Childminder finalist 'Jojo' who just loves her job

Published: 1 Nov 2012 13:000 comments

BELLANALECK childminder, Joanne Keys will learn next Tuesday whether she has been awarded the title of Northern Ireland's Childminder of the Year.

Joanne Keys, (front centre), Childminder of the Year nominee with from left, Megan Keys, Tommy Watson, Harry Elliott, Molly Watson and Grace Keys; standing at back, Jenny and Sam Elliott.<<

Nominated by mum of two, Jenny Elliott from Florencecourt, she has only been childminding for three years now.

But she couldn't be happier with her new chosen career path.

"I have no idea what my chances are of winning next week but if I do it would just be a bonus," she insisted, "I love my job so much and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to be able to work at home with their own children as well."

Joanne has three children of her own aged between 10 and 15 years of age and looks after five other children.

"My two girls are really into looking after the children," she said, "They are off on their Halloween holidays so they are helping me out this week.

"It is a happy wee household when we are all here. Everything has just fallen into place.

"I'm in a great routine."

Despite her contentment, Joanne had never considered childminding as a career until a couple of years ago.

"I just wanted a fresh start," she said, "I wanted to be able to work at home and thought childminding would be ideal.

"So on August 29 I left work and began childminding on September 1 -- I have never looked back since."

Joanne has been looking after Jenny's two children, Harry (4) and Sam (2) for over a year now.

"I have never had that feeling 'I don't want to work today'," said Joanne, "The way I see it, I am so lucky that I have two families -- my own three kids and then the children I look after -- my extended family."

Joanne is one of six finalists in the Childminding Association's annual awards.

She and the other hopefuls will be interviewed by a panel of judges in Belfast's Opera House next Tuesday before this year's winner is revealed.

Her nominator, Jenny says Joanne goes far beyond the call of duty, ensuring that not one birthday goes by uncelebrated.

"Joanne is just fantastic. She is so good with the children and the parents as well. The kids are so happy and content with her which in turn makes me feel happy to go off to work and leave them in her care. She has birthday parties for them, she's having a Halloween party for them this week and at Christmas she always does special things with them as well. The children really love her -- they call her JoJo.

"When I was nominating her I had to write 100 words saying why she deserved to be put through -- it was actually hard to get it into just 100 words. I could have written so much more about her! We would be lost without her," said Jenny.

But Joanne insists that she enjoys it all just as much as the children do.

"Birthdays are important -- every birthday is a milestone especially in a child's life -- any old excuse to get the music blaring and have some sweets and cake and crisps!

"I know I am very lucky to have such wonderful kids and parents and for Jenny to nominate me and be thought of so highly is praise enough for me," she added.

Comments

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Editorial Department

Churches come together to commemorate the sadness of Good Friday

The sadness and poignancy of Good Friday was commemorated by the congregations of The Graan and Rossorry Parish Church, who came together for “The Way of the Cross”.

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

Led (as in ‘Lad’)

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Villiers’ sums ‘don’t add up’

SINN Fein MLA Rosie McCorley used her Easter address in Fermanagh on Sunday to hit out at Secretary of State Theresa Villiers who last week said that any review into the past must have “proportionate focus on the wrongdoing of paramilitaries”.

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Editorial Department

Tamboran expect to drill a well in Ireland in June or July, report says

FRACKING company Tamboran’s Chief Executive Officer Joel Riddle has said that it expects to drill a well in Ireland in June or July.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Mass rule is ‘destroying the Orange Order’

A FERMANAGH Orangeman has spoken of how he has been on the verge of quitting the organisation over its “stupid rule” about members attending Catholic church services.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Criticism of those who wear ‘convict uniform to toast Queen’

THE deaths of prominent Republicans Jim Murphy and Patrick McManus have been remembered during commemorative events in Derrylin and Swanlinbar, organised by the 1916 Sean MacDiarmada society.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Kilkenny man is new manager at Lough Erne

Kilkenny-man Andrew Phelan has been appointed as General Manager of the Lough Erne Resort.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Shareholder claims that Glanbia made £10,000 offer at meeting

FIVEMILETOWN Co-operative Society shareholders have been offered £10,000 each from Glanbia, a shareholder has claimed.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Lily Dane

Quinton family dealt another blow with death of Christopher

The Quinton family has been dealt another tragic blow with the news this week of the unexpected death of Christopher Quinton whose passing is being met with shock and sadness in the community.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Rodney Edwards

Call for ban on GAA jerseys at universities debated

SINN Fein’s Phil Flanagan has discussed Jim Allister’s call for a ban on GAA jerseys from universities in Northern Ireland with the Employment and Learning Minister, Dr. Stephen Farry.

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

'Nanny, nanny... he's dead, dead'

The call no mother wants - read Ruby Brown's moving interview following the death of her son Richard in a motorbike accident

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

Collegiate given chance of 11th hour appeal to WELB

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School are to make an 11th hour appeal to members of the Western Education Library Board (WELB) not to sign off on a development proposal which would see it merge with Portora Royal next year.

24 Apr 2014 10:15

3,000-year-old bogwood sculptures installed at SWAH garden

BOGWOOD sculptures over 3,000 years old have been installed at the South West Acute Hospital (SWAH) garden.

24 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Way of the Cross: Congregations walk together on Good Friday.

24 Apr 2014 09:30 • Editorial Department

In today's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.