Thanks, Sammy, for pulling me from the bomb rubble

Published: 25 Oct 2012 15:30

Sam Foster recalls the awful moment he felt the last pulse of a dying man whom he had helped to pull from the rubble.

Members of the panel at the "Day of Remembrance at the Ely Centre" (from right) Daphne Stephenson, Sam Foster, Margaret Veitch, Jim Dixon, Stephen Gault, Gladys Edmondson and the Rev. David Cupples.

Then an Enniskillen Councillor on Fermanagh District Council, Mr. Foster recalls putting his hand on Wesley Armstrong's neck and feeling the last pulse.

"I went over to the railings. There were people against it -- Wesley Armstrong and Mrs Quinton. I had my hand under their chin to hold them up. I was with Wesley Armstrong. He died in my hand. I felt his pulse in my hand. Somebody said: 'He is gone'," he recalled.

The former Minister for the Environment found himself working with others to try to release people from the huge amount of rubble that fell on them when the Reading Rooms collapsed.

They did not know where people were located under the rubble. He said at times like those, thoughts come into your mind that perhaps seem selfish. "A big thing was stuck in my mind. My daughter Helen was carrying her second child. I was thinking -- am I standing on my daughter, grandson or unborn child? It is a terrible feeling," he said.

"We scrambled and pulled dirt away and tried to release people. There was Fred Miller, a Greenfinch, Albert Devers and me -- the four of us pulled a man out. I did not know who it was. It was Jim Dixon," he said.

25 years on as Mr. Foster recalled the moment at a Remembrance event last Friday at the Ely Centre in Enniskillen, the man he rescued interjected to show his gratitude. "Thanks Sammy," said Jim Dixon.

He replied: "Jim, I was glad I was able to do it in this terrible calamity".

It was a humbling moment as one man, who today suffers from Parkinson's Disease but agreed to speak publicly at the gathering in spite of his symptoms, and another who still lives with the scars of his bomb injuries, exchanged those words.

Earlier on the morning of the bombing, Mr. Foster recalled that his wife Dorothy had dropped him off near the Cenotaph.

He joined fellow Councillors and the then Clerk and Chief Executive of Fermanagh District Council, Gerry Burns. "I was standing at O'Doherty's butchers 50 or 60 yards from the bomb, speaking to fellow councillors, there was a bit of joking and jargon. I recall the fateful moments before the bomb exploded.

The next thing I heard was a thunderous clap, the smack of the bomb. At first I thought it was up at the Courthouse. I did not know it was right behind me," he said.

"Gerry Burns was standing beside me and he said 'get down'. I got down. I immediately hit the ground and sat on the ground until things began to settle. There was a terrible sound coming through, squalling, shouting, screaming, cries for help, cries of children, it was sheer panic. It was really terrible thing to do on anybody".

Miming the action of holding his hands up to his face, he said: "I looked through my fingers and it was like looking through a smoke-filled room. I saw Margaret Cox from the Salvation Army. She was disorientated. Mr Keys, Principal of the Model School, had a child under each arm. He said he was all right. We started to clear away debris".

He took issue with the appearance of the doves on the war memorial which were created to mark each of the lives lost in the bombing. "Has anyone ever seen brown doves? They should be grey doves. The background to the monument is dark brown which is the same so it does not give any impact. As a group we should put pressure on somebody to say that this isn't right," he said.

Get more stories from our Enniskillen Anniversary section

8 Nov 2012 16:57 • Rodney Edwards

The Queen sends a message to those affected by Enniskillen bomb 25 years on

HER Majesty The Queen has sent her prayers to the victims and families of the Enniskillen bomb as they mark the 25th anniversary of the atrocity today.

8 Nov 2012 16:25 • Rodney Edwards

Church service remembers victims of Enniskillen bomb

After the very moving service at the Cenotaph, a service of community remembrance and reflection then took place in St. Macartin's Cathedral, with family members leaving roses at the top of the church in a moving display of "pride, loving affection and gratitude".

