New drug is 'last chance' for man still suffering

Published: 25 Oct 2012 15:30

A chemotherapy drug to be administered in the coming days will be Stephen Gault's "last chance" to prevent a doctor's diagnosis that he could end up in a wheelchair becoming a reality.

Stephen Gault's wife, Sharon, with members of the audience at the recent Ely Centre event to mark the 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing.

Suffering from psoriatic arthritis, a "miracle drug" stopping him becoming severely disabled is no longer working. In a week's time he starts a new drug in the hope that the decline will be arrested.

As an 18-year-old, Stephen was standing between his father Sammy Gault and Ted Armstrong when the bomb exploded.

Both his father and Mr. Armstrong were killed as a result of the blast. "I was only 18. To see my father lying there dead and the man beside me dead, it is something I will take to my grave. I remember it as if it was yesterday," he said.

"I remember hearing the explosion and going forward. For quite a few seconds, there was an eerie silence. You could have heard a pin drop. Then I heard a shop alarm ringing. I could not breathe, choking with the waste and dirt and I could not see.

"Then, all hell broke loose and there was screaming, children screaming. I could not move. My dad was lying across my feet. He had his head through the railings. I knew right away he was dead. Somebody pulled me over the railings. I was told my leather jacket saved my life. It was cut to shreds. It had saved me from the falling slates. Ted Armstrong was on the other side and was dead".

Prior to the bombing, the morning had been uneventful. He had left his Castlecoole home with his mother and father. His leather jacket, bought the day before by his father, was the subject of conversation that morning as his mother, Gladys, had not wanted him to wear it. His mother went to St. Macartin's Cathedral to act as an usher while he and his father made their way from the car parked at the library to the Cenotaph. His father knew a lot of people and there was plenty of friendly "chit chat". Spotting his wife's cousin, his father had called him over. "Thankfully, he didn't come," Stephen said.

The emotional scars have run deep. While his injuries on that day were "superficial", his health since then has been profoundly affected.

"Two weeks after the bomb I developed psoriasis. 95 per cent of my body is covered in it. I have psoriatic arthritis. I had surgery in 1999 to correct my right hand. When I was 29, the surgeon said I could be in a wheelchair by the time I was 40. In 2006, my condition rapidly got very, very bad. I could not get out of bed, could not drive, I could not wear shoes, could not lift a knife or fork. Thankfully through Arlene [Foster] and Sean Coll I got a miracle drug, an injection twice a week into my stomach. At the start it worked. Unfortunately the drug now does not do anything for me. Hopefully I will start a new treatment in time at Altnagelvin, It is a chemotherapy drug. This is the last chance," he said.

"When I think back and being told I would be in a wheelchair, to someone I would regard as being still young, it is an awful thing."

Commentators have said over the years that Martin McGuinness was the IRA Commander involved in approving the bombing but he has always denied it.

"I was in Stormont in the middle of victims and the Deputy First Minister walked through them. How ignorant can someone be?" Stephen asked.

"We cannot go on the way we are going. Victims have to be remembered. Twelve innocent people were murdered in the streets of Enniskillen 25 years ago.

"I personally think Enniskillen people have never got justice. I do not think we will ever get our justice," he added.

There has been "delay after delay" with the Historial Enquiries Team (HET) report into the Enniskillen bombing. "My impression is that they have something to hide. is it because of who is in Government? I do not know. I do not think Enniskillen will get closure. As for closing the door, Enniskillen will always be an open case in my eyes," he said.

Get more stories from our Enniskillen Anniversary section

8 Nov 2012 16:57 • Rodney Edwards

The Queen sends a message to those affected by Enniskillen bomb 25 years on

HER Majesty The Queen has sent her prayers to the victims and families of the Enniskillen bomb as they mark the 25th anniversary of the atrocity today.

8 Nov 2012 16:25 • Rodney Edwards

Church service remembers victims of Enniskillen bomb

After the very moving service at the Cenotaph, a service of community remembrance and reflection then took place in St. Macartin's Cathedral, with family members leaving roses at the top of the church in a moving display of "pride, loving affection and gratitude".

