Seeing the hurt and horror of that morning - every day

Published: 25 Oct 2012 15:30

Anna Dixon says she spends her life watching the Enniskillen bomb.

Jim Dixon in his younger days.

"A lady once said to me, 'Every time I see Jim Dixon, I think of the bomb'. I am living with Jim Dixon and I am watching the bomb every day," she said.

Her husband was horrifically injured in the Enniskillen bombing and today, almost 25 years later, he still bears the appalling scars.

Given the catalogue of injuries, it is remarkable that he survived. His skull was split in three places and the fluid from his brain was oozing out of his ears. The bone at the back of his eyes disintegrated into his head. The roof of his mouth was blown out and right side of his jaw was missing. Ribs were broken, hips smashed and his elbows were broken in three places.

His wife, who has supported him and watched his suffering over more than two decades, said: "I did have anger how anybody could plan an atrocity on innocent people. Standing there, I watched the suffering of Jim. I can't feel his pain. I watch him struggling to eat. Sometimes he groans. I can listen but I can't do anything about it. He sometimes moans about the problems that are facing him with other people in their suffering. Our country hasn't done anything to relieve the evils of people who carried out this atrocity, I have never heard him moaning for himself.

"After the bomb I had to put my faith into action. I know God is still in control of our lives".

Mr Dixon acknowledges that it is the families of those caught up in the tragedy who are affected. "The bomb changed my life and the lives of so many. It is not the person in the bomb, it is the families that have to live with it," he said.

And there have been effects on those who saw unspeakable things. "And the people who looked at bodies as they lay there. They will never forget them. When you speak to them, you see the hurt and horror of that morning".

"My profile has been regarded as being harsh," he said. He recalls being asked by an interviewer that he must "hate the IRA". Responding to that suggestion, he tells the story of praying with an IRA man he knew from Clones. The man had been hospitalised after suffering a severe stroke.

"In hospital one evening, I saw a man called Gerry. He was a IRA man. He had told me he had murdered a number of policemen. I walked into the ward and saw Gerry, I did not want to go near Gerry. Evil was emanating from him. God said to me - in my eye you are no different to Gerry. I had to go to talk to Gerry. As I stepped forward I said 'God help me'. I said 'Gerry, Lord Love you'. I thought somebody had hit me with a hammer. The reality of this was I was looking at a man who had murdered. . .I started to pray for Gerry, and everything I said, Gerry said. I felt I should pray the sinners' prayer for Gerry, that God would forgive his past. Tears were running down Gerry's face. I went back up to hospital some days later and the Sister told me he had passed away. Gerry had gone to meet the judge of all the earth," he said.

On the morning of the bombing, it was a first for Mr Dixon to attend the Remembrance event at the Cenotaph. As a church organist he was usually by the organ preparing to play. But his daughter was the Head Girl for the High School and he wanted to take a photograph of her laying the wreath for posterity. He recalls seeing her school principal, Ronnie Hill, and thinking that he looked lonely, started to walk towards him to speak to him. "I took seven or eight steps and heard the detonator. I did not know what it was at the time. That is all I remember [of that day]".

His suffering remains with him today.

He explained: "I will never forget those times. Every minute was a month. I said to the surgeon. Put me out of my misery. It was indescribable -- the fear, the terror of the bomb, it seemed as if I was trapped in the crypt of hell. It was fear beyond description. Such evil. Man's inhumanity to man.

"I can't swallow my spittle. I can't eat brown bread in case it might end up in my lungs. My mouth is paralysed. I can't tell if I have chewed my food. My tongue is 80 per cent paralysed. I have no tears and have major problems with my eyes. Life has become very difficult. Life has been changed to an awful extent and in a lot of cases, not worth living".

Get more stories from our Enniskillen Anniversary section

8 Nov 2012 16:57 • Rodney Edwards

The Queen sends a message to those affected by Enniskillen bomb 25 years on

HER Majesty The Queen has sent her prayers to the victims and families of the Enniskillen bomb as they mark the 25th anniversary of the atrocity today.

