The day Bee Gee Robin signed an autograph at gunpoint!

Published: 14 Jun 2012 13:000 comments

KILSKEERY woman, Dwina Gibb says she intends to personally respond to the thousands of sympathy cards her family have received after her Bee Gee star husband passed away from kidney failure last month.

Mourners gathered in Oxfordshire on Friday to pay their last respects to Robin Gibb, the man who shot to fame with brothers Barry and Maurice, in the sixties and seventies.

Taking comfort from the support shown to her family from fans across the world, Dwina says she has placed each sympathy card on two tapestries in the home she shared with her husband before he fell ill.

"I'm just so grateful for all the sympathy cards and the support," she told The Impartial Reporter, "I have read every single card. Each one of them has given me some kind of peace."

Still in shock at losing Robin, Dwina said she was looking forward to spending some time at home in Ireland soon.

"Some of my fondest memories with Robin are when we were travelling the length and breadth of Ireland. He loved Donegal. We spent lots of time in Enniskillen too.

"He was actually stopped once on the road at a checkpoint during the time of the Troubles.

"This young soldier holding his gun was so excited when he realised it was Robin Gibb. He asked for his autograph. Robin laughed afterwards and said, 'That's the first time I have had to sign and autograph at gun point!'

"When we were at my mothers later, they must have followed us or found out where we were going, because Robin pulled back the curtains in the front room, and there they all were -- all the soldiers, waving!"

Some of the most precious items Dwina now owns are the sketches Robin made during his illness.

"I encouraged him to paint and draw when he was ill," she explained, "He was very good at it. And I'm so glad that I have those drawings now to hold on to."

In fact it was Dwina's own talents as an artist that first brought the couple together.

"We met through my cousin who was working in security for Robin," Dwina recalled, "My cousin was going to the airport to pick him up and Robin saw some of my drawings in the car. At the time he was looking for a new place to live and wanted to decorate the house with some of my drawings."

Robin trusted Dwina's eye for detail so much that he enlisted her help in picking out a new home for himself.

"Little did I know that I would be living there myself!" she joked.

Describing her husband as a "kind man with a beautiful nature and the voice of an angel", Dwina said she took great pride in his achievements.

"His voice reached evert corner of the earth -- It's an incredible legacy to leave the world.

"Some of my best memories are of hearing him in the music room creating something. I felt like I had my own special concert all the time. It was really precious and so personal.

"We were all there at the end, me, RJ, and his children from his first marriage, Melissa and Spencer. He slipped away very quietly and very peacefully. The whole room was full of peace," she added.

Comments

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.

20 Apr 2014 15:00 • Julie Kenwell

Family ‘sick of thought’ of third round of heart surgery for Alfie

THE family of Bellanaleck toddler, Alfie Keys are nervously looking ahead to this September.

20 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Trust identifies ‘extreme risks’ that could kill patients

Extreme risks have been identified by the Western Trust which could “compromise client safety” or even lead to “injury or death of patients or staff”.

20 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

‘End of an era’ for Leslie and McCrea family

Tempo Primary’s long serving caretaker - whose family has a long connection with the Fermanagh school - was paid a warm tribute at the start of the school’s Easter Holidays.

19 Apr 2014 21:00 • Brian Donaldson

First election nominations made at Townhall

The countdown to the first election for seats on the new Fermanagh and Omagh District Council on May 22 has begun with the first candidates nominating at Enniskillen Townhall this week.

19 Apr 2014 17:10

Mallards gain another crucial point in safety battle

Ballinamallard took another step closer to safety as they claimed a share of the spoils at home to Ballymena today.

19 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Leading anti-fracker believes local protesters are on the right track

Founder of Frack Free Sussex and Britain and Ireland Frack Free, Vanessa Vine visited Enniskillen last Saturday to discuss the local anti-fracking campaign.