How the 'Spirit of Enniskillen' continues to change young lives

Published: 8 Nov 2012 12:520 comments

FERMANAGH students, Ashley Robinson and Donnchadh Tierney will travel to Toronto, Canada this Remembrance Sunday to represent the Spirit of Enniskillen Trust (SOE) during an achievement and well-being conference.

Donnchadh Tierney, St. Michael's and Ashley Robinson, Collegiate, heading off to Toronto, Canada to The Quest Conference as part of the Spirit of Enniskillen.

16-year-old Collegiate Grammar School pupil, Ashley and 17-year-old Donnchadh from St Michael's College have been active participants in SOE's annual international leadership programme, Explore.

The programme helps young people make their own contribution to society through workshops which challenge them to look at their own outlook on life in comparison to others.

Their enthusiasm for the learning experience has so impressed SOE Director Michael Arlow, that he hand-picked the two young students to be this year's ambassadors at Toronto's week-long 'Quest' conference.

Last year Quest focused on building equitable, inclusive and engaging schools.

This year carefully selected workshop presenters and a Quest 2012 panel will provide interactive sessions to help ensure each participant at Quest can assume responsibility for influencing cultures that are more equitable, more inclusive and more engaging in their respective schools.

Lisbellaw girl, Ashley will be one of the members of the panel, presenting before some 900 other young people.

Excited about the trip she says her experience with SOE so far this year has already been "life changing".

"The programme takes you on a trip out of Northern Ireland," she explains, "My cousin had gone on it before

and I thought it would be great to get away on a holiday! I got to go to France, so yes, I did get away on a holiday, but it was not the holiday I was expecting, it was far more than that!

"The programme really challenges you and your opinions. We had workshops focusing on topics like terrorism, sexuality or religion.

"I really grew up throughout the programme, and particularly when I was away in France.

"We met up with young people from France who are living in places similar to slums. Despite their background though, they seemed to be happy all the time.

"The whole experience has made me look at my perceptions of others while I was growing up.

"It's not that those opinions are forced upon me, it's just what you take for granted when you are young. I hadn't even met a Catholic until I was 11-years-old, so obviously that shaped some of my opinions. And living in such a rural village which didn't have a lot of diversity shaped my opinions too."

Ashley says she found the workshops "overwhelming".

"Being surrounded by people with different opinions to you was overwhelming. I had always thought that my opinion was the right one. But this experience challenged me to look at it from another perspective.

"I had the chance to ask questions about other religious backgrounds, like what Mass is all about. And people asked me about what it's like being from a Protestant background. I was asked about things that I had taken for granted all my life.

"It taught me a lot about myself and it and taught me to have my own confidence."

Before the programme, Ashley and Donnchadh had not known each other either.

"I'm so glad I got involved and got to know him and the others on the programme," says Ashley, "It's been literally life changing and it has brought me so many opportunities that I never even dreamed of."

For Donnchadh, the highlight of the experience so far has been finding out about the trip to Toronto.

"I was asked a couple of weeks ago and I immediately said yes! It was a bit of a shock to be asked. I didn't expect it at all. When I'm out there I will be helping with some of the workshops throughout the week."

Just like Ashley, his expectations of the project were well off the mark.

"I got to go to Sweden," he explains, "Beforehand I'd thought it would be great to get away. But I'm glad it wasn't like your typical holiday, it wouldn't have been the same if it was!

"We were asked to discuss controversial topics like abortion and religion -- issues that young people aren't normally given a voice on.

"When I was in Sweden we stayed in a youth hostel and spent time with young people from there.

"The whole experience has really change me -- I'm more interested in things that are going on around me, I'm able to communicate more effectively and I appreciate that other people have different opinions to myself," he adds.

Looking ahead to the next stage of their experience in Toronto, Ashley says she is nervous but excited about her role as a member of the panel.

"I'm on the panel with five other Canadians so I will stick out like a sore thumb," she jokes, "I really don't know what to expect from the trip though. I have learned from previous experience that your expectations are never usually correct! I was expecting something completely different to the experience I have already had through SOE, and I'm glad of that."

Comments

Get more stories from our Enniskillen Anniversary section

8 Nov 2012 16:57 • Rodney Edwards

The Queen sends a message to those affected by Enniskillen bomb 25 years on

HER Majesty The Queen has sent her prayers to the victims and families of the Enniskillen bomb as they mark the 25th anniversary of the atrocity today.

