Generosity overwhelms mother with disabled son

Published: 25 Oct 2012 13:000 comments

The kindness of strangers meant a 24-year-old mother and her disabled son were offered a roof over their heads and new furniture after a fire in their home earlier this month.

Psychology Degree student Teresa Magee's privately rented home in Cavanacarragh was badly damaged in a house fire, leaving her effectively homeless. With smoke damage to the property, she felt it was unsuitable for her six year old son Shane, who has complex care needs and has a tracheostomy (a breathing tube that by-passes the obstruction he has in his airway). He requires 24-hour care, has epilepsy, a tracheostomy and is registered blind.

"The utility room was completely burned and the whole house is smoke damaged and the kitchen is the worst," she said.

"I got on to the Housing Executive to see if I could get temporary accommodation as the house was unliveable in. The only thing they could offer was a second floor flat beside Tescos which was £168 a week but my housing benefit is £78 a week. I am a student. So that would be impossible," she said.

A person who wishes to remain anonymous has given Teresa and her son a home in Enniskillen while their home is repaired.

And local businesses -- Bracken Beds, Furnish, Delta Direct and Mullan Domestic -- have all given her items from their shops to replace her smoke damaged belongings.

Conversely, Teresa felt there was a lack of sympathy from social services as to her plight.

"I went over to Social Services and the duty social worker on at the time were not much help. She told me 'we do not have pots of gold'. They were a bit patronising. They should know that a fire is extremely stressful. She asked: 'who said he can't live there?' Surely as a parent as an adult I should not need to be told. I was looking for a safe environment for Shane who has complex health care needs," she said.

Her son had to sleep on a mattress on the floor for five nights as she could not get help to move his bed.

"We asked to have Shane's bed moved. It is a disability bed for pressure sores. We had been trying for five days to get the bed moved. Because he was coughing a lot we were worried with him lying on a mattress on the floor. If Shane needs an emergency tracheostomy change at night, he needs to be up at your level," said Teresa.

An intervention by MLA Tom Elliott saw the bed moved in an afternoon.

She believes there are "gaps in the service". And she feels she is being penalised because she is trying to better her life through taking a degree course in Derry. She is studying Psychology and attends University three days a week.

"As a student I do not get Carers' Allowance and I am only in College eight hours a week but it is classed as a full-time course. My Income Support was stopped which rules out other help through community care grants.

I was encouraged to do this and now I feel I am being penalised. I do not get Carers' allowance or Income Support and my Housing Benefit is down to £78. The accommodation they were offering me cost £170 a week. Not many people working full-time could afford that," she said

She feels as a student she has no choice but to get into debt. In her second year of study, she could not get Income Support as she had potential access to a student loan. "You have no choice but to get into debt".

"My aim is to get my degree and get off benefits. I could easily sit and claim Carers' Allowance and Income Support forever.

"I can't move up to Derry as Shane has his care package here and is settled in school so I have to drive up and down. I have to go through the barriers," she said.

Comments

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.

17 Apr 2014 14:06

Enniskillen by-pass could start in four years says Minister

WORK on the long-awaited Southern by-pass of Enniskillen could start in four years’ time but only if the millions needed for the scheme can be found, Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has said.

17 Apr 2014 13:11

No referendum on fracking at Council elections

Fermanagh District Council is unlikely to hold a fracking referendum after legal advice has recommended against it.

17 Apr 2014 13:01

Woman who tried to give man love bite guilty of sexual assault

A 47-year-old woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young man after she allegedly “forced” herself on him, grabbing him by the bum and telling him she loved him.

17 Apr 2014 11:45

St. Patrick's Day crash led driver to court

A 42-year-old driver who failed to stop after crashing into a car on a bridge on St. Patrick’s Day was three times the legal alcohol limit.

17 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Clerics attend Queen’s banquet: Praise for their cross-community work

17 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharpe names Premier 18 for Milk Cup

Fermanagh Premier Milk Cup manager Derek Sharpe has named his 18 man squad for this summer's competition.

17 Apr 2014 09:15

Men arrested in connection with security alert charged with theft

THE two men arrested in connection with a security alert in Fintona on Tuesday this week have been charged with Theft and Going Equipped for Theft

17 Apr 2014 09:00

Schoolgirl chef makes it to Fine Dine final

A local pupil has been named a finalist in this year's Fine Dine at Mine All-Ireland Schools Cookery Competion.

16 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter read:

How a woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a man after touching him and trying to give him a love bite.