Prize day told how one boy stood up to the school bullies

Published: 1 Nov 2012 13:000 comments

The Director of a Fermanagh victims group has told a school speech night of how he fought back and gave an older bully a black eye after years of being picked on in grammar school.

Mr. Kenny Donaldson

Mr. Kenny Donaldson, Director of SEFF (South East Fermanagh Foundation), a victims/survivors group in south east Fermanagh, was guest speaker at the Lisnaskea High School Celebration of Success last Thursday night.

Describing his first two years in Armagh Royal as "tough", the former Ulster Unionist election candidate admitted he had been "bullied fairly badly".

In a very personal address, he told the students, parents and school staff: "I'm going to share a story which I wouldn't necessarily recommend young people follow my example but it did resolve the bullying issue which focused upon me a culchie, farmer, sheep interferer and that sort of nonsense.

"One day I came into school and the usual main bullies (there were two of them) who were two years older than me started a vicious rant on me and I struck out and gave both of them a couple of good clips under the jaw and inflicting a black eye on one.

"Just as this happened the Vice-Principal (who had a notorious temper) came by and of course I was called to his office. I expected to be for the high jump but instead he reached out his hand and shook mine and said that I had done a job of service today for all young people who had been bullied by the two individuals concerned. After that day because a lowly second year had got the better of not one but two fourth years, their bullying stopped," he said.

Mr. Donaldson said through his experiences he would empathise with young people today. "Hence [I] would empathise with the experiences that vulnerable young people go through today and of course with the advent of technology, there are now ways for this practice to be done both at school and outside of it, with the developments we've seen with mobile phones and social networking," he said.

His first day at primary school had also brought its challenges.

"I was born and bred in a Border area, just two miles from Crossmaglen in South Armagh and because of the religious demographics of that area, I had some eight miles to travel to the nearest state school of Newtownhamilton Primary.

"I remember my first day at school very well, setting off the day after I turned four years old to board a bus with a small number of others from our area. My recollections of the journey are very vague but what I do remember is arriving to class and after a short period hoking in my pockets where I found a packet of Strawberry Chewits - my Mum had put them in there as a surprise for me and a treat on my first day at School. I took the packet out and sat it on the desk but without me noticing, the Chewits went missing. At lunch time another boy was eating Strawberry Chewits and when I challenged him that he'd stolen mine. He, of course, denied it".

Mr. Donaldson went on to describe how he reacted: "After lunch when he went to sit down at his desk I pulled the chair from under him and he fell back and bumped his head. Now the teacher at the time was able to do what can't be done in 2012 -- she smacked me on the bum. That day's experience lived me with for many years because it was my first sense of an injustice that had been done which I sought to rectify. Did I do it the right way then -- probably not -- but that experience in part helped shaped the young man I grew into and the larger, rounder man that I am today".

"After seven very happy years at Newtownhamilton Primary School and then after passing the 11+ I set off for Armagh Royal (or as it was known in my area - the snauby joint). Looking back that was not the right decision for me to have made because whilst I was considered 'clever' I was not from a family who were 'social elitists' or who bought into the falsehood that smart kids go to Grammars and stupid kids go to Secondary or High Schools. That wasn't how I saw the world -- the reason I chose to go to that school was more so about my belief that I'd have a stronger opportunity to advance in sport which I was extremely into at that age - athletics and football particularly. Of course when I arrived to the Royal, it was rugby and cricket that were the sports to be played and to excel and football was given no status whatsoever," he said.

He went on to describe his career after leaving school.

He has been Director of Services for SEFF for the last four years. For full coverage of Lisnaskea High School Celebration of Success see pages 36 and 37.

Comments

18 Apr 2014 22:00 • Rodney Edwards

Orange audit: 93 per cent believe Catholics ‘suspicious’ of order

A MAJOR survey into the Orange Order in Fermanagh has found that 92.8 per cent of people who took part in the project believe Catholics are “suspicious” of the organisation.

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.

17 Apr 2014 14:06

Enniskillen by-pass could start in four years says Minister

WORK on the long-awaited Southern by-pass of Enniskillen could start in four years’ time but only if the millions needed for the scheme can be found, Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has said.

17 Apr 2014 13:11

No referendum on fracking at Council elections

Fermanagh District Council is unlikely to hold a fracking referendum after legal advice has recommended against it.

17 Apr 2014 13:01

Woman who tried to give man love bite guilty of sexual assault

A 47-year-old woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young man after she allegedly “forced” herself on him, grabbing him by the bum and telling him she loved him.

17 Apr 2014 11:45

St. Patrick's Day crash led driver to court

A 42-year-old driver who failed to stop after crashing into a car on a bridge on St. Patrick’s Day was three times the legal alcohol limit.

17 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Clerics attend Queen’s banquet: Praise for their cross-community work

17 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharpe names Premier 18 for Milk Cup

Fermanagh Premier Milk Cup manager Derek Sharpe has named his 18 man squad for this summer's competition.