8 Nov 2012 14:00

VIDEO: Service of Remembrance 25 years after Enniskillen bombing

Enniskillen paused to reflect this morning at a moving service of remembrance and thanksgiving 25 years after the Enniskillen bombing.

8 Nov 2012 12:56 • Rodney Edwards

Remembering the victims

THIS morning 's 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bomb will be marked by families of the bereaved and injured publicly and privately.

Social: Comments1 comment

8 Nov 2012 12:55 • Rodney Edwards

No new police Enniskillen investigation yet, insist PSNI

THE Police Service of Northern Ireland has downplayed the suggestion that a fresh investigation into the 1987 Enniskillen bomb will be launched.

8 Nov 2012 12:54 • Lily Dane

Prayer and family lift Joan's spirits when she hits rock bottom

Twenty five years ago, today, Thursday, student nurse Marie Wilson had her young life and career cut short in the Enniskillen Remembrance Day Bomb.

8 Nov 2012 12:53 • Rodney Edwards

I hadn't a clue who my wife and children were. I had to learn to walk and talk again

FOR several years after the Enniskillen bomb, George Evans couldn't bring himself to walk past the site of the atrocity.

8 Nov 2012 12:52 • Julie Kenwell

How the 'Spirit of Enniskillen' continues to change young lives

FERMANAGH students, Ashley Robinson and Donnchadh Tierney will travel to Toronto, Canada this Remembrance Sunday to represent the Spirit of Enniskillen Trust (SOE) during an achievement and well-being conference.

8 Nov 2012 12:51 • Sarah Saunderson

One of the darkest and longest days

Jennifer Magee was only 15 years old when the Enniskillen bomb exploded as she made her way from her home down the Forthill steps to watch the remembrance parade in 1987.

8 Nov 2012 12:50 • Chris Donegan

You wonder how the bombers feel now about abhorrent act

Pat Lunny was at Mass when he heard the bang.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Reasons to reflect on our darkest day

The 8th of November, 1987. 10.43 a.m.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Permanent memorial planned and services to mark anniversary

The 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing will be marked with a service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance at the Cenotaph on Thursday, November 8.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

I thought I 'was breathing my last'

25 years on Daphne Stephenson still gets the sensation of being buried in rubble. She dislikes enclosed spaces and even in church likes to be on the outside of the pew so she has a way to get out.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Seeing the hurt and horror of that morning - every day

Anna Dixon says she spends her life watching the Enniskillen bomb.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

New drug is 'last chance' for man still suffering

A chemotherapy drug to be administered in the coming days will be Stephen Gault's "last chance" to prevent a doctor's diagnosis that he could end up in a wheelchair becoming a reality.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

'We still have questions not answered'

Victims and those who were bereaved in the Enniskillen bombing deserve answers to their questions about what happened on that day, Margaret Veitch feels.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

It looked like the coffin was floating on the shoulders of the people. There was thunderous singing of Amazing Grace. I realised God was among us.

People often say to the Rev. David Cupples that dealing with the Enniskillen bombing must have been a baptism of fire for the Minister who had only been in Enniskillen for little more than two months.

25 Oct 2012 15:30

Nurse shocked as she finds friends on hospital trolleys

Walking into Erne Hospital Casualty department to find friends and acquaintances on trolleys was the task that was to face Gladys Edmundson, who was a nursing Sister.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Rodney Edwards

Responses from across the world for shocked community

ENNISKILLEN was going from strength to strength during the eighties; it was thriving, it was moving forward and locals were proud of their town. It was quite something to behold; as was the resilience and energy of the people who were all so eager for their community to develop.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Lily Dane

Using the past to move to a positive future

For Enniskillen Bomb survivor Stephen Ross, recollections of the blast on Remembrance Sunday, November 8, 1987 remain as vivid now as the actual day of the event. Now a father of four, living in Basingstoke, he says it does not feel like it took place 25 years ago next month.