Accused told detectives he wouldn't 'harm a hair' on Millie's head

Published: 24 Oct 2012 14:25

The 33-year-old man accused of murdering baby Millie Martin told police he had "absolutely nothing" to do with her death, that he wouldn't "harm a hair on her head" and that he was "sick ... shocked ... and disgusted" at what happened to her.

Barry McCarney.

Dungannon Crown Court heard that Barry McCarney made the claims as detectives pressed him as to how the 15-month-old toddler got the multitude of injuries found on her body following her death on December 11, 2009.

McCarney, from Woodview Crescent, Trillick, denies not only murdering Millie, but also sexually and physically abusing her, while her 27-year-old mother, Rachael Martin, from Main Street, Kesh, denies wilfully neglecting and allowing the death of her daughter.

When initially asked about the fatal blow to the back of Millie's head, McCarney replied: "I don't know how she got that injury. I know absolutely nothing about ...... I am completely disgusted and in shock that Millie has suffered something like this."

Detectives then question him about the alleged sex abuse of the infant and the bruising found around her genital area, asking him: "Is there anything you can tell us in relation to that?"

"I know absolutely nothing about that," came the reply.

Millie's various injuries: the head injury, the fractured ribs, the haemorrhaging behind both her eyes and the trauma to her genital area, were listed for McCarney before he was simply asked: "Did you cause any of these injuries?"

"No I did not cause any of those injuries," he replied, adding: "I didn't and I would not harm a hair on her head.

"I cannot express this enough, I am sick, I'm in shock, I'm disgusted by the injuries that Millie had and I've told you before and I'm telling you again, I did not harm that child in any way."

However, police in turn put it to McCarney ... "Well somebody did", to which he responded: "I'm not the only person that had access to Millie."

Earlier the court heard McCarney's claims that Millie was "completely lifeless" when he plucked her from her cot after he heard her let out a "gasp", and while he'd never performed mouth-to-mouth on anyone, he tried it on the toddled, explaining to police he was just trying to do his "best to help her .... I didn't know what to do".

He told detectives that having picked Millie up and put her in his arms, her "head was tilted .... tilted back .... her lips were blue and her face was white".

"I picked her up and as I picked her up, all the time I was shouting her name and gave her a wee shake ..... but nothing," he added.

McCarney said he began "slapping her on the back" and that was when he realised she was not breathing, before taking her downstairs and putting her on the kitchen floor.

Reading from transcripted interview notes, a detective told the jury of nine men and three women, McCarney said Millie's "legs and arms were limp" as he held her under her arms, giving her mouth-to-mouth.

"There was no response at all ....completely lifeless," McCarney told police.

He said it was the first time he had ever attempted CPR, adding later, that while he had never done a course in giving mouth-to-mouth... "I'm just trying my best to help her .... I didn't know what to do".

However, he also told police that as he gave mouth-to-mouth he thought he may have split her lip as "there was like a liquid .... a clear mucus with a trace of blood" coming from her mouth.

"Coming out of her mouth and nose ...... I could feel it all around my mouth .... and was wiping it away" on the sleeve of his top, McCarney added later.

He told police he then ran to his next door neighbour's house and "kicked the front door and shouting 'help, help, help,' ....I need to get my child to hospital".

McCarney said that as they reversed into the street, Rachael Martin, whom he had sent to buy him chocolate, drove into their driveway, but he didn't tell his neighbour to stop, but to drive on.

Millie, he said, was "lifeless, still lifeless", as they were rushed to the Erne Hospital by his neighbour, who kept asking: "what happened her ... what happened her ..... and I kept saying, I don't know, I don't know".

McCarney said as he again attempted mouth-to-mouth, his neighbour advised him "to massage her chest", which he did, because, "it was better to try something than to try nothing".

At that stage, he claimed he felt a heart beat ... "her heart beat was very strong" ... and he thought if only he could keep her going, she would be "OK" once they got her to hospital.

23 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.