Growing up in the Beckett era - a god-daughter's memories

Published: 23 Aug 2012 13:000 comments

THE god-daughter of Samuel Beckett, Alba Arikha, says the Nobel Prize-winning writer would appreciate the five day festival being held in his honour in Enniskillen this Bank Holiday weekend, had he lived to see it take place.

Author and musician Alba Arikha photographed at home.

Alba and her mother, a good friend of Beckett's, will attend the Happy Days International Beckett Festival on Saturday and Sunday and read extracts from their own books.

As a young child Alba, by her own admission, did not fully grasp just how influential her parents' close friend was on the literary and arts world.

But now fully aware of her god-father's talent, she says she will take great pride in playing her part at the world's first ever multi-arts festival celebrating his work.

Her memoir,'Major/Minor', published last year, documents what life was like growing up in Paris in the 1980s.

In it she recounts how as a teenager, she didn't fully appreciate who her god-father was to the world.

"As a child I was more interested in actors and rock stars than writers," she explains.

"He used to come over for dinner.

"He was a very good friend of my father's. My father was a painter, my mother was a poet, so it was a very artistic relationship that they shared with Beckett. They would show each other their work, especially my father and Beckett.

"I would play the piano together with him. He would listen to a lot of music with my father and sometimes come in and listen to it too."

Alba started writing as a teenager and began sending some of her work to Beckett for his feedback.

"He would write back when he thought it was good and if he didn't like it he didn't write at all!" she says.

It was only at the age of 16 or 17 in school that she really discovered Beckett's catalogue of work.

"I remember we had coffee together when I was around 22, we had a proper conversation. I'm really glad we did that," says Alba, "He listened very carefully and talked about books, his experiences during the war and writing. I know I'm lucky I got to know him as I did."

Alba says her interest in Beckett now is purely a personal one.

"I'm not at all a Beckett expert. I know a lot of people who are coming to the festival are proper fans. I know his work a bit but I am not a total Beckett expert. I'm very pleased to be part of the festival of course. My mother wrote about him too. Her book, 'How it Was', is about his relationship with my father. It's a much more in-depth study because she was able to enjoy the friendship which lasted about 35 years."

Alba and her mother, Anne, will arrive in Enniskillen on Saturday.

It will be the first time she has ever stepped foot in Ireland.

"I'm very much looking forward to it. Beckett was a very inspiring man. Even when I was young, I felt that there was something very special about him -- he had a certain aura.

"But he was a shy man, very reserved. He didn't deal with publicity very well. I'm sure though, that he would be very pleased to know about the festival. He would have really appreciated it."

Comments

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.

20 Apr 2014 15:00 • Julie Kenwell

Family ‘sick of thought’ of third round of heart surgery for Alfie

THE family of Bellanaleck toddler, Alfie Keys are nervously looking ahead to this September.

20 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Trust identifies ‘extreme risks’ that could kill patients

Extreme risks have been identified by the Western Trust which could “compromise client safety” or even lead to “injury or death of patients or staff”.

20 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

‘End of an era’ for Leslie and McCrea family

Tempo Primary’s long serving caretaker - whose family has a long connection with the Fermanagh school - was paid a warm tribute at the start of the school’s Easter Holidays.