London calling for fashion designer Natasha

Published: 13 Jul 2012 13:000 comments

LONDON'S calling for fashion designer of the future, Natasha McCann.

The 20-year-old Lisnaskea beauty, originally from London, will be packing her bags at the end of the Summer to take up her studies at Anglia Ruskan University, Cambridge.

Prepared to step into the world of high fashion, she had a taste of what life is like as a model this week when she took part in this week's Lifestyle shoot. Dressed in a casual vest top from River Island and jeans and wedge shoes from New Look she described how designing is all she has ever wanted to do.

"From as far back as I can remember, I haven't ever wanted to do anything else. I went to the Tech and did a foundation degree in art and design. I specialised in fashion. It was a one year course. I thought it was brilliant.

"You get to try everything and then you can make up your mind what you want to do. It just confirmed that fashion design was for me."

The former pupil of St Fanchea's College in Enniskillen makes frequent trips over to London to see family.

"I love shopping in Camden Market and Portoabella Road and I like all the vintage places as well," she said, "I would say my style very much depends on what mood I'm in. Handbags are my biggest weakness though. I must have at least 30 to 40 at home. My room is coming down with them."

Wearing a beige one shoulder dress from TopShop and a shoes from New Look, Natasha explained that besides fashion, her other passion in life is travelling.

"I'm going to Cyprus with a few friends in August so I will have to go shopping for a new suitcase of clothes! I think shorts are a real holiday essential. They are the sort of thing you can wear day and night, or a dress that can take you from the beach to a bar. I'm not very good at travelling light though -- my suitcase is always full of clothes!"

Natasha had an insight into life in the fashion lane last September when she and her mother went to London for Fashion Week.

"We had tickets for some of the shows," she explained, "I loved it. I would definitely go back again. It was all very glamorous and so strange -- all that build up and the the show would be over in a few minutes! And all the models were so serious!"

The petite brunette has had some experience on the runway herself, modelling for different charity events in the past.

"I enjoyed the modelling but I think I would rather be a designer!"

And she was one of this year's Fermanagh Rose contestants.

"It was such a good experience," she said, wearing a pair of shorts from River Island, shoes from New Look and t-shirt bought in London, "It was my mum and my grandad who put me forward to do it and I'm so glad I took their advice and went for it. I had such good fun. It's the sort of experience I would only want to do once though, it is such a good memory that I want to keep it that way."

Besides her pending trip to Cyrpus Natasha will be using this summer to prepare for her university experience.

"I'm really looking forward to it," she said, in her final outfit of the day, a white top and baby blue jeans from TopShop, "It will be a completely new experience and I'll get a sense of independence. I have family over there too, so it's a bit like home from home."

Comments

Get more stories from our Lifestyle section

10 Apr 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Hairdresser Ali’s skills valued by friends getting ready for nights out

ENNISKILLEN hairdresser, Ali Magee admits she isn’t much of a cook. The 21-year-old says she is liable to give her family food poisoning thanks to her limited cooking skills!

20 Mar 2014 14:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Wearing your art on your sleeve

It was a bit of a mad notion ... it is painful but it’s bearable,” says Darren Teague, as he gets a half-sleeve tattooed on his upper arm.

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Devoted mum Jennifer itching to get back on the dance floor

DANCING is Jennifer Simpson’s great escape in life. The 26-year-old has a hectic daily routine as a busy mum of two. But she can get lost in her own little world when she dances.

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Busy mum Lisa manages to strike balance between work and home

BUSY mum of two Lisa Clarke may look familiar.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Mairead takes move from Wales to Arney in her stride

Moving from Merthyr Tydfil, 20 miles north of Cardiff, to Arney is not be the easiest of transitions, but Mairead O’Connor has taken it in her stride.

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Beauty pageant boosted Seana’s confidence

ENNISKILLEN teen, Seana O’Connor says controversial beauty pageant, Miss Ulster has helped her overcome low self-esteem issues

17 Jan 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Cristian on the search for support for Top Model prize

Creative Media student Cristian Mulligan has big plans. The 19-year-old Rosslea man has reached the finals of Top Model UK and will compete in the grand final shows at The Hilton Metropole, London, on April 5.

9 Jan 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Books loom for girl that likes to ‘dress up and make an effort’

WITH the party season well and truly behind her, Collegiate pupil Sarah-Jayne Makhlouf is spending the new year with her head in the books.

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

A rare day of pampering for busy mum Joanne

PART-TIME hairdresser and full-time mummy, Joanne Bratton from Ederney has little time for herself.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Newlywed Leanne looks ahead to a stylish Christmas

BALLINAMALLARD newly wed, Leanne Graham, (née Gillian) says she has inherited her vanity from her father!

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Bethany knows what she wants

COLLEGIATE Grammar School pupil, Bethany Blair may only be 14 but she’s a lady who knows what she wants!

25 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

French flair is the business for Helen

It was a trip to Sydney in August 2012 to visit her two children that cemented Helen Dolan’s resolve to “do something for herself”.

17 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

It’s all about America for cheerleader Amy

The classic American preppy look is Amy Greene’s style choice for this week’s Lifestyle shoot.

3 Oct 2013 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

The London look still inspires Tara

SHE may be a Fermanagh girl at heart but mum of two Tara Flanagan still likes to maintain some of the aspects of her former London life.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • Editorial Department

Mr. Mervyn Charles Somerville

Much shock and sadness have been felt in the community following the recent passing of Mervyn Charles Somerville of 6 Hazelwood, Dromore Road, Irvinestown.

12 Sep 2013 13:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Young fashion designer needs your votes

For as long as she can remember, Jenna Mulligan has been imagining her wedding dress.

5 Sep 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fashionistas out in style for cancer charity

Approximately 100 local fashionistas attended a charity Ladies Night in the Enniskillen Hotel recently, with all proceeds going to Cancer Research UK.

29 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Trendy fashions on view for a special cause

A colourful fashion show, highlighting the latest trends, was held in Life nightclub recently in aid of a very worthwhile cause.

15 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fitness and dedication keep cheerleaders at their peak

"Cheerleading is an athletic discipline; it's not about pom poms," states Sarah Tierney.

2 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Making most of life before it's back to the books!

School's out for 18-year-old Rachael Tierney, from Mullaghmeen, who has just completed her A Levels at Mount Lourdes Grammar School.