'We still have questions not answered'

Published: 25 Oct 2012 15:30

Victims and those who were bereaved in the Enniskillen bombing deserve answers to their questions about what happened on that day, Margaret Veitch feels.

Jim Dixon and Margaret Veitch in discussion.

Margaret lost both her parents William and Nessie Mullan, proprietors of Mullan's well-known chemist's shop on Darling Street, in the Enniskillen bombing.

"Why should I move on until I get some kind of closure? We need to understand what happened and why it happened. The more we shout about things like the Bloody Sunday enquiry. The people involved there shouted, they spent £200 million and they got answers to their questions. I would like answers to my questions," she said.

"I feel I never wanted to be part of this. I hate it. But I owe it to my Dad and Mum never to forget what happened or I would feel they died in vain," she said. The pain caused by her parents' deaths never leaves her.

Margaret heard the awful news just as a holiday in Africa with her late husband Crawford was drawing to its close. As proprietor of Veitch's fashion shop on Belmore Street, she had won a window dressing competition.

"Just before I left, my Mum said, 'I wish you weren't going so far away'. I said, 'Mum, do not worry. We will not be gone before we are back. Where's Daddy?' 'Gone to walk the dog'. He did not want to say goodbye. The last I saw mum was at the kitchen door saying 'Have a lovely holiday'," she recalled.

"We were due home on Monday night. We had breakfast and Crawford lifted a newspaper. World news said 'Bomb in Enniskillen'. He was an awful panicker. They had reported six dead and 40 injured. Crawford phoned home and his sister told him the news. He did not tell me direct. He said my father and mother were very badly injured. I took him by the arm and said 'tell me the truth'. It was shock and horror and as if my life had ended. It was just dreadful," she said.

The plane journey on the connecting flight from London to Belfast was terrible, surrounded by journalists flying over to cover the story and getting glimpses of newspapers which included photographs of her beloved parents.

She did not feel she could answer reporters' questions. An injured Gordon Wilson, who lost his daughter Marie, gave an interview to the BBC with his arm in a sling in which he said he forgave those involved. His words made global headlines and this took some pressure off others. "I could not comprehend what had happened. Gordon Wilson did take an awful lot of pressure off us. We did not know what to say. I was hurt. I was angry, so emotional. It is hard to describe how you feel. The best piece of advice my husband gave me was if you do not know what to say, say nothing," she said.

While the anniversary will be difficult, she and her family do not need significant dates to remember her parents.

"Every anniversary is bad but we don't need anniversaries to remember our parents. This 25th anniversary is very, very hard. It does not get any easier. I have life before the bomb and life after the bomb. I feel my parents missed out on an awful lot in their later years. They had worked hard. They did not live to see their grandchildren growing up," she said.

"It was just horrible. The shock and horror. It is in your heart for the rest of your life. That is what we will never get over," she said.

"I do not think we will ever get justice. It hurts me so much. The NIO and British Government do not care. Is it because if we speak out we are rocking the boat? We are not allowed to say too much, it might rock the peace process. We have had to move on. What do we move on to?" she asked.

Get more stories from our Enniskillen Anniversary section

8 Nov 2012 16:57 • Rodney Edwards

The Queen sends a message to those affected by Enniskillen bomb 25 years on

HER Majesty The Queen has sent her prayers to the victims and families of the Enniskillen bomb as they mark the 25th anniversary of the atrocity today.

8 Nov 2012 16:25 • Rodney Edwards

Church service remembers victims of Enniskillen bomb

After the very moving service at the Cenotaph, a service of community remembrance and reflection then took place in St. Macartin's Cathedral, with family members leaving roses at the top of the church in a moving display of "pride, loving affection and gratitude".

8 Nov 2012 14:00

VIDEO: Service of Remembrance 25 years after Enniskillen bombing

Enniskillen paused to reflect this morning at a moving service of remembrance and thanksgiving 25 years after the Enniskillen bombing.

8 Nov 2012 12:56 • Rodney Edwards

Remembering the victims

THIS morning 's 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bomb will be marked by families of the bereaved and injured publicly and privately.

Social: Comments1 comment

8 Nov 2012 12:55 • Rodney Edwards

No new police Enniskillen investigation yet, insist PSNI

THE Police Service of Northern Ireland has downplayed the suggestion that a fresh investigation into the 1987 Enniskillen bomb will be launched.

8 Nov 2012 12:54 • Lily Dane

Prayer and family lift Joan's spirits when she hits rock bottom

Twenty five years ago, today, Thursday, student nurse Marie Wilson had her young life and career cut short in the Enniskillen Remembrance Day Bomb.

8 Nov 2012 12:53 • Rodney Edwards

I hadn't a clue who my wife and children were. I had to learn to walk and talk again

FOR several years after the Enniskillen bomb, George Evans couldn't bring himself to walk past the site of the atrocity.

8 Nov 2012 12:52 • Julie Kenwell

How the 'Spirit of Enniskillen' continues to change young lives

FERMANAGH students, Ashley Robinson and Donnchadh Tierney will travel to Toronto, Canada this Remembrance Sunday to represent the Spirit of Enniskillen Trust (SOE) during an achievement and well-being conference.

8 Nov 2012 12:51 • Sarah Saunderson

One of the darkest and longest days

Jennifer Magee was only 15 years old when the Enniskillen bomb exploded as she made her way from her home down the Forthill steps to watch the remembrance parade in 1987.

8 Nov 2012 12:50 • Chris Donegan

You wonder how the bombers feel now about abhorrent act

Pat Lunny was at Mass when he heard the bang.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Reasons to reflect on our darkest day

The 8th of November, 1987. 10.43 a.m.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Permanent memorial planned and services to mark anniversary

The 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing will be marked with a service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance at the Cenotaph on Thursday, November 8.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Thanks, Sammy, for pulling me from the bomb rubble

Sam Foster recalls the awful moment he felt the last pulse of a dying man whom he had helped to pull from the rubble.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

I thought I 'was breathing my last'

25 years on Daphne Stephenson still gets the sensation of being buried in rubble. She dislikes enclosed spaces and even in church likes to be on the outside of the pew so she has a way to get out.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Seeing the hurt and horror of that morning - every day

Anna Dixon says she spends her life watching the Enniskillen bomb.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

New drug is 'last chance' for man still suffering

A chemotherapy drug to be administered in the coming days will be Stephen Gault's "last chance" to prevent a doctor's diagnosis that he could end up in a wheelchair becoming a reality.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

It looked like the coffin was floating on the shoulders of the people. There was thunderous singing of Amazing Grace. I realised God was among us.

People often say to the Rev. David Cupples that dealing with the Enniskillen bombing must have been a baptism of fire for the Minister who had only been in Enniskillen for little more than two months.

25 Oct 2012 15:30

Nurse shocked as she finds friends on hospital trolleys

Walking into Erne Hospital Casualty department to find friends and acquaintances on trolleys was the task that was to face Gladys Edmundson, who was a nursing Sister.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Rodney Edwards

Responses from across the world for shocked community

ENNISKILLEN was going from strength to strength during the eighties; it was thriving, it was moving forward and locals were proud of their town. It was quite something to behold; as was the resilience and energy of the people who were all so eager for their community to develop.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Lily Dane

Using the past to move to a positive future

For Enniskillen Bomb survivor Stephen Ross, recollections of the blast on Remembrance Sunday, November 8, 1987 remain as vivid now as the actual day of the event. Now a father of four, living in Basingstoke, he says it does not feel like it took place 25 years ago next month.