The mental anguish that led one young man to try to commit suicide

Published: 7 Sep 2012 14:23

"I am hurting, I need it to stop and whether that's by ending my life or getting help, I don't know. If the help is not there then I am going to go for the first option... I don't want to be here any more."

The heart-wrenching words of a 21-year-old man from Maguiresbridge who researched ways to die then tried to take his own life last month for the third time. Three weeks on he says he feels the same way.

"I am in the same position I was in then; I just feel like I don't want to be here any more. I am tired of feeling the way I am feeling."

John (not his real name) has spoken to The Impartial Reporter just weeks after his mother made an emotional appeal through his newspaper for help with her suicidal son. The interview that follows really opens up the issue of suicide and depression here.

"I am speaking out because of my mum. I love her to bits, I love my family to bits, and I don't want to hurt them," he said.

His reason for speaking out is simple: he wants, he hopes, to show people what it is like to "never have a clear head", though he admits: "I didn't plan on being around to even tell this story."

For John, a grey Saturday night three weeks ago was to be the third time he would attempt to end his life and while his family holidayed in Antrim he made the decision after meticulous preparation and research to take a cocktail of alcohol and tablets in his home.

"I was down but I didn't want the family to worry, or they would have returned from their break. I pretended I was okay. The one good thing about whenever I am depressed is that I sleep a lot and sleep is my release; I go into my own world and it takes me away from reality. At that stage I didn't want to be here any more... I knew what I was doing."

He texted a friend with a message: "I told him I was sorry and to tell my mum I was sorry" and then drank three bottles of alcohol while continuously taking a mixture of tablets prescribed to him by his doctor for his bipolar disease and depression. Remarkably, his friend raised the alarm and John was rushed to the South West Acute Hospital where he was placed on a life-support machine.

"I don't know how the ambulance was able to find my house, I wasn't planning on going out of there alive. The way I feel at the minute I wish I could just switch off, I wish there was a way of me doing it without anybody stopping me. I can't do this any more. I know that's not easy for people to listen to but this is how I feel," he admits.

Depression, he says, is a difficult and complex problem to deal with. He says he wakes up every day, not knowing how to feel, citing a mixture of confusion and scrambled emotions. "I never have a clear head," he says.

John turned to drugs to make himself "feel better" and soon developed an addiction, taking things like cocaine, ecstasy, speed and MDMA to "ease the pain" in the hope it would "take me out of the low".

He added: "I go through stages where I am depressed for no reason and then I'll go through a stage where I am high and in a very good mood; I'll spend money I don't have and make decisions I haven't thought enough about."

John says his depression spells usually last anything from two to three months; it is during these times that he will occasionally think about ways to end his own life, something he referred to a number of times during the course of this interview. When questioned on this and the impact such a move would have on his family and friends, he said: "I have heard people say that whenever people end their lives it is a very selfish thing to do, my mother has said this to me too, but I wasn't thinking that at the time. I was thinking that people would be better off without me instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with me, or being around me when I am in a bad mood or snapping at them."

Asked if he thought suicide was a 'selfish thing to do' he replied: "Not really, I feel people would be better off. I know it is causing my family pain, but I wish someone could have my brain for five minutes so they could understand what I am feeling."

Whenever John was first sectioned in England following a previous suicide attempt during his stint at University doctors suggested he had symptoms of bipolar-ism. He says he doesn't want to be sectioned again.

"I have been sectioned before, it's not a nice thing to do. I know I need help, I just don't know what way to do it. I don't want to feel this way any more. If I got help, proper help, when I was first diagnosed I don't think I would be feeling this way," he said.

Following this interview, John assured us he would seek help "if it was available".

19 Apr 2014 21:00 • Brian Donaldson

First election nominations made at Townhall

The countdown to the first election for seats on the new Fermanagh and Omagh District Council on May 22 has begun with the first candidates nominating at Enniskillen Townhall this week.

19 Apr 2014 17:10

Mallards gain another crucial point in safety battle

Ballinamallard took another step closer to safety as they claimed a share of the spoils at home to Ballymena today.

19 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Leading anti-fracker believes local protesters are on the right track

Founder of Frack Free Sussex and Britain and Ireland Frack Free, Vanessa Vine visited Enniskillen last Saturday to discuss the local anti-fracking campaign.

19 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Road rage car chase for boxing champ who turned away from possible fight

A boxing champion shied away from a fight with a man over twice his age only to become embroiled in a road rage incident.

19 Apr 2014 11:00 • Editorial Department

Milk suppliers assured that Society is debt free

The forty-eight former Fivemiletown milk suppliers have been assured that Fivemiletown and Brookeborough Co-operative and Agricultural Dairy Society (the Society) is debt free and that they will “continue to be paid”.

19 Apr 2014 09:00 • Rodney Edwards

Elliott votes against bill on powers for new Super Councils

ULSTER Unionist MLA Tom Elliott has joined his party colleagues in voting against the Local Government Bill, the legislation that sets out the powers of the new Super Councils. Mr. Elliott spoke of his concern around community planning ahead of the amalgamation which will see 26 Councils merge into 11, including the amalgamation of Fermanagh District Council and Omagh District Council

19 Apr 2014 08:30

Police name motorcyclist killed in Fivemiletown crash

Police can confirm that a male motorcyclist has died following a two vehicle road traffic collision on the Belfast Road in Fivemiletown last night, Friday 18 April.

18 Apr 2014 22:00 • Rodney Edwards

Orange audit: 93 per cent believe Catholics ‘suspicious’ of order

A MAJOR survey into the Orange Order in Fermanagh has found that 92.8 per cent of people who took part in the project believe Catholics are “suspicious” of the organisation.

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.