At a ceremony at Enniskillen Townhall, the Minister unveiled the new plan which was commissioned by his Department along with Fermanagh District Council in a bid to provide a strategic guidance for the development of the town.
There are seven core objectives in the Masterplan;
· Promote and strengthen the strong independent retail offering;
· Maximise the town's tourism potential, making the most of its physical assets and geographical location;
· Develop the town's leisure and cultural offering;
· Promote Enniskillen's unique identity as an island town;
· Increase domestic and international tourist figures;
· Provide more the opportunities for living on the island; and
· Reduce traffic congestion within the town centre.
The Minister said that the project would create a realistic vision of how this historic market and tourist town could make best use of its assets and contribute to the long term viability of the town centre.
The Minister said, "I want to encourage development and growth in our town centres, and the Masterplan is an essential starting point for that growth."
Fermanagh District Council Chairman, Councillor Thomas O'Reilly said: "It is important that Enniskillen continues to play its part as a Regional Hub, a Gateway and as the County Town of Fermanagh. The Masterplan identifies the need to sustain an attractive and vibrant Enniskillen Town Centre.