8 Nov 2012 14:00

VIDEO: Service of Remembrance 25 years after Enniskillen bombing

Enniskillen paused to reflect this morning at a moving service of remembrance and thanksgiving 25 years after the Enniskillen bombing.

8 Nov 2012 12:56 • Rodney Edwards

Remembering the victims

THIS morning 's 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bomb will be marked by families of the bereaved and injured publicly and privately.

Social: Comments1 comment

8 Nov 2012 12:55 • Rodney Edwards

No new police Enniskillen investigation yet, insist PSNI

THE Police Service of Northern Ireland has downplayed the suggestion that a fresh investigation into the 1987 Enniskillen bomb will be launched.

8 Nov 2012 12:54 • Lily Dane

Prayer and family lift Joan's spirits when she hits rock bottom

Twenty five years ago, today, Thursday, student nurse Marie Wilson had her young life and career cut short in the Enniskillen Remembrance Day Bomb.

8 Nov 2012 12:53 • Rodney Edwards

I hadn't a clue who my wife and children were. I had to learn to walk and talk again

FOR several years after the Enniskillen bomb, George Evans couldn't bring himself to walk past the site of the atrocity.

8 Nov 2012 12:52 • Julie Kenwell

How the 'Spirit of Enniskillen' continues to change young lives

FERMANAGH students, Ashley Robinson and Donnchadh Tierney will travel to Toronto, Canada this Remembrance Sunday to represent the Spirit of Enniskillen Trust (SOE) during an achievement and well-being conference.

8 Nov 2012 12:51 • Sarah Saunderson

One of the darkest and longest days

Jennifer Magee was only 15 years old when the Enniskillen bomb exploded as she made her way from her home down the Forthill steps to watch the remembrance parade in 1987.

8 Nov 2012 12:50 • Chris Donegan

You wonder how the bombers feel now about abhorrent act

Pat Lunny was at Mass when he heard the bang.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Reasons to reflect on our darkest day

The 8th of November, 1987. 10.43 a.m.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Permanent memorial planned and services to mark anniversary

The 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing will be marked with a service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance at the Cenotaph on Thursday, November 8.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Thanks, Sammy, for pulling me from the bomb rubble

Sam Foster recalls the awful moment he felt the last pulse of a dying man whom he had helped to pull from the rubble.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

I thought I 'was breathing my last'

25 years on Daphne Stephenson still gets the sensation of being buried in rubble. She dislikes enclosed spaces and even in church likes to be on the outside of the pew so she has a way to get out.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Seeing the hurt and horror of that morning - every day

Anna Dixon says she spends her life watching the Enniskillen bomb.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

'We still have questions not answered'

Victims and those who were bereaved in the Enniskillen bombing deserve answers to their questions about what happened on that day, Margaret Veitch feels.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

It looked like the coffin was floating on the shoulders of the people. There was thunderous singing of Amazing Grace. I realised God was among us.

People often say to the Rev. David Cupples that dealing with the Enniskillen bombing must have been a baptism of fire for the Minister who had only been in Enniskillen for little more than two months.

25 Oct 2012 15:30

Nurse shocked as she finds friends on hospital trolleys

Walking into Erne Hospital Casualty department to find friends and acquaintances on trolleys was the task that was to face Gladys Edmundson, who was a nursing Sister.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Rodney Edwards

Responses from across the world for shocked community

ENNISKILLEN was going from strength to strength during the eighties; it was thriving, it was moving forward and locals were proud of their town. It was quite something to behold; as was the resilience and energy of the people who were all so eager for their community to develop.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Lily Dane

Using the past to move to a positive future

For Enniskillen Bomb survivor Stephen Ross, recollections of the blast on Remembrance Sunday, November 8, 1987 remain as vivid now as the actual day of the event. Now a father of four, living in Basingstoke, he says it does not feel like it took place 25 years ago next month.