The mental anguish that led one young man to try to commit suicide

Published: 7 Sep 2012 14:23

"I am hurting, I need it to stop and whether that's by ending my life or getting help, I don't know. If the help is not there then I am going to go for the first option... I don't want to be here any more."

The heart-wrenching words of a 21-year-old man from Maguiresbridge who researched ways to die then tried to take his own life last month for the third time. Three weeks on he says he feels the same way.

"I am in the same position I was in then; I just feel like I don't want to be here any more. I am tired of feeling the way I am feeling."

John (not his real name) has spoken to The Impartial Reporter just weeks after his mother made an emotional appeal through his newspaper for help with her suicidal son. The interview that follows really opens up the issue of suicide and depression here.

"I am speaking out because of my mum. I love her to bits, I love my family to bits, and I don't want to hurt them," he said.

His reason for speaking out is simple: he wants, he hopes, to show people what it is like to "never have a clear head", though he admits: "I didn't plan on being around to even tell this story."

For John, a grey Saturday night three weeks ago was to be the third time he would attempt to end his life and while his family holidayed in Antrim he made the decision after meticulous preparation and research to take a cocktail of alcohol and tablets in his home.

"I was down but I didn't want the family to worry, or they would have returned from their break. I pretended I was okay. The one good thing about whenever I am depressed is that I sleep a lot and sleep is my release; I go into my own world and it takes me away from reality. At that stage I didn't want to be here any more... I knew what I was doing."

He texted a friend with a message: "I told him I was sorry and to tell my mum I was sorry" and then drank three bottles of alcohol while continuously taking a mixture of tablets prescribed to him by his doctor for his bipolar disease and depression. Remarkably, his friend raised the alarm and John was rushed to the South West Acute Hospital where he was placed on a life-support machine.

"I don't know how the ambulance was able to find my house, I wasn't planning on going out of there alive. The way I feel at the minute I wish I could just switch off, I wish there was a way of me doing it without anybody stopping me. I can't do this any more. I know that's not easy for people to listen to but this is how I feel," he admits.

Depression, he says, is a difficult and complex problem to deal with. He says he wakes up every day, not knowing how to feel, citing a mixture of confusion and scrambled emotions. "I never have a clear head," he says.

John turned to drugs to make himself "feel better" and soon developed an addiction, taking things like cocaine, ecstasy, speed and MDMA to "ease the pain" in the hope it would "take me out of the low".

He added: "I go through stages where I am depressed for no reason and then I'll go through a stage where I am high and in a very good mood; I'll spend money I don't have and make decisions I haven't thought enough about."

John says his depression spells usually last anything from two to three months; it is during these times that he will occasionally think about ways to end his own life, something he referred to a number of times during the course of this interview. When questioned on this and the impact such a move would have on his family and friends, he said: "I have heard people say that whenever people end their lives it is a very selfish thing to do, my mother has said this to me too, but I wasn't thinking that at the time. I was thinking that people would be better off without me instead of trying to figure out what is wrong with me, or being around me when I am in a bad mood or snapping at them."

Asked if he thought suicide was a 'selfish thing to do' he replied: "Not really, I feel people would be better off. I know it is causing my family pain, but I wish someone could have my brain for five minutes so they could understand what I am feeling."

Whenever John was first sectioned in England following a previous suicide attempt during his stint at University doctors suggested he had symptoms of bipolar-ism. He says he doesn't want to be sectioned again.

"I have been sectioned before, it's not a nice thing to do. I know I need help, I just don't know what way to do it. I don't want to feel this way any more. If I got help, proper help, when I was first diagnosed I don't think I would be feeling this way," he said.

Following this interview, John assured us he would seek help "if it was available".

24 Apr 2014 21:18

Beragh see off Lisbellaw to set up final date with Town

Stephen Browne proved to be the match winner for Beragh Swifts as they set up an Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup final meeting with Enniskillen Town United following a 2-0 win over Lisbellaw United at Ferney Park tonight Browne bagged both the second half goals that saw Beragh progress.

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Editorial Department

Churches come together to commemorate the sadness of Good Friday

The sadness and poignancy of Good Friday was commemorated by the congregations of The Graan and Rossorry Parish Church, who came together for “The Way of the Cross”.

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

Led (as in ‘Lad’)

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Villiers’ sums ‘don’t add up’

SINN Fein MLA Rosie McCorley used her Easter address in Fermanagh on Sunday to hit out at Secretary of State Theresa Villiers who last week said that any review into the past must have “proportionate focus on the wrongdoing of paramilitaries”.

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Editorial Department

Tamboran expect to drill a well in Ireland in June or July, report says

FRACKING company Tamboran’s Chief Executive Officer Joel Riddle has said that it expects to drill a well in Ireland in June or July.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Mass rule is ‘destroying the Orange Order’

A FERMANAGH Orangeman has spoken of how he has been on the verge of quitting the organisation over its “stupid rule” about members attending Catholic church services.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Criticism of those who wear ‘convict uniform to toast Queen’

THE deaths of prominent Republicans Jim Murphy and Patrick McManus have been remembered during commemorative events in Derrylin and Swanlinbar, organised by the 1916 Sean MacDiarmada society.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Kilkenny man is new manager at Lough Erne

Kilkenny-man Andrew Phelan has been appointed as General Manager of the Lough Erne Resort.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Shareholder claims that Glanbia made £10,000 offer at meeting

FIVEMILETOWN Co-operative Society shareholders have been offered £10,000 each from Glanbia, a shareholder has claimed.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Lily Dane

Quinton family dealt another blow with death of Christopher

The Quinton family has been dealt another tragic blow with the news this week of the unexpected death of Christopher Quinton whose passing is being met with shock and sadness in the community.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Rodney Edwards

Call for ban on GAA jerseys at universities debated

SINN Fein’s Phil Flanagan has discussed Jim Allister’s call for a ban on GAA jerseys from universities in Northern Ireland with the Employment and Learning Minister, Dr. Stephen Farry.

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

'Nanny, nanny... he's dead, dead'

The call no mother wants - read Ruby Brown's moving interview following the death of her son Richard in a motorbike accident

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

Collegiate given chance of 11th hour appeal to WELB

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School are to make an 11th hour appeal to members of the Western Education Library Board (WELB) not to sign off on a development proposal which would see it merge with Portora Royal next year.

24 Apr 2014 10:15

3,000-year-old bogwood sculptures installed at SWAH garden

BOGWOOD sculptures over 3,000 years old have been installed at the South West Acute Hospital (SWAH) garden.

24 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Way of the Cross: Congregations walk together on Good Friday.

24 Apr 2014 09:30 • Editorial Department

In today's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.