Three teachers treated in hospital after fumes leak
Published: 11 Oct 2012 13:000 comments
The teachers, along with a number of students had all reported feeling nauseous following an early morning emergency evacuation of the school.
According to Headmaster, Neil Morton, the gas leak was caused by a malfunction in one of the school's central heating boilers.
A letter, explaining in detail what occurred on Friday was sent out to parents and guardians later that day.
In his letter, Mr Morton explained that at around 8.40am there was a pervasive smell around the back classroom block of the school.
At 8.45am instructions were issued for an emergency evacuation.
Windows were opened to ensure ventilation of the building.
All students were directed to meet in the parade ground where they remained for around an hour, and were supervised, until given the all clear.
Three fire appliances, two from Enniskillen Fire Station and one from Irvinestown were deployed.
A gas monitor was brought into the school to ensure that all races of carbon monoxide were removed from the premises.
Normal school convened at around 9.55am. However three teachers who had been in the staff room above the boiler room reported feeling unwell after 9am and were sent to the South West Acute Hospital for check-ups.
They returned after 10am after being assured they had not been exposed to poisonous gases.
According to Mr Morton, a number of students later reported feeling unwell. Their parents were informed.
"At all time, the safety of all of the community was foremost in our considerations," Mr Morton wrote in his letter.
The defective boiler has since been repaired.
Commentscomments powered by Disqus
Get more stories from our Roundup section
10 Dec 2013 10:25
About 170 people in Fermanagh suffered power cuts during last Thursday’s storm, NIE (Northern Ireland Electricity) has revealed.
10 Dec 2013 08:30
A 22-year-old man can’t recall punching a stranger in the face and fracturing his jaw, Fermanagh Court has been told.
9 Dec 2013 21:45
Two local boat owners have been prosecuted for leaving their motor cruisers moored at the Round ‘O’ public jetty in Enniskillen for longer than 48 hours.
9 Dec 2013 18:45
Pupils from Ballinamallard Primary School have won a poster competition to highlight road safety.
9 Dec 2013 15:30
A 50-year-old farmer seen staggering across a road, getting into a vehicle and starting the engine, had no intention of driving, Fermanagh Court has been told.
9 Dec 2013 12:50 • Editorial Department
Out of all the seasons, driving in the winter requires the most care and preparation.
9 Dec 2013 08:30 • Editorial Department
Opportunities were afforded for people to ‘find out more about tracing their family history and the history of their local community’ at a recent Family History Fair in the Killyhevlin Hotel, Enniskillen.
8 Dec 2013 21:30 • Editorial Department
Police launched their Christmas campaign against drinking and driving with a zero tolerance message of: “Not even one - because just one drink can kill.”
8 Dec 2013 18:30 • Meadhbh Monahan
Q: What is ‘entrepreneurship education’ and how is it being fostered in South West College? - Yvonne South West College is the only Northern Irish member of the Gazelle Group; a recognisable cluster of entrepreneurial colleges across the UK.
8 Dec 2013 14:30 • Editorial Department
A 32-year-old pregnant mother of three has lost her baby while in prison awaiting trial for the burglary of the South West Acute Hospital in Enniskillen.
8 Dec 2013 12:00 • Editorial Department
First place in this year’s Soroptimist International Enniskillen and District Annual Youth Award Public Speaking Competition was awarded to Siobhan Kerr, a pupil at Enniskillen Collegiate Grammar School.
8 Dec 2013 09:00 • Editorial Department
The first woman to be appointed a bishop in the Anglican church in the British Isles, has local connections.
7 Dec 2013 20:30 • Editorial Department
A 23-year-old man had his teeth knocked out in what he claimed was a “sectarian” attack in Lisnaskea last Christmas.
7 Dec 2013 19:49 • Meadhbh Monahan
“I was beaten with a baseball bat with nails on it, in the dark, at 4am; [deciding whether to protest at a frack site] is a big challenge for parents and a big decision to make.” That was one message given to over 100 people who attended a Ban Fracking Fermanagh meeting in the Railway Hotel today (Saturday), from Tara Canon from Bundoran, who protested for two years against a motorway going through The Hill of Tara in County Meath.
7 Dec 2013 17:16
Ballinamallard claimed the points at Ferney Park today as Davy Kee's 69th minute goal earned them the victory against Ards.
7 Dec 2013 14:15 • Rodney Edwards
A man in his early fifties has died following an accident in Lisnaskea this morning (Saturday).
7 Dec 2013 14:00 • Editorial Department
FERMANAGH District Council has vowed to stand “shoulder to shoulder” with the workers at HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) in Enniskillen following the news that the organisation has introduced a voluntary redundancy scheme.
7 Dec 2013 11:30 • Rodney Edwards
A YOUNG mother struggling to keep her home warm turns the heating off when her children are out and wears an extra jumper.
7 Dec 2013 09:00 • Editorial Department
HEALTH Minister Edwin Poots says he will continue to challenge the Western Trust when he needs to get answers on issues in Fermanagh.
6 Dec 2013 21:30 • Julie Kenwell
A substantial infestation of Japanese knotweed could spell “dire consequences” for Fermanagh property owners, a weed management company has warned.