Mother begs for help after son attempts suicide for third time

Published: 16 Aug 2012 13:000 comments

THE mother of a young Fermanagh man who tried to end his own life for the third time at the weekend fears her son won't stop doing it until he is dead.

A mother has concerns over mental health services.

The 21-year-old who suffers from bipolar disease and has a history of drug abuse was rushed to Enniskillen's South West Acute Hospital in the early hours of Sunday morning and placed on a life-support machine after he consumed a cocktail of alcohol and tablets, including: Propranolol (used for treating anxiety), Depakote (for seizures), Fluoxetine (an anti-depressant), Diazepam (valium) and Olanzapine (for bipolar disease).

Fortunately he pulled through but the effects of what happened at the weekend linger on.

"I am not asking for help, I am begging for help. I don't know what to do, I don't want to have to bury my son," said his distraught mother in a frank interview with The Impartial Reporter.

The mother who feels "powerless and scared" was enjoying a holiday in Co. Antrim and had no knowledge of what was happening until her daughter phoned to break the news.

"She was sobbing her wee heart out, I dropped the phone and ran to the car. All I wanted was to wave a magic wand and be right by his side but I had to make the three hour journey home first. What goes through your mind? It is indescribable; I didn't know if he was going to be alive when I got home. I wanted to know why -- why did he do it? A thousand questions go through your mind," she said.

Walking down the corridors of the hospital, knowing her son was in a serious condition was difficult for this mother but nothing, she says, prepared her for seeing him on the life-support machine.

"It was terrible; he looked like a wee baby lying on the bed. He was covered in tubes and wires and looked so helpless and vulnerable. I just wanted to take him in my arms and make everything alright but I knew I couldn't. Even now I know I can't, I can't make everything alright again".

She took her son in her arms and told him she loved him. "I said to him: What are you trying to do to your oul mummy? He didn't respond to me. He was unconscious. We were told at the hospital that he had taken an awful lot of tablets and was very lucky to be alive."

When he was moved down to the medical ward his mother tried to talk to him.

"I rubbed his face, he tried to open his eyes, and I asked him why he had done it and do you know what he said to me? 'Because I wanted to die mummy, I'm sorry, I love you'. How does any mother feel hearing that? You want to blame somebody. Maybe I shouldn't have been away but when I spoke to him the day before he was in high spirits. I reminded him about his wee nephew, I said, do you not want to see him growing up? Do you want to leave him behind? I wanted to give him a reason not to do it again."

She is at a loss as to why her son feels this way but believes his bipolar is "bringing him down".

And after he was discharged a day later she has questioned the support available to patients and their families in Fermanagh.

"Am I getting enough support? Is my son getting enough support? Absolutely not. Every time you lift the paper some young lad or girl has taken their own life. I can see why: they are not getting the support they need. I spoke to his GP and she said it was an absolutely disgrace that he was discharged a day later and asked him if I was making a formal complaint - I am."

She claimed when her son was discharged his speech was still slurred and he was shaky on his feet.

"He should have been sectioned to give me time to put something in place to care for him when he got home. I asked a member of staff: who trains me to deal with this? I have no experience of working with people who are mentally ill. She told me to speak to my doctor - that was the help I got.

"I am worried that my son is going to do the same again; I am walking about keeping him by my side 24/7. I shouldn't have to do this but if it keeps my son alive I will do it. Do I sit with him when he's asleep? Does he sleep in my bedroom? He has tried it three times so of course he is going to try it again and that scares me," she said.

This mother contacted The Impartial Reporter in the hope that sharing her story would not only raise awareness of the issue but come as some sort of comfort to anyone in Fermanagh that has experienced something similar. If you need someone to talk to then speak out. Lifeline can be contacted on 0808 808 8000 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and calls are free from all landlines and mobile phones. Samaritans can be contacted on 08457 90 90 90. Alternatively, you can log on to www.help4kids.co.uk, www.heads-away-just-say.com, www.heademotionalwellbeing.com or www.mindingyourhead.info.

Comments

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.

20 Apr 2014 15:00 • Julie Kenwell

Family ‘sick of thought’ of third round of heart surgery for Alfie

THE family of Bellanaleck toddler, Alfie Keys are nervously looking ahead to this September.

20 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Trust identifies ‘extreme risks’ that could kill patients

Extreme risks have been identified by the Western Trust which could “compromise client safety” or even lead to “injury or death of patients or staff”.