It looked like the coffin was floating on the shoulders of the people. There was thunderous singing of Amazing Grace. I realised God was among us.

Published: 25 Oct 2012 15:30

People often say to the Rev. David Cupples that dealing with the Enniskillen bombing must have been a baptism of fire for the Minister who had only been in Enniskillen for little more than two months.

The Rev. David Cupples and Gladys Edmondson in discussion during the "Day of Remembrance at the Ely Centre".

Aged only 30, and about to embark on what was meant to be his tenth morning worship at Enniskillen Presbyterian Church, he had been preparing for a christening when he heard the bomb go off as he sat in his study at his home. He was to later learn that six of his congregation had lost their lives.

He concedes the events were "difficult". "It wasn't as difficult after ten weeks as if it had happened after 10 years because I had not formed the emotional bonds or friendship with the people who died. I had been in their homes. The fact that I wasn't close friends at that point and to have a sufficient measure of detachment made me able to carry out my duties. Don't think that ministers carrying out funerals are robots who do not care. Of course we are emotionally involved. If people had been really close friends it would have been impossible for me to retain enough inner calm to carry out my duties," he said.

In the aftermath of the bombing, people had gathered in the Presbyterian Guildhall on the Queen Elizabeth Road, just metres away from where the bomb had gone off. "I suppose the first moment my faith was tested was the fear of how I was going to handle the situation. An important moment occurred when I walked inside the church hall," he recalled.

"I walked into a scene of emotional devastation, an indescribable atmosphere. People were ashen grey, sitting in a state of shock, crying. There was a high level of tension and fear and anxiety. It was confirmed that Johnny Megaw had died," he said.

A Book of Sermons he had been reading came to his mind as he was struck with the realisation of what had happened.

"I remember walking through the church hall door for the first time the enormity of what had happened began to dawn on me. I could physically feel my body begin to weaken, feeling going weak at the knees. I had been reading a Book of Sermons and thought of the story of Jesus calming the sea. You stand there and say the situation is not going to control me. God is in control. That point came to my mind when I was standing there in the church hall. I remember standing looking at the ceiling thinking I feel like panicking but my faith is going to make the decision not to panic. It was a most important moment for me," he said.

The moments that Johnny Megaw's coffin was carried aloft on a sea of humanity from the morgue in the Erne Hospital were particularly memorable.

"An unforgettable moment for me was at Johnny Megaw's service at the Erne Hospital. The crowd began singing Amazing Grace. It looked like the coffin was floating on a sea, bobbing up and down on the shoulders of the people carrying it. There was this huge, thunderous singing of Amazing Grace.

"I realised God was among us. There was a bigger picture where God will get the final victory," he said.

The morning of the bomb he recalls hearing the wail of sirens after the blast.

"I got in my car and went down Holly Hill. I remember Joe Kilpatrick, saluting at the old war memorial, straight as a ramrod. Standing in a white overcoat, saluting, unmoved. Belmore Street was cordoned off. I met Nan Lynch and she told me what had happened".

Hours were spent at the Erne Hospital trying to uncover news about members of the congregation. He later carried out the baptism, due to take place earlier at the morning service, at the baby's home.

An evening service was held at his church.

"I remember saying Psalm 46:1 'God is our refuge and strength. A very present help in trouble' and read out the names of the dead and injured, breaking down in tears in the pulpit," he recalled.

Get more stories from our Enniskillen Anniversary section

8 Nov 2012 16:57 • Rodney Edwards

The Queen sends a message to those affected by Enniskillen bomb 25 years on

HER Majesty The Queen has sent her prayers to the victims and families of the Enniskillen bomb as they mark the 25th anniversary of the atrocity today.

8 Nov 2012 16:25 • Rodney Edwards

Church service remembers victims of Enniskillen bomb

After the very moving service at the Cenotaph, a service of community remembrance and reflection then took place in St. Macartin's Cathedral, with family members leaving roses at the top of the church in a moving display of "pride, loving affection and gratitude".

