Man with fingers chopped off told: go on home now

Published: 9 Aug 2012 13:001 comment

A TAMLAGHT man who lost two fingers in a lawnmower accident last Monday says senior staff at the South West Acute Hospital put him "through hell" when he was sent home just two-and-a-half hours after attending casualty.

Tamlaght man Johnny Nelson who lost fingers while working with a lawnmower.<

School bus driver, Johnny Nelson was told he would have to make his own way to the Ulster Hospital in Dundonald the following morning for treatment after staff at the new £276 million hospital took an X-ray of his hand and bandaged it.

Angered by his experience, Mr Nelson says he will be out of action for four to five months now and will have to travel to Belfast for his aftercare treatment for the next three to four months.

"In my opinion I wouldn't like to call this the South West Acute Hospital at all," he told The Impartial Reporter, "They should take the 'Acute' out of it if this is the way they are treating patients in the casualty department. They have put me through hell. I want people to know what's actually happening in there. We have this lovely new hospital but we are no better off."

Mr Nelson had been cutting a pensioner's lawn on the Sligo Road, Enniskillen at lunch time last Monday when the accident occurred.

"I was taking the grass box off the lawnmower and the first two fingers on my right hand were completely chopped off. Two others were badly damaged."

He went to a neighbour's house to raise the alarm.

"I was close to passing out," he said, "The neighbour came out with a cloth to wrap around the hand."

An ambulance arrived and Mr Nelson was taken to the South West Acute Hospital.

"I was taken into casualty in a wheelchair," he explained, "A nurse came in and looked at me and went back out again. I told her I needed pain relief. About five to 10 minutes later the doctor came in and prescribed morphine and went out again. I was sitting waiting and waiting until I was wheeled down for an x-ray. I was left there again for about 20 minutes by myself before I got the x-ray.

"When I was brought back up to casualty the doctor came in and told me I had to be up in the Ulster Hospital for 10.45am the next morning and I had to make my own way there. He told me the nurse would bandage me up and I would get anti-biotics. "I was still shaking with the shock. My wife Sharon had to help me into the car. The pain was unbearable."

Mr Nelson had little sleep overnight as he struggled to keep his hand elevated. "I had to take a belt of my own and wrap it around the bed post and my arm, and that is how I slept that night. I could see the blood was oozing out of the bandage. The next morning when I woke up the bandage was completely covered in blood."

Mr Nelson was pleased with the treatment he received at the Ulster Hospital the following day.

"When I arrived I was seen to straight away," he said, "I had an operation which lasted just over two hours and I was kept in overnight and sent home the next afternoon.

"The nurse there thought I had been transferred straight from Enniskillen. I told her no, it had happened the day before and I had been sent home. She couldn't get my bandages off because they were just rock solid with dry blood.

"For my after care I now have to go up there at least every week to two weeks for the next three to four months."

Mr Nelson said he has not made an official complaint with the South West Acute Hospital, believing it to be a "waste of time".

He spoke with a local GP about his experience.

"He couldn't believe it," said Mr Nelson, "I do think it's the lack of staff in there that is the problem. The nurse who looked after me in there was very good, I have to say, but when I kept asking questions, the doctor told me he was treating two other patients as well as me. So in other words, stop talking.

"I don't know if it would have been different if I had said I didn't feel fit to go home, but I was in that much shock that I just did as I was told.

"I put a picture of my hand up on Facebook and so many people have got in touch with me saying that they can't believe I was sent home so soon after."

A spokesperson for Western Trust commented: "The Western Trust Emergency Departments work closely with the Regional Plastic Surgery Service to which all patients with significant hand injuries are referred. In order to minimize the possibility of further  tissue disruption prior to plastic surgical assessment and treatment, local treatment is based upon protection of the injured area only, and is dictated in operational procedures agreed with the Regional Specialist service.

"To protect confidentiality the Trust does not comment on the care and treatment of individual patients. If a patient or their relative is unhappy in relation to any aspect of their care and treatment they are encouraged to raise such issues directly with staff in the first instance or through the Trust's comments and complaints system - the Patients' Advocate Office. The Patients' Advocate Office can be contacted on 028 71611226."

Comments

17 Apr 2014 13:11

No referendum on fracking at Council elections

Fermanagh District Council is unlikely to hold a fracking referendum after legal advice has recommended against it.

17 Apr 2014 13:01

Woman who tried to give man love bite guilty of sexual assault

A 47-year-old woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young man after she allegedly “forced” herself on him, grabbing him by the bum and telling him she loved him.

17 Apr 2014 11:45

St. Patrick's Day crash led driver to court

A 42-year-old driver who failed to stop after crashing into a car on a bridge on St. Patrick’s Day was three times the legal alcohol limit.

17 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Clerics attend Queen’s banquet: Praise for their cross-community work

17 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharpe names Premier 18 for Milk Cup

Fermanagh Premier Milk Cup manager Derek Sharpe has named his 18 man squad for this summer's competition.

17 Apr 2014 09:15

Men arrested in connection with security alert charged with theft

THE two men arrested in connection with a security alert in Fintona on Tuesday this week have been charged with Theft and Going Equipped for Theft

17 Apr 2014 09:00

Schoolgirl chef makes it to Fine Dine final

A local pupil has been named a finalist in this year's Fine Dine at Mine All-Ireland Schools Cookery Competion.

16 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter read:

How a woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a man after touching him and trying to give him a love bite.

16 Apr 2014 19:30

Arrest warrant for convicted shoplifter

A warrant has been issued for the arrest of a 33-year-old convicted shoplifter.

16 Apr 2014 17:00

Driver convicted of possession of drug after cannabis was found in car

The 32-year-old driver of a car from which there was a strong smell of cannabis has admitted unlawfully having the Class B drug.

16 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Comment - Shona Morrison - Feeling blue over the lack of support for autism awareness

Our wee county of Fermanagh has a great deal going for it right now.

16 Apr 2014 12:20

Police probe confrontation between cyclists and motorist

A man was reportedly assaulted during a confrontation between a motorist and a group of cyclists on the Sligo Road in Enniskillen.

16 Apr 2014 09:00

Local politicians meet Creamery officials to discuss closure

Ulster Unionist Assembly member for Fermanagh & South Tyrone, Tom Elliott MLA, and local Councillors, Robert Mulligan and Neil Somerville have met with the management of Fivemiletown Creamery to highlight their concerns over the closure of the creamery.

15 Apr 2014 22:00

Man took wife's car without permission

A 35-year-old man has been fined £425 and banned from driving for three months after he took his wife’s car without her permission.

15 Apr 2014 19:00

Police asking for your help with road safety through social media

Police in Fermanagh and other parts of F District are asking everyone who uses the roads to promote safety messages through social media over the next three Bank Holiday Mondays.

15 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Can’t stand the rain? Thank heavens for our water supply

In Fermanagh I don’t think there is anything that causes so much anger and frustration than the weather; specifically the abundance of rain.

15 Apr 2014 13:00

Hospital detention order against mentally ill man on attempted murder charge

A mentally ill man who bludgeoned his elderly uncle over the head with a hammer until he thought he was dead has been committed to hospital indefinitely.

15 Apr 2014 11:30

Don't forget to recycle your Easter egg packaging

Enjoying your chocolate egg but don't know what to do with the packaging?

15 Apr 2014 09:00

Homes evacuated in security alert in Fintona

POLICE are dealing with a security alert in Fintona, County Tyrone, after an incident in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).

14 Apr 2014 22:00

Businessman failed to demolish apartments

A 44-year-old businessman has been fined £500 for failing to knock down a block of apartments that pose a danger to drivers.