Fan disappointed at being refused entry to Nathan Carter

Published: 16 Aug 2012 13:000 comments

A 16-YEAR-OLD boy with learning disabilities was left "sorely disappointed" last Wednesday when he was refused entry to Nathan Carter's live show at the Killyhevlin Hotel.

Patricia and Connor Maguire.

Connor Maguire from Boho was told despite the fact that his mother was accompanying him, he would be unable to go into the main function room because he was under 18.

Angered, his mother, Patricia, says there was no mention of an age restriction in posters and newspaper advertisements promoting the event.

"I have been to other concerts for Nathan before," she said, "I was at one in Bundoran and there were children as young as six there. I thought it was lovely to have your family together for it. It's a country dance night. Connor was going to be with me the whole time, I certainly wasn't going to allow him to drink.

"I wouldn't have brought him if I had known there there would be an age restriction. I wouldn't have put him through the disappointment. He was sorely disappointed.

"I spoke to a receptionist about it who said they didn't see a problem with it. But when the manager came, he said no.

"Nathan's manager said he would have allowed him in.

"I had two options: I had to bring him back out home or leave him in the foyer. I wasn't going to just leave him there, that would be so unfair, but I had brought other ones with me so I left Connor home and came back in again because I would have to pick them up anyway."

Patricia says her son has become a fan of Country star Nathan since the release of his latest single, Wagon Wheel.

His story does have a happy ending however: as a goodwill gesture, Nathan's management have offered Connor two tickets to see him perform at the Ardhowen in September, as well as the chance to have a picture taken with the singing sensation.

David Morrison, General Manager of the Killyhevlin, said the hotel has strict guidelines to adhere to.

"Whenever we do a non-food function or formal we always work on the basis that under 18-year-olds are not allowed in the main bar area of the function room," he explained, "This is working within the guidelines set down by the PSNI. For example, if we have a school formal, access is allowed to the main room, but the bar is in the foyer and it is strictly ID or no access to the bar.

"That wasn't an option on Wednesday night because of the huge crowds attending. I could not take responsibility for that individual being in the main function room.

"I'm afraid we just have to work within the legislation that is clearly set out for us. I cannot comment on what other establishments do or do not do.

"If there is an issue with the fact that no age restriction was mentioned in the advertisement, we didn't place the advertisement for the event, it was Nathan Carter's management. We have no control over what they put in the ad.

"I can understand that the child was disappointed, but we tried to do our best to facilitate and allow him access to the foyer without any issues potentially arising, but that offer wasn't taken up."

Comments

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.

20 Apr 2014 15:00 • Julie Kenwell

Family ‘sick of thought’ of third round of heart surgery for Alfie

THE family of Bellanaleck toddler, Alfie Keys are nervously looking ahead to this September.

20 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Trust identifies ‘extreme risks’ that could kill patients

Extreme risks have been identified by the Western Trust which could “compromise client safety” or even lead to “injury or death of patients or staff”.

20 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

‘End of an era’ for Leslie and McCrea family

Tempo Primary’s long serving caretaker - whose family has a long connection with the Fermanagh school - was paid a warm tribute at the start of the school’s Easter Holidays.

19 Apr 2014 21:00 • Brian Donaldson

First election nominations made at Townhall

The countdown to the first election for seats on the new Fermanagh and Omagh District Council on May 22 has begun with the first candidates nominating at Enniskillen Townhall this week.

19 Apr 2014 17:10

Mallards gain another crucial point in safety battle

Ballinamallard took another step closer to safety as they claimed a share of the spoils at home to Ballymena today.

19 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Leading anti-fracker believes local protesters are on the right track

Founder of Frack Free Sussex and Britain and Ireland Frack Free, Vanessa Vine visited Enniskillen last Saturday to discuss the local anti-fracking campaign.