Died of a broken heart, John's with Rosie again

Published: 13 Jul 2012 13:000 comments

AN Enniskillen man who watched his terminally-ill wife pass away four days after their wedding died of a broken heart last week, his family have said.

John and Rosie Kilfedder on their wedding day.

John Kilfedder passed away at South West Acute Hospital following a short spell of ill-health. His distraught sister Brenda Fallis says after losing his beloved wife Rosemary last year to cancer, six weeks after she was diagnosed, the 52-year-old's life was never quite the same again and in the end: "He had no fight left in him".

"John wasn't scared of dying since Rosie passed away so knowing they are both together again is a great comfort to me. He never thought about the afterlife or anything like that yet he would say: If anything happens to me, I am going to be with Rosie again," she said.

It was a tragedy that touched the hearts of thousands of people in Fermanagh last year when Rosie, too ill to have her wedding at Rossorry Parish Church, found enough strength to marry her long-term partner in an emotionally-charged ceremony in the couple's living room, conducted by Rev. Arthur Barrett.

In the space of seven days the mother-of-three celebrated her 59th birthday, got married and then sadly passed away - a day after Valentine's Day. On Saturday, hundreds of people paid their respects at John's funeral service at Rossorry, a place where he found much solace after Rosie's death, with Rev. Barrett telling mourners the couple were now "having their honeymoon in paradise".

"Losing John has been a nightmare, it seems so unfair. I know he is happy with Rosie but I would have liked him here longer," said Brenda, fighting back tears.

Rosemary's children; Julie, Shirley and Robbie say they will also miss the popular man.

"He was the father figure I always wanted, but we knew his heart was broken," commented Julie.

She continued: "If I needed a talk I always went to him, I got closer to him after mum died. He needed me and I needed him. I am finding this really hard. I remember saying to him in the hospital: 'Don't you be thinking of going anywhere' and he replied: 'It depends who I meet'. He knew what was happening," she said.

Shirley added: "They are together, we have no doubt about that. But I feel like I have lost both my mum and dad now. John said to us more times this year that he couldn't be more proud of me, Julie and Robbie, but we couldn't have been prouder of him. He was the best".

After Rosie's death last year, John gave a moving interview to this newspaper about his loss.

On their wedding, he said: "I cried through my vows, I found them very difficult, especially the bit: 'Till death do us part'... that was brutal."

On her death, he said: "I don't know how I'm feeling to be honest with you. I don't know how to explain it. There are no words... it's brutal... I can't believe it".

On his last moments with her, he said: "It was such a shock, I was in bits. I lay with her the whole time".

And while his heart was very much broken, John (son of Molly and the late Robert Kilfedder from Kesh) kept himself busy over the last year; he lost a lot of weight, took up painting and decorating again, joined a local bowls clubs and was about to rejoin Ballyreagh Silver Band where he spent many years playing the cornet.

In fact, Brenda says the family will feel much sadness today (Thursday) when the Twelfth of July celebrations take place in Enniskillen as John never missed the parade over the years.

His loved ones must now prepare for life without him and they will do this by recalling all the happy times spent with a person they say was loved by everyone, especially Rosie.

Poignantly, Julie recently discovered her mother's diary and found a heartfelt message about John written inside. One Christmas, Rosie wrote: "I am just thinking today that this is the best Christmas I have ever had and I owe it all to John. He has made me the happiest woman alive and I know he can't believe that but I know it's true".

"Mum was never one to tell people her true feelings so the fact she wrote this shows how much she loved John," said Julie.

John, who worked at The Poachers Inn in Ballinamallard, enjoyed cooking for his family and especially liked making desserts.

"He could have sold them in any of the restaurants in town. He used to bring us out for Sunday dinner and as soon as you came into the house you could smell the dinner," said Shirley.

"He made home-made pancakes and used to spell out my son's name (Jody) in pancake mixture. That's just the type of man he was; he cared so much about everyone," added Julie.

On his Facebook page, friends and family have been paying tribute to "the gentle giant" this week.

Jill Weir wrote: "Lovely service for you today John. As the Minister said you are with Rosie having the honeymoon you never had here. God bless you both".

Linda Fitzpatrick wrote: "RIP John. Together again with your true love".

Leanne Porter wrote: "Sad to hear the news this morning. RIP John. You are now back in the arms of Rosie".

During the couple's wedding last year they played their favourite song 'Islands in the Stream' by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. It was an emotionally-charged moment, so it seems fitting to recall some of those touching lyrics today.

"No more will you cry. Baby, I will hurt you never... We start and end as one in love forever".

Comments

20 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

‘End of an era’ for Leslie and McCrea family

Tempo Primary’s long serving caretaker - whose family has a long connection with the Fermanagh school - was paid a warm tribute at the start of the school’s Easter Holidays.

19 Apr 2014 21:00 • Brian Donaldson

First election nominations made at Townhall

The countdown to the first election for seats on the new Fermanagh and Omagh District Council on May 22 has begun with the first candidates nominating at Enniskillen Townhall this week.

19 Apr 2014 17:10

Mallards gain another crucial point in safety battle

Ballinamallard took another step closer to safety as they claimed a share of the spoils at home to Ballymena today.

19 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Leading anti-fracker believes local protesters are on the right track

Founder of Frack Free Sussex and Britain and Ireland Frack Free, Vanessa Vine visited Enniskillen last Saturday to discuss the local anti-fracking campaign.

19 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Road rage car chase for boxing champ who turned away from possible fight

A boxing champion shied away from a fight with a man over twice his age only to become embroiled in a road rage incident.

19 Apr 2014 11:00 • Editorial Department

Milk suppliers assured that Society is debt free

The forty-eight former Fivemiletown milk suppliers have been assured that Fivemiletown and Brookeborough Co-operative and Agricultural Dairy Society (the Society) is debt free and that they will “continue to be paid”.

19 Apr 2014 09:00 • Rodney Edwards

Elliott votes against bill on powers for new Super Councils

ULSTER Unionist MLA Tom Elliott has joined his party colleagues in voting against the Local Government Bill, the legislation that sets out the powers of the new Super Councils. Mr. Elliott spoke of his concern around community planning ahead of the amalgamation which will see 26 Councils merge into 11, including the amalgamation of Fermanagh District Council and Omagh District Council

19 Apr 2014 08:30

Police name motorcyclist killed in Fivemiletown crash

Police can confirm that a male motorcyclist has died following a two vehicle road traffic collision on the Belfast Road in Fivemiletown last night, Friday 18 April.

18 Apr 2014 22:00 • Rodney Edwards

Orange audit: 93 per cent believe Catholics ‘suspicious’ of order

A MAJOR survey into the Orange Order in Fermanagh has found that 92.8 per cent of people who took part in the project believe Catholics are “suspicious” of the organisation.

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.