8 Nov 2012 16:25 • Rodney Edwards

Church service remembers victims of Enniskillen bomb

After the very moving service at the Cenotaph, a service of community remembrance and reflection then took place in St. Macartin's Cathedral, with family members leaving roses at the top of the church in a moving display of "pride, loving affection and gratitude".

8 Nov 2012 14:00

VIDEO: Service of Remembrance 25 years after Enniskillen bombing

Enniskillen paused to reflect this morning at a moving service of remembrance and thanksgiving 25 years after the Enniskillen bombing.

8 Nov 2012 12:56 • Rodney Edwards

Remembering the victims

THIS morning 's 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bomb will be marked by families of the bereaved and injured publicly and privately.

Social: Comments1 comment

8 Nov 2012 12:55 • Rodney Edwards

No new police Enniskillen investigation yet, insist PSNI

THE Police Service of Northern Ireland has downplayed the suggestion that a fresh investigation into the 1987 Enniskillen bomb will be launched.

8 Nov 2012 12:54 • Lily Dane

Prayer and family lift Joan's spirits when she hits rock bottom

Twenty five years ago, today, Thursday, student nurse Marie Wilson had her young life and career cut short in the Enniskillen Remembrance Day Bomb.

8 Nov 2012 12:53 • Rodney Edwards

I hadn't a clue who my wife and children were. I had to learn to walk and talk again

FOR several years after the Enniskillen bomb, George Evans couldn't bring himself to walk past the site of the atrocity.

8 Nov 2012 12:52 • Julie Kenwell

How the 'Spirit of Enniskillen' continues to change young lives

FERMANAGH students, Ashley Robinson and Donnchadh Tierney will travel to Toronto, Canada this Remembrance Sunday to represent the Spirit of Enniskillen Trust (SOE) during an achievement and well-being conference.

8 Nov 2012 12:51 • Sarah Saunderson

One of the darkest and longest days

Jennifer Magee was only 15 years old when the Enniskillen bomb exploded as she made her way from her home down the Forthill steps to watch the remembrance parade in 1987.

8 Nov 2012 12:50 • Chris Donegan

You wonder how the bombers feel now about abhorrent act

Pat Lunny was at Mass when he heard the bang.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Reasons to reflect on our darkest day

The 8th of November, 1987. 10.43 a.m.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Permanent memorial planned and services to mark anniversary

The 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing will be marked with a service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance at the Cenotaph on Thursday, November 8.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Thanks, Sammy, for pulling me from the bomb rubble

Sam Foster recalls the awful moment he felt the last pulse of a dying man whom he had helped to pull from the rubble.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

I thought I 'was breathing my last'

25 years on Daphne Stephenson still gets the sensation of being buried in rubble. She dislikes enclosed spaces and even in church likes to be on the outside of the pew so she has a way to get out.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

New drug is 'last chance' for man still suffering

A chemotherapy drug to be administered in the coming days will be Stephen Gault's "last chance" to prevent a doctor's diagnosis that he could end up in a wheelchair becoming a reality.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

'We still have questions not answered'

Victims and those who were bereaved in the Enniskillen bombing deserve answers to their questions about what happened on that day, Margaret Veitch feels.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

It looked like the coffin was floating on the shoulders of the people. There was thunderous singing of Amazing Grace. I realised God was among us.

People often say to the Rev. David Cupples that dealing with the Enniskillen bombing must have been a baptism of fire for the Minister who had only been in Enniskillen for little more than two months.

25 Oct 2012 15:30

Nurse shocked as she finds friends on hospital trolleys

Walking into Erne Hospital Casualty department to find friends and acquaintances on trolleys was the task that was to face Gladys Edmundson, who was a nursing Sister.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Rodney Edwards

Responses from across the world for shocked community

ENNISKILLEN was going from strength to strength during the eighties; it was thriving, it was moving forward and locals were proud of their town. It was quite something to behold; as was the resilience and energy of the people who were all so eager for their community to develop.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Lily Dane

Using the past to move to a positive future

For Enniskillen Bomb survivor Stephen Ross, recollections of the blast on Remembrance Sunday, November 8, 1987 remain as vivid now as the actual day of the event. Now a father of four, living in Basingstoke, he says it does not feel like it took place 25 years ago next month.