8 Nov 2012 14:00

VIDEO: Service of Remembrance 25 years after Enniskillen bombing

Enniskillen paused to reflect this morning at a moving service of remembrance and thanksgiving 25 years after the Enniskillen bombing.

8 Nov 2012 12:56 • Rodney Edwards

Remembering the victims

THIS morning 's 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bomb will be marked by families of the bereaved and injured publicly and privately.

Social: Comments1 comment

8 Nov 2012 12:55 • Rodney Edwards

No new police Enniskillen investigation yet, insist PSNI

THE Police Service of Northern Ireland has downplayed the suggestion that a fresh investigation into the 1987 Enniskillen bomb will be launched.

8 Nov 2012 12:54 • Lily Dane

Prayer and family lift Joan's spirits when she hits rock bottom

Twenty five years ago, today, Thursday, student nurse Marie Wilson had her young life and career cut short in the Enniskillen Remembrance Day Bomb.

8 Nov 2012 12:53 • Rodney Edwards

I hadn't a clue who my wife and children were. I had to learn to walk and talk again

FOR several years after the Enniskillen bomb, George Evans couldn't bring himself to walk past the site of the atrocity.

8 Nov 2012 12:52 • Julie Kenwell

How the 'Spirit of Enniskillen' continues to change young lives

FERMANAGH students, Ashley Robinson and Donnchadh Tierney will travel to Toronto, Canada this Remembrance Sunday to represent the Spirit of Enniskillen Trust (SOE) during an achievement and well-being conference.

8 Nov 2012 12:51 • Sarah Saunderson

One of the darkest and longest days

Jennifer Magee was only 15 years old when the Enniskillen bomb exploded as she made her way from her home down the Forthill steps to watch the remembrance parade in 1987.

8 Nov 2012 12:50 • Chris Donegan

You wonder how the bombers feel now about abhorrent act

Pat Lunny was at Mass when he heard the bang.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Reasons to reflect on our darkest day

The 8th of November, 1987. 10.43 a.m.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Permanent memorial planned and services to mark anniversary

The 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing will be marked with a service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance at the Cenotaph on Thursday, November 8.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Thanks, Sammy, for pulling me from the bomb rubble

Sam Foster recalls the awful moment he felt the last pulse of a dying man whom he had helped to pull from the rubble.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

I thought I 'was breathing my last'

25 years on Daphne Stephenson still gets the sensation of being buried in rubble. She dislikes enclosed spaces and even in church likes to be on the outside of the pew so she has a way to get out.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Seeing the hurt and horror of that morning - every day

Anna Dixon says she spends her life watching the Enniskillen bomb.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

New drug is 'last chance' for man still suffering

A chemotherapy drug to be administered in the coming days will be Stephen Gault's "last chance" to prevent a doctor's diagnosis that he could end up in a wheelchair becoming a reality.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

'We still have questions not answered'

Victims and those who were bereaved in the Enniskillen bombing deserve answers to their questions about what happened on that day, Margaret Veitch feels.

25 Oct 2012 15:30

Nurse shocked as she finds friends on hospital trolleys

Walking into Erne Hospital Casualty department to find friends and acquaintances on trolleys was the task that was to face Gladys Edmundson, who was a nursing Sister.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Rodney Edwards

Responses from across the world for shocked community

ENNISKILLEN was going from strength to strength during the eighties; it was thriving, it was moving forward and locals were proud of their town. It was quite something to behold; as was the resilience and energy of the people who were all so eager for their community to develop.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Lily Dane

Using the past to move to a positive future

For Enniskillen Bomb survivor Stephen Ross, recollections of the blast on Remembrance Sunday, November 8, 1987 remain as vivid now as the actual day of the event. Now a father of four, living in Basingstoke, he says it does not feel like it took place 25 years ago next month.