A wife, a mother and a widow in one year

Published: 21 Dec 2012 08:301 comment

A WEEK before the brutal murder of Louis Leonard 40 years ago, his widow says a local man walked into the butcher shop the 26-year-old owned in Derrylin and told him he would 'shoot his head off if he wasn't a law-abiding citizen'.

Betty Leonard, pictured with her family. Back from left, Daniel (grandson), Tony, (son), Louis, (grandson) and Paula, (daughter-in-law). Middle from left, Shauna and Dearbhla, (grand-daughters). Front from left, Cathair, (grandson) and Alannah, (grand-daughter).<<

Four decades later and Mr Leonard's grieving wife still believes this man had something to do with the shooting of her husband.

"I was a wife, a mother and a widow all in one year. I was convinced, and still am, that this particular person had something to do with the whole thing," said an emotional Betty Leonard, who has never got over the death of her "soul-mate".

"I think often about how different my life would have been had Louis lived because we had massive plans, and one of them was to have lots of children. I did intend to have a large family and that was denied to me. His plan was to open up several butcher shops, he was a born businessman and he had the tenacity and the motivation, the love of hard work, and all of that combined, and I think with me behind him he would have succeeded," she told The Impartial Reporter.

"He wasn't just my husband, he was my soul-mate and I suppose I didn't understand that term until in recent years. He used to phone me every day; we were just a pair."

On the night of December 15, Mrs Leonard saw her husband alive for the final time. After a shopping trip with her sister, she returned to the butcher's shop to help prepare for deliveries.

"It was 9pm when I got there. I remember two young fellas came in to chat Louis about football. I was trying to get parcels ready and one of them said: 'Are you not afraid about being robbed Louis?' And he lifted the knife and said: 'I have the tools and I know how to use them'. Those were his last words."

She recalls, with much anxiety, the moment a local man walked into the butcher's shop and threatened to shoot her husband days before. Believing the man had something to do with his death she sought a meeting with him a month after the murder.

"I asked the investigating officer to let me meet him; he brought him to my house and I asked him about it. And do you know he said to me? 'Worst things could happen... keep your chin up'. He then shook the hands of all my family and left. I can't remember anger being an emotion then, but I was grieving, it was beyond grief."

Following the murder, Mrs Leonard found it difficult to cope, having to bring up the couple's only son Tony, run the business and look after her ill mother.

"When I used to go to bed at night everything was nice and bright in my dreams. When I woke up everything was black -- reality had hit. I used to be driving along; I wasn't able to pray and I remember screaming to God; 'How can I keep going?'. I had to grow up very quickly. I was only 26 and I remember the clergyman asking me how I was and I said: 'I feel like an old woman'. I really did feel like 108 at that time. It was very difficult."

Mrs Leonard, who gets a lot of joy out of spending time with her grandchildren (pictured), says it is her and her family's "main aim" to keep calling for justice for Louis.

At the weekend, a number of events took place in Fermanagh. On Friday, a play entitled 'Troubled Conversations' was held in the Knocks Community hall. On Saturday, family and friends took part in a memorial walk in Derrylin, addressed by veteran civil rights campaigner and former council chairman, Paul Corrigan. Then an anniversary mass was held at St. Patrick's Church in Donagh with a speech afterwards by Peter Quinn, family friend and former president of the GAA. On Sunday, a short wreath laying ceremony was held at Louis' grave followed by the unveiling of a memorial plaque at the GAA grounds.

Comments

16 Apr 2014 17:00

Driver convicted of possession of drug after cannabis was found in car

The 32-year-old driver of a car from which there was a strong smell of cannabis has admitted unlawfully having the Class B drug.

16 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Comment - Shona Morrison - Feeling blue over the lack of support for autism awareness

Our wee county of Fermanagh has a great deal going for it right now.

16 Apr 2014 12:20

Police probe confrontation between cyclists and motorist

A man was reportedly assaulted during a confrontation between a motorist and a group of cyclists on the Sligo Road in Enniskillen.

16 Apr 2014 09:00

Local politicians meet Creamery officials to discuss closure

Ulster Unionist Assembly member for Fermanagh & South Tyrone, Tom Elliott MLA, and local Councillors, Robert Mulligan and Neil Somerville have met with the management of Fivemiletown Creamery to highlight their concerns over the closure of the creamery.

15 Apr 2014 22:00

Man took wife's car without permission

A 35-year-old man has been fined £425 and banned from driving for three months after he took his wife’s car without her permission.

15 Apr 2014 19:00

Police asking for your help with road safety through social media

Police in Fermanagh and other parts of F District are asking everyone who uses the roads to promote safety messages through social media over the next three Bank Holiday Mondays.

15 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Can’t stand the rain? Thank heavens for our water supply

In Fermanagh I don’t think there is anything that causes so much anger and frustration than the weather; specifically the abundance of rain.

15 Apr 2014 13:00

Hospital detention order against mentally ill man on attempted murder charge

A mentally ill man who bludgeoned his elderly uncle over the head with a hammer until he thought he was dead has been committed to hospital indefinitely.

15 Apr 2014 11:30

Don't forget to recycle your Easter egg packaging

Enjoying your chocolate egg but don't know what to do with the packaging?

15 Apr 2014 09:00

Homes evacuated in security alert in Fintona

POLICE are dealing with a security alert in Fintona, County Tyrone, after an incident in the early hours of this morning (Tuesday).

14 Apr 2014 22:00

Businessman failed to demolish apartments

A 44-year-old businessman has been fined £500 for failing to knock down a block of apartments that pose a danger to drivers.

14 Apr 2014 19:00

Council reminder to householders about risk of carbon monoxide poisoning

Fermanagh District Council is encouraging householders to have their heating appliances, which have been well used over the winter, serviced and chimneys cleaned to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in the home.

14 Apr 2014 16:00

Sentence deferred for six months against disorderly man

A 28-year-old man involved in a fight outside a pub claimed remarks had been made about his former partner.

14 Apr 2014 13:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Tourism businesses work harder to get visitors off the beaten track

Fermanagh tourism providers have to “work harder” because the county is “not the first choice destination.”

14 Apr 2014 11:00 • Brian Donaldson

Sam uncovers broken hearted grandmother’s letter after son’s Great War death

The mother of a soldier serving in the First World War, had to resort to writing for financial help after her son died as result of the appalling conditions right at the end of the War in November 1918.

14 Apr 2014 09:30 • Lily Dane

The positive attitude of the bride who developed same cancer as her brother

An inspirational young Fermanagh woman, Rachel Wilson (formerly Byers) was only married a matter of months when she was diagnosed with Hodgkin’s Lymphoma.

14 Apr 2014 08:21

Single mother stole from employer of over 11 years

A 28-year-old single mother who betrayed the trust of her employer of over 11 years by stealing from his shop has been given 200 hours of community service.

13 Apr 2014 16:00 • Editorial Department

Local players share the Bridge Congress spoils

When the competition hotted up at the 37th Annual Fermanagh Bridge Congress over the weekend, bridge playing talents from the county demonstrated they ‘can hold their own.’

13 Apr 2014 14:00 • Editorial Department

Restaurants celebrated at Awards

THE Watermill Lodge Restaurant, Lisnaskea scooped an awards treble at the Ulster Regional Finals of the Irish Restaurant Awards this week.

13 Apr 2014 12:30 • Editorial Department

Schools keep Marie Curie blooming

Marie Curie’s Great Daffodil Appeal was this year supported by over 12 local primary schools in the Clogher and Fermanagh areas.