Accused told detectives he wouldn't 'harm a hair' on Millie's head

Published: 24 Oct 2012 14:25

The 33-year-old man accused of murdering baby Millie Martin told police he had "absolutely nothing" to do with her death, that he wouldn't "harm a hair on her head" and that he was "sick ... shocked ... and disgusted" at what happened to her.

Barry McCarney.

Dungannon Crown Court heard that Barry McCarney made the claims as detectives pressed him as to how the 15-month-old toddler got the multitude of injuries found on her body following her death on December 11, 2009.

McCarney, from Woodview Crescent, Trillick, denies not only murdering Millie, but also sexually and physically abusing her, while her 27-year-old mother, Rachael Martin, from Main Street, Kesh, denies wilfully neglecting and allowing the death of her daughter.

When initially asked about the fatal blow to the back of Millie's head, McCarney replied: "I don't know how she got that injury. I know absolutely nothing about ...... I am completely disgusted and in shock that Millie has suffered something like this."

Detectives then question him about the alleged sex abuse of the infant and the bruising found around her genital area, asking him: "Is there anything you can tell us in relation to that?"

"I know absolutely nothing about that," came the reply.

Millie's various injuries: the head injury, the fractured ribs, the haemorrhaging behind both her eyes and the trauma to her genital area, were listed for McCarney before he was simply asked: "Did you cause any of these injuries?"

"No I did not cause any of those injuries," he replied, adding: "I didn't and I would not harm a hair on her head.

"I cannot express this enough, I am sick, I'm in shock, I'm disgusted by the injuries that Millie had and I've told you before and I'm telling you again, I did not harm that child in any way."

However, police in turn put it to McCarney ... "Well somebody did", to which he responded: "I'm not the only person that had access to Millie."

Earlier the court heard McCarney's claims that Millie was "completely lifeless" when he plucked her from her cot after he heard her let out a "gasp", and while he'd never performed mouth-to-mouth on anyone, he tried it on the toddled, explaining to police he was just trying to do his "best to help her .... I didn't know what to do".

He told detectives that having picked Millie up and put her in his arms, her "head was tilted .... tilted back .... her lips were blue and her face was white".

"I picked her up and as I picked her up, all the time I was shouting her name and gave her a wee shake ..... but nothing," he added.

McCarney said he began "slapping her on the back" and that was when he realised she was not breathing, before taking her downstairs and putting her on the kitchen floor.

Reading from transcripted interview notes, a detective told the jury of nine men and three women, McCarney said Millie's "legs and arms were limp" as he held her under her arms, giving her mouth-to-mouth.

"There was no response at all ....completely lifeless," McCarney told police.

He said it was the first time he had ever attempted CPR, adding later, that while he had never done a course in giving mouth-to-mouth... "I'm just trying my best to help her .... I didn't know what to do".

However, he also told police that as he gave mouth-to-mouth he thought he may have split her lip as "there was like a liquid .... a clear mucus with a trace of blood" coming from her mouth.

"Coming out of her mouth and nose ...... I could feel it all around my mouth .... and was wiping it away" on the sleeve of his top, McCarney added later.

He told police he then ran to his next door neighbour's house and "kicked the front door and shouting 'help, help, help,' ....I need to get my child to hospital".

McCarney said that as they reversed into the street, Rachael Martin, whom he had sent to buy him chocolate, drove into their driveway, but he didn't tell his neighbour to stop, but to drive on.

Millie, he said, was "lifeless, still lifeless", as they were rushed to the Erne Hospital by his neighbour, who kept asking: "what happened her ... what happened her ..... and I kept saying, I don't know, I don't know".

McCarney said as he again attempted mouth-to-mouth, his neighbour advised him "to massage her chest", which he did, because, "it was better to try something than to try nothing".

At that stage, he claimed he felt a heart beat ... "her heart beat was very strong" ... and he thought if only he could keep her going, she would be "OK" once they got her to hospital.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.

21 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

Not against a community centre but not on ‘our doorstep’

“WE are not against a community centre, we just don’t want it on our doorstep.”

20 Apr 2014 19:00

'We want to do it for the supporters' - Davy Black

Clogher Valley coach David Black has vowed to make up for their All Ireland Junior Cup Final defeat by winning the Ulster Towns’ Cup for their supporters when they take on Donaghadee at Ravenhill on Easter Monday.

20 Apr 2014 15:00 • Julie Kenwell

Family ‘sick of thought’ of third round of heart surgery for Alfie

THE family of Bellanaleck toddler, Alfie Keys are nervously looking ahead to this September.

20 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Trust identifies ‘extreme risks’ that could kill patients

Extreme risks have been identified by the Western Trust which could “compromise client safety” or even lead to “injury or death of patients or staff”.

20 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

‘End of an era’ for Leslie and McCrea family

Tempo Primary’s long serving caretaker - whose family has a long connection with the Fermanagh school - was paid a warm tribute at the start of the school’s Easter Holidays.

19 Apr 2014 21:00 • Brian Donaldson

First election nominations made at Townhall

The countdown to the first election for seats on the new Fermanagh and Omagh District Council on May 22 has begun with the first candidates nominating at Enniskillen Townhall this week.

19 Apr 2014 17:10

Mallards gain another crucial point in safety battle

Ballinamallard took another step closer to safety as they claimed a share of the spoils at home to Ballymena today.

19 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Leading anti-fracker believes local protesters are on the right track

Founder of Frack Free Sussex and Britain and Ireland Frack Free, Vanessa Vine visited Enniskillen last Saturday to discuss the local anti-fracking campaign.

19 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Road rage car chase for boxing champ who turned away from possible fight

A boxing champion shied away from a fight with a man over twice his age only to become embroiled in a road rage incident.

19 Apr 2014 11:00 • Editorial Department

Milk suppliers assured that Society is debt free

The forty-eight former Fivemiletown milk suppliers have been assured that Fivemiletown and Brookeborough Co-operative and Agricultural Dairy Society (the Society) is debt free and that they will “continue to be paid”.

19 Apr 2014 09:00 • Rodney Edwards

Elliott votes against bill on powers for new Super Councils

ULSTER Unionist MLA Tom Elliott has joined his party colleagues in voting against the Local Government Bill, the legislation that sets out the powers of the new Super Councils. Mr. Elliott spoke of his concern around community planning ahead of the amalgamation which will see 26 Councils merge into 11, including the amalgamation of Fermanagh District Council and Omagh District Council

19 Apr 2014 08:30

Police name motorcyclist killed in Fivemiletown crash

Police can confirm that a male motorcyclist has died following a two vehicle road traffic collision on the Belfast Road in Fivemiletown last night, Friday 18 April.

18 Apr 2014 22:00 • Rodney Edwards

Orange audit: 93 per cent believe Catholics ‘suspicious’ of order

A MAJOR survey into the Orange Order in Fermanagh has found that 92.8 per cent of people who took part in the project believe Catholics are “suspicious” of the organisation.

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.