Councillor's expectations for a special Christmas

Published: 4 Oct 2012 13:000 comments

DUP Enniskillen Town Councillor Alison Brimstone and husband, Aaron are looking ahead to a very special Christmas with the impending arrival of their first-born this December.

Councillor Alison Brimstone is expecting her first child in
December.

Now 30 weeks pregnant the solicitor and Fermanagh public representative says she is extremely excited at the prospect of becoming a mother for the first time.

"The time has just flown in, it really has," she says, "I'm looking forward to it but I'm also a little apprehensive!"

Due to give birth on December 7, this will be the first grandchild on the Brooker side of the family.

"I found out when I was about four weeks pregnant," she explains, "We know the sex of the baby but we are not telling anyone else. It's nice that it's our wee secret for now."

A local councillor for over two years now, she is excited to have her baby in the new multi-million pound South West Acute Hospital.

"I have heard a lot of good reports about how lovely the hospital is and that the maternity ward is top notch. The staff are excellent, but of course we know that already from the Erne Hospital. So that's something else to look forward to as well.

"Aaron is being a modern-day man by coming to the ante-natal classes too -- he is just as excited about becoming a parent as I am!"

For the time being, Mrs Brimstone says she is playing it by ear when it comes to the question of taking time off from her civic duties.

"I'm really conscious that I enjoy my council work so I don't want to miss out on it. So I'm just seeing how it goes for now."

The soon-to-be yummy mummy says she hasn't had any cravings so far during her pregnancy.

"I have gone off some foods though and I can't drink tea! For the first three months the smell of roast dinners tended to make me quite nauseous. We went away for a weekend and I remember sitting down to breakfast the next day thinking I really wanted to eat something but I just couldn't -- I was very conscious that my stomach was just churning!"

She says her remedy during the first trimester sickness was plenty of sparkling water.

And having enjoyed the boost of energy that comes with the second trimester, Mrs Brimstone says she is now starting to feel a bit more tired and short of breath coming closer to her due date.

"If I have a busy day adrenaline though, keeps me going," she insists, "If I'm working 9 to 5 and I have a Council meeting later that night it's only when I get home that I realise I'm tired. I try to walk and I try to keep fit but I do find now that I have less breathing space!

"During the first few weeks of the pregnancy it was nice that no one else knew -- to have that little secret. But it was also really nice to tell everyone too."

And her tip for other expectant mums?

"Just enjoy the pregnancy because it really does go in so fast. Enjoy the experience, it's such a lovely time. But I'm also looking forward to meeting the baby for the first time too!"

Comments

23 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.