Bloodied and bruised, 84-year-old speaks out

Published: 19 Jul 2012 13:000 comments

A PENSIONER from Enniskillen who fell and hurt herself after an inconsiderate motorist parked across the pavement close to her house has been left black and blue.

The facial injuries sustained by the 84-year-old woman who fell in Cornagrade.

The 84-year-old injured her face, nose, arm and knee and was left bleeding heavily on the ground following the stumble in the Cornagrade area on Monday morning.

To add insult to injury, the pensioner claims she waited for three hours at the new South West Acute Hospital before she was given a painkiller to ease her discomfort.

"After I fell I lay on the ground and was bleeding so bad I couldn't see. When people are taught to drive they are taught not to park their car at an entrance, or obstruct any other person. Common sense tells you not to do that," she said.

Inspector Roy Robinson of Enniskillen Police says the driver who parked on the footpath has been reported to the Public Prosecution Service and may face prosecution for allowing his vehicle to cause an obstruction.

"It is by the grace of God that this woman didn't die in this accident," he said.

The elderly grandmother, who doesn't want to be named, fell while trying to manoeuvre her zimmer frame around the car. She sustained cuts and bruises.

"I fell onto my mouth and nose, my arm has been left black and blue. I was covered in blood; my face, hair, hands. Even the blouse, trousers and shoes were saturated in blood. A lady ran over to me, took tissues from my bag and mopped up the blood," she said.

Shortly after she fell, her son just happened to arrive at the scene and witnessed the commotion. "He seen his mother lying on the ground and the blood spewing out of her - he got an awful fright. He rushed me to the hospital. The blood was gushing out of me the whole way there".

But it was at the new South West Acute Hospital where the pensioner's pain continued.

"I was brought to accident and emergency and the blood was spewing out of me. I was put into a very posh room and was left there until someone took my blood pressure. They told me the doctor would see me shortly - I waited for quite sometime.

"Nobody cleaned me up at first, I was just sitting in a mess. My hair and face was still covered in blood. I was then left sitting in a long corridor outside the x-ray department. Nobody came out to see me at that point and I was there for half an hour, sitting in pain," she said.

After the x-ray was carried out, the lady says she was asked to wait outside in the corridor again.

"By that stage I needed to go to the bathroom. I asked a staff member if she could bring me to the toilet and she said she wouldn't be allowed to do that. So a doctor then brought me to the toilet. But nobody came to take me back out of the bathroom and the wheelchair wouldn't go out of the door".

She claimed she was first given a painkiller to ease the pain three hours after she first asked for one.

"I asked them for a painkiller three or four times - my head was all raw and sore," she said.

While she doesn't blame the staff, the pensioner says the 'system' needs reviewed.

"The system is so bad: You can't see anyone. You are isolated. You are in a room. Nobody sees you. People are going about their business and doing their job. They don't look in at you because they aren't dealing with you.

"Do you understand what I am saying? There was nobody there to speak to, nobody to ask. I could have died in that place and nobody there. Up at the old hospital, the Erne, they were caring, they were allowed to be caring," she said.

A spokesperson for the Western Trust declined to comment on the woman's specific complaint - citing patient confidently - but in relation to the single occupancy rooms at the hospital, she said.

"Offering single rooms protects patient privacy and dignity and importantly, it is the best possible option for the prevention and control of infections."

Looking back at her fall this week, the pensioner says she is thankful it wasn't more serious.

"It could have been worse, I could have broken a bone or worse. Hopefully by telling my story this kind of thing won't happen again.

"I am not looking for revenge, but if the man was to look at me and see my face he would think again before he parked his car on the footpath," she said.

Comments

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.

17 Apr 2014 14:06

Enniskillen by-pass could start in four years says Minister

WORK on the long-awaited Southern by-pass of Enniskillen could start in four years’ time but only if the millions needed for the scheme can be found, Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has said.

17 Apr 2014 13:11

No referendum on fracking at Council elections

Fermanagh District Council is unlikely to hold a fracking referendum after legal advice has recommended against it.

17 Apr 2014 13:01

Woman who tried to give man love bite guilty of sexual assault

A 47-year-old woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young man after she allegedly “forced” herself on him, grabbing him by the bum and telling him she loved him.

17 Apr 2014 11:45

St. Patrick's Day crash led driver to court

A 42-year-old driver who failed to stop after crashing into a car on a bridge on St. Patrick’s Day was three times the legal alcohol limit.

17 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Clerics attend Queen’s banquet: Praise for their cross-community work

17 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharpe names Premier 18 for Milk Cup

Fermanagh Premier Milk Cup manager Derek Sharpe has named his 18 man squad for this summer's competition.

17 Apr 2014 09:15

Men arrested in connection with security alert charged with theft

THE two men arrested in connection with a security alert in Fintona on Tuesday this week have been charged with Theft and Going Equipped for Theft

17 Apr 2014 09:00

Schoolgirl chef makes it to Fine Dine final

A local pupil has been named a finalist in this year's Fine Dine at Mine All-Ireland Schools Cookery Competion.

16 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter read:

How a woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a man after touching him and trying to give him a love bite.

16 Apr 2014 19:30

Arrest warrant for convicted shoplifter

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a 33-year-old convicted shoplifter.