Globe-trotting Zana with a passion for fashion

Published: 25 Oct 2012 09:300 comments

TAKE a good look at 18-year-old Zana Bratton -- in a couple of years she could be running the country!

The Collegiate Grammar School pupil has her eyes set on a career in politics.

And having already benefited from some work experience up in Stormont, she's determined she will be joining the rest of the folks on the hill in the not to distant future.

"I have an opinion on everything!" says the brunette as she takes part in our Lifestyle photoshoot this week.

Wearing a red and black polka dot dress from Jane Norman teamed with black court shoes and glasses to match, Zana looks like she means business.

Studying history, politics and RE at A-level, she says she has aspirations of one day becoming a MLA.

"I did work experience with Tom Elliott while he was party leader," she says, "He is a really nice gentleman. I had a day up in Stormont which was great -- I can see myself working up there in the future! I had two days in his office as well so I got to see just how hectic it can be!"

Zana takes up her politics studies at Mount Lourdes through the Fermanagh Learning Community.

"I really enjoy going to a different school to learn about politics," she says, "All the girls over there are really friendly and the teacher is really good fun."

Wearing a tweed jacket and trousers from Exhibit with a blouse from Primark, the girl from Lack says any spare time is few and far between at present.

"I have a part-time job in the Lough Erne Hotel in Kesh," she says, "And I'm a member of the local Youth Council. We took a trip to Berlin over the summer for 10 days. It was great, I really enjoyed it. We visited one of the first concentration camps and did a lot of team building and work shops as well as a bit of shopping and all the touristy things of course!"

Zana describes herself as a passionate globe-trotter.

"I love travelling -- I used to want to be an air hostess or a beautician on a cruise ship to be able to travel around the world! The very first time I went on a plane I went to New Zealand, which was a long flight, so that really broke me in! And the year after that I went to Canada. I would really love to go to New York some time. We took a school trip to Austria when I was in Year 9 and I loved the climate over there. I really enjoyed the skiing too -- I was surprised I took to it is so well. It's one of the very few sports that I actually enjoy."

As she models a black and white striped top from New Look with a jacket from H&M and black trousers, Zana reveals that she has just celebrated her 18th birthday.

"We went to Omagh on Friday night with school friends and then had a family and friend's party on Saturday so my 18th was well celebrated! I got lots of lovely presents and a massive birthday cake too. I had such a lovely birthday."

As she wears her fourth and final outfit, a glamorous black dress from Asda and shoes from Barratts, she says Kate Middleton is her style-crush.

"She's so elegant, classy and natural with just the right amount of glitz and glamour," says Zana, "Plus she really loves to recycle her clothes and use them over again which is great! She understands that not everyone can afford to buy a different outfit for every occasion. Dunnes Stores sometimes have really nice dresses and I love H&M as well," she adds.

Comments

Get more stories from our Lifestyle section

10 Apr 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Hairdresser Ali’s skills valued by friends getting ready for nights out

ENNISKILLEN hairdresser, Ali Magee admits she isn’t much of a cook. The 21-year-old says she is liable to give her family food poisoning thanks to her limited cooking skills!

20 Mar 2014 14:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Wearing your art on your sleeve

It was a bit of a mad notion ... it is painful but it’s bearable,” says Darren Teague, as he gets a half-sleeve tattooed on his upper arm.

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Devoted mum Jennifer itching to get back on the dance floor

DANCING is Jennifer Simpson’s great escape in life. The 26-year-old has a hectic daily routine as a busy mum of two. But she can get lost in her own little world when she dances.

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Busy mum Lisa manages to strike balance between work and home

BUSY mum of two Lisa Clarke may look familiar.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Mairead takes move from Wales to Arney in her stride

Moving from Merthyr Tydfil, 20 miles north of Cardiff, to Arney is not be the easiest of transitions, but Mairead O’Connor has taken it in her stride.

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Beauty pageant boosted Seana’s confidence

ENNISKILLEN teen, Seana O’Connor says controversial beauty pageant, Miss Ulster has helped her overcome low self-esteem issues

17 Jan 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Cristian on the search for support for Top Model prize

Creative Media student Cristian Mulligan has big plans. The 19-year-old Rosslea man has reached the finals of Top Model UK and will compete in the grand final shows at The Hilton Metropole, London, on April 5.

9 Jan 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Books loom for girl that likes to ‘dress up and make an effort’

WITH the party season well and truly behind her, Collegiate pupil Sarah-Jayne Makhlouf is spending the new year with her head in the books.

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

A rare day of pampering for busy mum Joanne

PART-TIME hairdresser and full-time mummy, Joanne Bratton from Ederney has little time for herself.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Newlywed Leanne looks ahead to a stylish Christmas

BALLINAMALLARD newly wed, Leanne Graham, (née Gillian) says she has inherited her vanity from her father!

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Bethany knows what she wants

COLLEGIATE Grammar School pupil, Bethany Blair may only be 14 but she’s a lady who knows what she wants!

25 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

French flair is the business for Helen

It was a trip to Sydney in August 2012 to visit her two children that cemented Helen Dolan’s resolve to “do something for herself”.

17 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

It’s all about America for cheerleader Amy

The classic American preppy look is Amy Greene’s style choice for this week’s Lifestyle shoot.

3 Oct 2013 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

The London look still inspires Tara

SHE may be a Fermanagh girl at heart but mum of two Tara Flanagan still likes to maintain some of the aspects of her former London life.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • Editorial Department

Mr. Mervyn Charles Somerville

Much shock and sadness have been felt in the community following the recent passing of Mervyn Charles Somerville of 6 Hazelwood, Dromore Road, Irvinestown.

12 Sep 2013 13:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Young fashion designer needs your votes

For as long as she can remember, Jenna Mulligan has been imagining her wedding dress.

5 Sep 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fashionistas out in style for cancer charity

Approximately 100 local fashionistas attended a charity Ladies Night in the Enniskillen Hotel recently, with all proceeds going to Cancer Research UK.

29 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Trendy fashions on view for a special cause

A colourful fashion show, highlighting the latest trends, was held in Life nightclub recently in aid of a very worthwhile cause.

15 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fitness and dedication keep cheerleaders at their peak

"Cheerleading is an athletic discipline; it's not about pom poms," states Sarah Tierney.

2 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Making most of life before it's back to the books!

School's out for 18-year-old Rachael Tierney, from Mullaghmeen, who has just completed her A Levels at Mount Lourdes Grammar School.