Adele's principal weakness is for shoes

Published: 19 Jul 2012 13:000 comments

THE schools may be closed for the summer but Enniskillen Integrated Primary School principal, Adele Kerr is still busy at the books.

Despite her hectic schedule though, the stylish headmistress turned heads during the Queen's recent visit to Enniskillen in her outfit from none other than M&S.

And when she (reluctantly!) agreed to be this week's Lifestyle model, she was quick to point out that when it comes to fashion, she isn't drawn in by big brand name labels.

"I think as you get older you grow into your body," said Mrs Kerr, "You wear what suits you, you shop for what suits your body and not what the label is or what's in trend. Next's jeans are the only kind of jeans that I like. I have tried designer jeans and they don't work for me. I would rather wear clothes that haven't broken the bank and team them with a nice pair of shoes."

Indeed as she modelled her first look, a casual pair of jeans, top and necklace from Next and eye-catching shoes by Irregular Choice in Shuphoric, her penchant for heels became all too clear.

"Shoes are my weakness," she confessed, "I have quite a few pairs to my name!"

And it seems her seven-year-old daughter, Alex, is following in her stilettoed footsteps.

"She loves Lelli Kelly shoes," explained Mrs Kerr, "She loves her style. Everything has to match and be co-ordinated. Anything she puts in her hair has to match the clothes that she is wearing!"

In her second outfit for the photoshoot, a dress from Next and shoes from Shuphoric, Mrs Kerr displayed her talents in customising her look to suit her style.

"I didn't like the belt that came with this dress so I took it off and added my own and then the expensive shoes!" she said.

The primary school principal had the opportunity to meet with the Queen when she took her historic steps in St Michael's Church last month.

But it's not the first time the two fashionistas have come face to face!

"That's actually the third time I have met her," said Mrs Kerr, "She was very relaxed in St Michael's, very smiley and pleased to see everyone. The other two times I have met her were very formal occasions. I'm a Queen's Scout so I met her at a Colour Party at Windsor and at a garden party for her Golden Jubilee."

Wearing a black dress from M&S, black shoes with a hint of leopard print and a matching leopard print bag from Hepburn, the mum of one was celebrating her 19th wedding anniversary on the day of the shoot.

"We always get out the wedding video on every wedding anniversary," she explained, "When I got married it was all about the Lady Diana wedding dress -- the meringue! But I went against the grain and went for a straight dress. I remember coming down the stairs on my wedding day and daddy looking at me asking: 'Is that it?!' But when I look back now I'm glad that I went for that straight dress because it has stood the test of time. And that's the way I am about all my clothes, I like something that will last.

"I would always go for that rather than something that is in fashion at the moment."

Wearing a jumpsuit from M&S and pointed-toe slingbacks bought during a holiday in Spain, she admitted though that she has had her fair share of fashion disasters over the years too!

"Green leggings and flat shoes for one!" she said, "I was going to a disco. At the time I thought I was gorgeous!"

A principal in Fermanagh for the last 19 years, Mrs Kerr, originally from Lisburn, has been kept on her toes in work.

From dressing up as the Queen to mark the Diamond Jubilee to organising a lipdub to mark 30 years of integrated education in Northern Ireland, this year the principal has gone all out to capture the imagination of her pupils.

But now almost finished with school work for this year, she is looking forward to a bit of R&R at home.

Wearing a sparkly dress from M&S and shoes from Next, she described how spare time is precious to her.

"I do zumba dancing with Dylan Quinn and since we have two dogs we do lots of walking up at Springfield where we live. I also enjoy spending lots of time with my family too, that's really important to me. In the summer everybody comes down to stay with us. We always say our house is like a B&B at this time of the year!"

Comments

Get more stories from our Lifestyle section

10 Apr 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Hairdresser Ali’s skills valued by friends getting ready for nights out

ENNISKILLEN hairdresser, Ali Magee admits she isn’t much of a cook. The 21-year-old says she is liable to give her family food poisoning thanks to her limited cooking skills!

20 Mar 2014 14:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Wearing your art on your sleeve

It was a bit of a mad notion ... it is painful but it’s bearable,” says Darren Teague, as he gets a half-sleeve tattooed on his upper arm.

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Devoted mum Jennifer itching to get back on the dance floor

DANCING is Jennifer Simpson’s great escape in life. The 26-year-old has a hectic daily routine as a busy mum of two. But she can get lost in her own little world when she dances.

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Busy mum Lisa manages to strike balance between work and home

BUSY mum of two Lisa Clarke may look familiar.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Mairead takes move from Wales to Arney in her stride

Moving from Merthyr Tydfil, 20 miles north of Cardiff, to Arney is not be the easiest of transitions, but Mairead O’Connor has taken it in her stride.

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Beauty pageant boosted Seana’s confidence

ENNISKILLEN teen, Seana O’Connor says controversial beauty pageant, Miss Ulster has helped her overcome low self-esteem issues

17 Jan 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Cristian on the search for support for Top Model prize

Creative Media student Cristian Mulligan has big plans. The 19-year-old Rosslea man has reached the finals of Top Model UK and will compete in the grand final shows at The Hilton Metropole, London, on April 5.

9 Jan 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Books loom for girl that likes to ‘dress up and make an effort’

WITH the party season well and truly behind her, Collegiate pupil Sarah-Jayne Makhlouf is spending the new year with her head in the books.

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

A rare day of pampering for busy mum Joanne

PART-TIME hairdresser and full-time mummy, Joanne Bratton from Ederney has little time for herself.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Newlywed Leanne looks ahead to a stylish Christmas

BALLINAMALLARD newly wed, Leanne Graham, (née Gillian) says she has inherited her vanity from her father!

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Bethany knows what she wants

COLLEGIATE Grammar School pupil, Bethany Blair may only be 14 but she’s a lady who knows what she wants!

25 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

French flair is the business for Helen

It was a trip to Sydney in August 2012 to visit her two children that cemented Helen Dolan’s resolve to “do something for herself”.

17 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

It’s all about America for cheerleader Amy

The classic American preppy look is Amy Greene’s style choice for this week’s Lifestyle shoot.

3 Oct 2013 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

The London look still inspires Tara

SHE may be a Fermanagh girl at heart but mum of two Tara Flanagan still likes to maintain some of the aspects of her former London life.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • Editorial Department

Mr. Mervyn Charles Somerville

Much shock and sadness have been felt in the community following the recent passing of Mervyn Charles Somerville of 6 Hazelwood, Dromore Road, Irvinestown.

12 Sep 2013 13:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Young fashion designer needs your votes

For as long as she can remember, Jenna Mulligan has been imagining her wedding dress.

5 Sep 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fashionistas out in style for cancer charity

Approximately 100 local fashionistas attended a charity Ladies Night in the Enniskillen Hotel recently, with all proceeds going to Cancer Research UK.

29 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Trendy fashions on view for a special cause

A colourful fashion show, highlighting the latest trends, was held in Life nightclub recently in aid of a very worthwhile cause.

15 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fitness and dedication keep cheerleaders at their peak

"Cheerleading is an athletic discipline; it's not about pom poms," states Sarah Tierney.

2 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Making most of life before it's back to the books!

School's out for 18-year-old Rachael Tierney, from Mullaghmeen, who has just completed her A Levels at Mount Lourdes Grammar School.