Gail finds a new confidence in fashion again

Published: 28 Dec 2012 09:300 comments

This week's special pre-New Year's Eve Lifestyle feature sees Newcastle-born Gail Simpson transform from leggings and tracksuit bottoms to ultimate glamour.

Under the watchful eye of colour and style consultant Catherine Robinson, Gail re-discovered her love of clothes and had a few 'Pretty Woman' experiences.

Gail underwent her own private transformation over the last few years, dropping from size 22 to 12 and is now determined to flaunt her renewed confidence through the sophisticated styles she picked up during the shoot.

The mum-of-two, who lives in Maguiresbridge with her husband and works in the Manor House Hotel, sought Catherine's advice and was amazed by the result.

"I had gained confidence after losing weight," Gail says, "but this is a different kind of confidence."

"Gail is going to Australia to visit her two sons in January," Catherine explains. "The aim is to take fashion to the Ozzies and she wants her sons to see her step off the plane and say 'Wow.'"

Catherine continues: "That's not going to be easy to maintain on a 24-hour journey."

"The last time I visited my sons I wore cut offs and vest tops," Gail recalls. "This time will be different!"

Catherine began with a body and colour consultation. "Gail can't go big on the shoulders but we can afford to add an illusion at her waist," she notes. "Her short haircut suits her face shape and she can't have long earrings as she has a long face; that's the level of detail I'm going into," she adds.

A 'wardrobe audit' was next on the agenda. "There are three reasons for a clearout: to get rid of junk, build outfits from what you've got and identify what pieces are missing," Catherine states.

"I can't believe the outfits Catherine put together for me. I have less clothes but more to wear!" says Gail.

"I had so many things I had got for a 'bargain' and never put on my back, like most women. I would wear a suit to work each day and comfort clothes the rest of the time."

The thought of shopping for weddings in particular horrified Gail. "I would buy six dresses and bags and bring everything back." Now, Gail has been supplied with a personalised colour chart and notebook so she can continue to follow Catherine's lead while shopping around town.

"I will take what I've learnt with me and have already bought a new pair of boots and am going shopping with my mum later," Gail said.

Her first outfit is a smart-casual ensemble, kindly provided by Graham Womenswear. Each piece came from Graham's exclusive Armani range. The navy baby corduroy jeans were "perfect" with Gail's height. These were teamed with a navy and mushroom check blazer, a gold lurex Henley-style top and a silk Armani logo scarf. Her brown boots and bag were from Clarks.

"I wouldn't have known to put this together,"Gail comments. "I would have thought I would need a navy jacket to go with the jeans but when I put it on I felt a million dollars."

Gail's second and favourite outfit was a Michael Kors navy jersey silk dress, also from Graham's Womenswear. The store was "absolutely delighted" to be asked to feature the famous American designer's fashion, particularly his world-renowned handbags. These are very popular locally as the only other Michael Kors stockist in the region is House of Fraser.

"This outfit is perfect for a day's shopping followed by an evening meal at a fancy restaurant," Catherine comments.

Featuring Michael Kors' trademark chain print and leather and gold detail on the front, the jersey dress made Gail feel "feminine and glamorous." Kors' tan soft leather handbag completed the elegant and comfortable look.

"I just loved this dress," Gail states. "I felt so womanly, feminine and glam!"

Gail's final outfit was "an eye-poppingly good" ball gown; perfect for a New year's Eve party. The gold Super Fashions 'Simply Devine' backless evening wear dress is available in City Lady and features jewelled embellishment and a figure hugging fishtail skirt.

"I put it on and I said: 'Can we go out now?'" Gail laughs. "I wanted to walk around Erneside and say: 'Look at me'. It was a real Pretty Woman moment."

Gail adds: "I wish my husband could have seen me but he'll see the photos."

Gail's hair was styled by Ronan from Clive Alexander's Haircutters, based in Erneside Shopping Centre. Gail commends him for giving her "three different hairstyles out of one haircut."

Her make-up was done by Siobhan Grey from Killadeas, who uses High Definition Airbrush Makeup. The product is famous for its use on X Factor and Strictly Come Dancing.

