Michelle's first proper taste of Christmas dinner in 15 years

Published: 20 Dec 2012 13:000 comments

On Christmas Day this year, Michelle Cowan is looking forward to sitting down and tucking into her first proper family Christmas dinner in 15 years.

The joyous event will mark another exciting milestone for the 30-year-old from Tamlaght, who has been suffering from a very severe form of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME) since she was 15 - a debilitating illness which took her out of circulation for much of that time.

Last Christmas, she had a liquidised meal, which also marked a progressive step for the young woman, who is relishing everything Christmas this year for the first time in years.

A recent special honour for her was switching on the Christmas lights in Lisbellaw. "I was really honoured to be asked - quite surprised," said Michelle, who adds: "When Johnny (Nelson) came to the door I did not know what to think. I thought it was really lovely to think of someone who was ill."

She got into the spirit of the occasion and had her wheelchair specially decorated and she dressed up as an elf - something that she could not have even contemplated before! It was "a lovely experience," said Michelle, who is thankful to Lisbellaw Christmas Lights Association and Johnny, its treasurer.

Reflecting on the past 15 years is not easy for Michelle, who describes her ME as a "hard and long illness". In fact, she said it all began when she came home from school one day and had symptoms like a 24-hour flu.

"Over 18 months I went lower and lower," indicated Michelle, who ended up bedbound for 12 years. After spending 10 and a half months in hospital, she said her parents, Fred and Ivy Cowan brought her home. "Mum took early retirement and basically without her I could not stay at home." (Her mother was a nurse for nearly 30 years.)

"I could not do anything for myself," explains Michelle, who for eight years was nasal gastric fed and then for four years, peg fed into her stomach.

On July 4, last year, US Independence Day, she was able to have the tube removed and be physically fed. "I could eat ordinary food," declared Michelle, who also enjoyed a recent Christmas lunch outing with the Cedar Foundation at Squires Restaurant, Enniskillen.

"I was able to have turkey and ham and all the trimmings," said the delighted young woman, who also shared in a subsequent craft session. She is appreciative of Geoffrey Kennedy, of the Cedar Foundation, and the other members.

These are major accomplishments for Michelle, who during her bed bound years could not move or turn; she could not move her hands, her feet were crossed and her curtains were closed all the time. "My carers and mum worked with me with a tiny light; I went out of circulation for all those years."

Over time, her body is improving itself - restoring and recovering itself. She admits that she does not know what really caused her ME and reckons it could have been hormonal or due to allergies, or vaccines.

"Something was triggered and it just floored me," mentioned Michelle, who through her illness found that sensations, smells and noise were heightened.

"I am so much better now," says the young woman, who two years ago was hoistlifted into a chair on her 28th birthday - another mark of progress.

"I sat in it for 10 minutes a day and would go back to bed," she said, adding that gradually she would do to it a bit longer.

She also used a blindfold and the curtains were opened bit by bit. "Now I have special glasses which allow me to go into light," says Michelle, who wears a peaked cap, and describes her eyesight as "extremely poor".

About a year ago, she acquired her outdoor wheelchair and her carers take her and her dog out for walks, which she feels is lovely.

She also got her specially adapted car, about a year ago, and said her brother David and father drive her around.

"I am able to spend longer in the wheelchair and I am going longer distances," she explained.

Every Wednesday night, she goes to an Essential Skills Literacy course at South West College, Enniskillen and is coming on really well.

"I did not think I would be able for it," admitted Michelle, who acknowledges her "lovely classroom assistant, Hazel."

Having become unwell at 15, she said she had no qualifications when she left school and for her it is nice being able to go back and attain them. She also finds that her voice recognition computer has really given her independence.

Over the festive period this year, she has been to a number of carol services and believes it is "really lovely getting out and about". She uses Rural Lift and speaks about the lovely drivers, bringing her in and out of town.

Her father was captain of Castlehume Golf Club and she was thrilled to be able to join him at his Captain's night in July. "I have to pinch myself that this is happening to me; that I am able to get out and about."

On Tuesday nights she plays bingo in the Royal British Legion and on Thursday nights in the Unionist Hall, accompanied by carers.

"They mark my book and tell me what number I am waiting on. I am waiting to shout check many times."

She loves animals and every Sunday, her parents bring her to the Round O' where she says 10 geese come to them to be fed bread.

Her cousins have a goat farm and they ring her when a new set of kids arrive. "Dad is nabbed to bring me down," says Michelle, who believes it is lovely to be able to go to her relatives, instead of them coming to her. She also has her dog Snowy and through her illness she had budgies, one of which Misty became a constant companion.

A delightful opportunity last year was acting as Godmother to little Cathy Davies, which saw her shed tears of joy. The Minister came to her house for her to say her part and then the service continued in the Church.

Among her interests is the Talking Newspaper and in recent years she is enjoying being able to listen to the talking books she receives from RNIB. The Library Service also calls once a month and her brings her CD books.

"Through my illness I was not able to listen to music," says Michelle, who in the last couple of years has found that it is getting easier for her when it comes to noise. She has been getting all the backdated 'Now Music' CDs and instead of telling people to turn music down, she is asking them to turn it up!