8 Nov 2012 16:25 • Rodney Edwards

Church service remembers victims of Enniskillen bomb

After the very moving service at the Cenotaph, a service of community remembrance and reflection then took place in St. Macartin's Cathedral, with family members leaving roses at the top of the church in a moving display of "pride, loving affection and gratitude".

8 Nov 2012 14:00

VIDEO: Service of Remembrance 25 years after Enniskillen bombing

Enniskillen paused to reflect this morning at a moving service of remembrance and thanksgiving 25 years after the Enniskillen bombing.

8 Nov 2012 12:56 • Rodney Edwards

Remembering the victims

THIS morning 's 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bomb will be marked by families of the bereaved and injured publicly and privately.

Social: Comments1 comment

8 Nov 2012 12:55 • Rodney Edwards

No new police Enniskillen investigation yet, insist PSNI

THE Police Service of Northern Ireland has downplayed the suggestion that a fresh investigation into the 1987 Enniskillen bomb will be launched.

8 Nov 2012 12:54 • Lily Dane

Prayer and family lift Joan's spirits when she hits rock bottom

Twenty five years ago, today, Thursday, student nurse Marie Wilson had her young life and career cut short in the Enniskillen Remembrance Day Bomb.

8 Nov 2012 12:53 • Rodney Edwards

I hadn't a clue who my wife and children were. I had to learn to walk and talk again

FOR several years after the Enniskillen bomb, George Evans couldn't bring himself to walk past the site of the atrocity.

8 Nov 2012 12:51 • Sarah Saunderson

One of the darkest and longest days

Jennifer Magee was only 15 years old when the Enniskillen bomb exploded as she made her way from her home down the Forthill steps to watch the remembrance parade in 1987.

8 Nov 2012 12:50 • Chris Donegan

You wonder how the bombers feel now about abhorrent act

Pat Lunny was at Mass when he heard the bang.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Reasons to reflect on our darkest day

The 8th of November, 1987. 10.43 a.m.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Denzil McDaniel

Permanent memorial planned and services to mark anniversary

The 25th anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing will be marked with a service of Thanksgiving and Remembrance at the Cenotaph on Thursday, November 8.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Thanks, Sammy, for pulling me from the bomb rubble

Sam Foster recalls the awful moment he felt the last pulse of a dying man whom he had helped to pull from the rubble.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

I thought I 'was breathing my last'

25 years on Daphne Stephenson still gets the sensation of being buried in rubble. She dislikes enclosed spaces and even in church likes to be on the outside of the pew so she has a way to get out.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

Seeing the hurt and horror of that morning - every day

Anna Dixon says she spends her life watching the Enniskillen bomb.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

New drug is 'last chance' for man still suffering

A chemotherapy drug to be administered in the coming days will be Stephen Gault's "last chance" to prevent a doctor's diagnosis that he could end up in a wheelchair becoming a reality.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

'We still have questions not answered'

Victims and those who were bereaved in the Enniskillen bombing deserve answers to their questions about what happened on that day, Margaret Veitch feels.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Sarah Saunderson

It looked like the coffin was floating on the shoulders of the people. There was thunderous singing of Amazing Grace. I realised God was among us.

People often say to the Rev. David Cupples that dealing with the Enniskillen bombing must have been a baptism of fire for the Minister who had only been in Enniskillen for little more than two months.

25 Oct 2012 15:30

Nurse shocked as she finds friends on hospital trolleys

Walking into Erne Hospital Casualty department to find friends and acquaintances on trolleys was the task that was to face Gladys Edmundson, who was a nursing Sister.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Rodney Edwards

Responses from across the world for shocked community

ENNISKILLEN was going from strength to strength during the eighties; it was thriving, it was moving forward and locals were proud of their town. It was quite something to behold; as was the resilience and energy of the people who were all so eager for their community to develop.

25 Oct 2012 15:30 • Lily Dane

Using the past to move to a positive future

For Enniskillen Bomb survivor Stephen Ross, recollections of the blast on Remembrance Sunday, November 8, 1987 remain as vivid now as the actual day of the event. Now a father of four, living in Basingstoke, he says it does not feel like it took place 25 years ago next month.