The elegant set furniture was provided by Delta House and Home, Enniskillen.

"Within the space of a week I've got my love of clothes back," concludes Gail.

"I have my outfits for the next few days planned out and I get them ready the night before like you used to when you were going to school. I'm so excited."

Comments

Get more stories from our Lifestyle section

10 Apr 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Hairdresser Ali’s skills valued by friends getting ready for nights out

ENNISKILLEN hairdresser, Ali Magee admits she isn’t much of a cook. The 21-year-old says she is liable to give her family food poisoning thanks to her limited cooking skills!

20 Mar 2014 14:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Wearing your art on your sleeve

It was a bit of a mad notion ... it is painful but it’s bearable,” says Darren Teague, as he gets a half-sleeve tattooed on his upper arm.

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Devoted mum Jennifer itching to get back on the dance floor

DANCING is Jennifer Simpson’s great escape in life. The 26-year-old has a hectic daily routine as a busy mum of two. But she can get lost in her own little world when she dances.

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Busy mum Lisa manages to strike balance between work and home

BUSY mum of two Lisa Clarke may look familiar.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Mairead takes move from Wales to Arney in her stride

Moving from Merthyr Tydfil, 20 miles north of Cardiff, to Arney is not be the easiest of transitions, but Mairead O’Connor has taken it in her stride.

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Beauty pageant boosted Seana’s confidence

ENNISKILLEN teen, Seana O’Connor says controversial beauty pageant, Miss Ulster has helped her overcome low self-esteem issues

17 Jan 2014 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Cristian on the search for support for Top Model prize

Creative Media student Cristian Mulligan has big plans. The 19-year-old Rosslea man has reached the finals of Top Model UK and will compete in the grand final shows at The Hilton Metropole, London, on April 5.

9 Jan 2014 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Books loom for girl that likes to ‘dress up and make an effort’

WITH the party season well and truly behind her, Collegiate pupil Sarah-Jayne Makhlouf is spending the new year with her head in the books.

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

A rare day of pampering for busy mum Joanne

PART-TIME hairdresser and full-time mummy, Joanne Bratton from Ederney has little time for herself.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Newlywed Leanne looks ahead to a stylish Christmas

BALLINAMALLARD newly wed, Leanne Graham, (née Gillian) says she has inherited her vanity from her father!

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • Julie Kenwell

Bethany knows what she wants

COLLEGIATE Grammar School pupil, Bethany Blair may only be 14 but she’s a lady who knows what she wants!

25 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

French flair is the business for Helen

It was a trip to Sydney in August 2012 to visit her two children that cemented Helen Dolan’s resolve to “do something for herself”.

17 Oct 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

It’s all about America for cheerleader Amy

The classic American preppy look is Amy Greene’s style choice for this week’s Lifestyle shoot.

3 Oct 2013 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

The London look still inspires Tara

SHE may be a Fermanagh girl at heart but mum of two Tara Flanagan still likes to maintain some of the aspects of her former London life.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • Editorial Department

Mr. Mervyn Charles Somerville

Much shock and sadness have been felt in the community following the recent passing of Mervyn Charles Somerville of 6 Hazelwood, Dromore Road, Irvinestown.

12 Sep 2013 13:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Young fashion designer needs your votes

For as long as she can remember, Jenna Mulligan has been imagining her wedding dress.

5 Sep 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fashionistas out in style for cancer charity

Approximately 100 local fashionistas attended a charity Ladies Night in the Enniskillen Hotel recently, with all proceeds going to Cancer Research UK.

29 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Trendy fashions on view for a special cause

A colourful fashion show, highlighting the latest trends, was held in Life nightclub recently in aid of a very worthwhile cause.

15 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Fitness and dedication keep cheerleaders at their peak

"Cheerleading is an athletic discipline; it's not about pom poms," states Sarah Tierney.

2 Aug 2013 09:30 • Meadhbh Monahan

Making most of life before it's back to the books!

School's out for 18-year-old Rachael Tierney, from Mullaghmeen, who has just completed her A Levels at Mount Lourdes Grammar School.