She also enjoyed attending a concert at the Ardhowen Theatre - and she was delighted to have the chance to meet singer Nathan Carter.

Her recent surprise 30th birthday celebrated on November 3, 2012 at the Mandarin restaurant in Enniskillen, organised by her carers, also proved a great night. Having "missed out" on so many birthdays, she disclosed: "Blowing out the candles made me weep."

With no memory of what happened prior to her illness, she has had a lot of catching up to do and she has been on a learning curve.

"I have had to learn everything from scratch," reveals Michelle, who referred to everything from swallowing to spelling.

Achieving these things are 'massive' developments for the young woman, who mentions that every day she is feeling stronger.

She believes there is no point asking the question why did this happen to her; "I am making the most of every day and I am trying to put the past behind me. The future is out there for me now."

She thanks her GP, Dr. Edward (Ted) Burke, whom she says is "always at the end of the phone. I could not ask for a better GP."

"It has been hard and without everyone I would not have got through it," feels Michelle, who is appreciative of all those who have been involved with her over the years, including carers, speech therapists, occupational therapists, doctors, district nurses, her dietitian and especially her mum and dad and brother David.

At the minute, Michelle is really enjoying herself. She knows she "could be a lot better and it is going to take time", but she is so pleased to be as well as she is. "There are times when it is frustrating but I have got to be patient."

Although she is still hoistlifted and totally dependant for all her care, she believes the future is looking bright and she mentions that "everyone comments on my smile". And if anyone inquires how she is doing, her reply is that she is "improving all the time".

"I just love getting into shops even though my eyesight is poor," she said, adding that "it's lovely hearing Christmas music in the shops." This is also the first year that she says she has been able to buy Christmas presents herself.

"For years, I did not like Christmas because I was not fit to enjoy it, now I am all out for it," smiles Michelle.

Comments

25 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

49-year-old pedestrian hospitalised after being knocked down

A 49-YEAR-OLD female pedestrian was taken to hospital on Wednesday suffering a suspected broken leg after she was knocked down by a car on the Cornagrade Road, Enniskillen.

24 Apr 2014 21:18

Beragh see off Lisbellaw to set up final date with Town

Stephen Browne proved to be the match winner for Beragh Swifts as they set up an Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup final meeting with Enniskillen Town United following a 2-0 win over Lisbellaw United at Ferney Park tonight Browne bagged both the second half goals that saw Beragh progress.

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Editorial Department

Churches come together to commemorate the sadness of Good Friday

The sadness and poignancy of Good Friday was commemorated by the congregations of The Graan and Rossorry Parish Church, who came together for “The Way of the Cross”.

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

Led (as in ‘Lad’)

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Villiers’ sums ‘don’t add up’

SINN Fein MLA Rosie McCorley used her Easter address in Fermanagh on Sunday to hit out at Secretary of State Theresa Villiers who last week said that any review into the past must have “proportionate focus on the wrongdoing of paramilitaries”.

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Editorial Department

Tamboran expect to drill a well in Ireland in June or July, report says

FRACKING company Tamboran’s Chief Executive Officer Joel Riddle has said that it expects to drill a well in Ireland in June or July.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Mass rule is ‘destroying the Orange Order’

A FERMANAGH Orangeman has spoken of how he has been on the verge of quitting the organisation over its “stupid rule” about members attending Catholic church services.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Criticism of those who wear ‘convict uniform to toast Queen’

THE deaths of prominent Republicans Jim Murphy and Patrick McManus have been remembered during commemorative events in Derrylin and Swanlinbar, organised by the 1916 Sean MacDiarmada society.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Kilkenny man is new manager at Lough Erne

Kilkenny-man Andrew Phelan has been appointed as General Manager of the Lough Erne Resort.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Shareholder claims that Glanbia made £10,000 offer at meeting

FIVEMILETOWN Co-operative Society shareholders have been offered £10,000 each from Glanbia, a shareholder has claimed.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Lily Dane

Quinton family dealt another blow with death of Christopher

The Quinton family has been dealt another tragic blow with the news this week of the unexpected death of Christopher Quinton whose passing is being met with shock and sadness in the community.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Rodney Edwards

Call for ban on GAA jerseys at universities debated

SINN Fein’s Phil Flanagan has discussed Jim Allister’s call for a ban on GAA jerseys from universities in Northern Ireland with the Employment and Learning Minister, Dr. Stephen Farry.

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

'Nanny, nanny... he's dead, dead'

The call no mother wants - read Ruby Brown's moving interview following the death of her son Richard in a motorbike accident

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

Collegiate given chance of 11th hour appeal to WELB

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School are to make an 11th hour appeal to members of the Western Education Library Board (WELB) not to sign off on a development proposal which would see it merge with Portora Royal next year.

24 Apr 2014 10:15

3,000-year-old bogwood sculptures installed at SWAH garden

BOGWOOD sculptures over 3,000 years old have been installed at the South West Acute Hospital (SWAH) garden.

24 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Way of the Cross: Congregations walk together on Good Friday.

24 Apr 2014 09:30 • Editorial Department

In today's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.