Not so Strictly dancer is rushed off her feet

Published: 22 Nov 2012 09:301 comment

GLAMOROUS 33-year-old, Sarah Tierney is Fermanagh's answer to Strictly Come Dancing star, Denise Van Outen.

The footloose blonde will be donning her dancing shoes tonight (Thursday) to take part in the Westville Family Resource Centre's Not So Strictly Come Dancing charity fundraiser.

Inspired by the glitz and glamour of the BBC One Saturday night TV show, she spent some time this week modelling some of the outfits she thinks will be a hit this coming festive season.

Wearing a black tunic dress with black court shoes from Monsoon, Sarah says she is rushed off her feet at the moment.

Between rehearsals for the Not So Strictly Final and her coaching for the local cheerleading squad, she hardly has a moment to spare.

"I have been running the cheerleading squad for 10 years now," explains Sarah, "I set it up initially because my mother had been running the Lakeland Marinettes before me. When I took it over, I decided to move with the times and went for the cheerleading, which was starting to become very popular over here."

It may have been slow to pick up at the start but Sarah now has 120 girls on her books.

And as she models another black tunic dress, this time with cosy fur cuffs and a matching scarf from Monsoon, she admits it can be a tough job keeping them all in line!

"I end up losing my voice on practice nights!" she says, "We have four different age groups from fives years to 21. Each of the groups practise at different times."

And it seems the hard work is paying off with the Jets Cheerleading Squad in hot demand to perform at various events including the Not So Strictly fundraiser.

"I have no time to myself though," Sarah admits, as she wears a purple glitter embellished dress and silver shoes from Monsoon, "I'm never home."

With her hair and make-up styled by Grainne Moane, Sarah looks perfectly preened for the Christmas party season.

"I would normally go for a cocktail dress for a Christmas party, something very glamorous," she says, "I generally prefer the classic look. I don't really follow trends.

"I like boutiques but I would go to Monsoon quite a lot though -- their Christmas stuff is fabulous. I get a lot of stuff on mail order because it is a lot easier when you don't have time."

It's not all late-night festive party bashes for Sarah though.

The fitness enthusiast insists she enjoys nothing more than spending Christmas at home with her family.

But there's plenty of hard work ahead before she can even think about relaxing this Yuletide.

"My partner for Not So Strictly is Padraig Lunny from Blakes of the Hollow.

He has no prior experience in dancing but he's brilliant -- he keeps me right!

"We had been practising twice a week to start off with but we have been practising every night now in the run up to the final. The first night performing before a big crowd was very nerve wrecking, but there was a really good buzz. I would have done a bit of dancing myself years ago, but it was always in a team. It is very different when it's just you and your dance partner!"

In a lace black dress from Monsoon Sarah says she is championing Denise Van Outen to win the Celebrity TV competition.

"I haven't had the time to watch Strictly Come Dancing much this year but I do like Denise Van Outen and Ferne Britton has been looking fabulous. I love the dressing up as much as the dancing!"

In her final look, a red dress with a sliver clutch bag from Monsoon, Sarah says she enjoys running to keep fit.

"It clears the head. I would be into my fitness -- I try anyway! I go to the gym as well when I have the time," she adds.

Comments

Get more stories from our Lifestyle section

10 Apr 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Hairdresser Ali’s skills valued by friends getting ready for nights out

ENNISKILLEN hairdresser, Ali Magee admits she isn’t much of a cook. The 21-year-old says she is liable to give her family food poisoning thanks to her limited cooking skills!

20 Mar 2014 14:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Wearing your art on your sleeve

It was a bit of a mad notion ... it is painful but it’s bearable,” says Darren Teague, as he gets a half-sleeve tattooed on his upper arm.

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Devoted mum Jennifer itching to get back on the dance floor

DANCING is Jennifer Simpson’s great escape in life. The 26-year-old has a hectic daily routine as a busy mum of two. But she can get lost in her own little world when she dances.

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Busy mum Lisa manages to strike balance between work and home

BUSY mum of two Lisa Clarke may look familiar.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Mairead takes move from Wales to Arney in her stride

Moving from Merthyr Tydfil, 20 miles north of Cardiff, to Arney is not be the easiest of transitions, but Mairead O’Connor has taken it in her stride.

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Beauty pageant boosted Seana’s confidence

ENNISKILLEN teen, Seana O’Connor says controversial beauty pageant, Miss Ulster has helped her overcome low self-esteem issues

17 Jan 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Cristian on the search for support for Top Model prize

Creative Media student Cristian Mulligan has big plans. The 19-year-old Rosslea man has reached the finals of Top Model UK and will compete in the grand final shows at The Hilton Metropole, London, on April 5.

9 Jan 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Books loom for girl that likes to ‘dress up and make an effort’

WITH the party season well and truly behind her, Collegiate pupil Sarah-Jayne Makhlouf is spending the new year with her head in the books.

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

A rare day of pampering for busy mum Joanne

PART-TIME hairdresser and full-time mummy, Joanne Bratton from Ederney has little time for herself.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Newlywed Leanne looks ahead to a stylish Christmas

BALLINAMALLARD newly wed, Leanne Graham, (née Gillian) says she has inherited her vanity from her father!

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Bethany knows what she wants

COLLEGIATE Grammar School pupil, Bethany Blair may only be 14 but she’s a lady who knows what she wants!

25 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

French flair is the business for Helen

It was a trip to Sydney in August 2012 to visit her two children that cemented Helen Dolan’s resolve to “do something for herself”.

17 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

It’s all about America for cheerleader Amy

The classic American preppy look is Amy Greene’s style choice for this week’s Lifestyle shoot.

3 Oct 2013 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

The London look still inspires Tara

SHE may be a Fermanagh girl at heart but mum of two Tara Flanagan still likes to maintain some of the aspects of her former London life.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • Editorial Department

Mr. Mervyn Charles Somerville

Much shock and sadness have been felt in the community following the recent passing of Mervyn Charles Somerville of 6 Hazelwood, Dromore Road, Irvinestown.

12 Sep 2013 13:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Young fashion designer needs your votes

For as long as she can remember, Jenna Mulligan has been imagining her wedding dress.

5 Sep 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fashionistas out in style for cancer charity

Approximately 100 local fashionistas attended a charity Ladies Night in the Enniskillen Hotel recently, with all proceeds going to Cancer Research UK.

29 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Trendy fashions on view for a special cause

A colourful fashion show, highlighting the latest trends, was held in Life nightclub recently in aid of a very worthwhile cause.

15 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fitness and dedication keep cheerleaders at their peak

"Cheerleading is an athletic discipline; it's not about pom poms," states Sarah Tierney.

2 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Making most of life before it's back to the books!

School's out for 18-year-old Rachael Tierney, from Mullaghmeen, who has just completed her A Levels at Mount Lourdes Grammar School.