The mother of murdered toddler Millie Martin has “vigorously denied” being cruel to her baby daughter during the final months of her tragic life.

Rachael Martin, aged 25, from Erne Park, Kesh, appeared at Fermanagh Court on Monday charged with wilfully neglecting 15-month-old Millie in a manner likely to cause her unnecessary suffering or injury to health between September 1, and December 12, last year.

Millie died in the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children on December 11, last year. A postmortem revealed that she had suffered a massive and fatal wound to the back of her head but had also sustained fractures to her ribs at different times and received a hard blow to the stomach several days prior to her death. There were also injuries to her genitals.

Her mother’s partner, 30-year-old Barry McCarney, from Irvinestown, was subsequently charged with her murder and remains in custody awaiting trial.

On Monday Rachael Martin stood impassively in court as the charge that she wilfully neglected Millie was put to her.

A detective sergeant involved in investigating the case said he believed he could connect Martin with the offence.

In response to questions from Mr. Aubrey Murray, Martin’s defence solicitor, the officer confirmed that at all times since her daughter’s death she had fully co-operated with the police.

The detective also confirmed that Martin had “vigorously denied” the charge during a series of police interviews over two days.

He also confirmed that police did not believe Martin caused any of the injuries sustained by Millie.

Martin was released on her own bail of £750 and a surety of £500 on condition that she resides at Erne Park, Kesh, abides by a curfew from 7pm until 7am, does not drink alcohol or take drugs, except medicines prescribed by a doctor, and reports daily to Enniskillen Police Station. In addition she must have no contact with her co-accused, Barry McCarney, or any witnesses and is not to discuss the case with family members.

Martin was remanded on bail to appear at Fermanagh Court on October 25.