Bomb threat MP feared for her four-year-old

Published: 7 Mar 2013 13:001 comment

FERMANAGH and South Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew has revealed that a number of bomb and death threats have been directed at her and her family during the last six months.

Fermanagh south Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew.

The Sinn Fein politician says the most recent threats concerning her have been issued to her parents in Tyrone.

But on Monday she was the target of a hoax bomb alert when a caller to the party's office in Dungannon claimed a device had been left outside her home. "The caller said: 'I hope she is in it when it explodes, this is not a joke'," Ms Gildernew told The Impartial Reporter.

The PSNI were contacted but after searching her home they found nothing.

Ms Gildernew, a mother-of-three, was attending an event in Coalisland at the time the call was made and said the threat coincided with her four-year-old daughter's return from play school.

"My concern was with her. If there was something there, I had to make sure she didn't walk into it. I was fearful that this wasn't a prank, that it wasn't a hoax. I couldn't get my husband on the phone, I phoned other members of the family to go and intercept him so he wouldn't trigger off anything in the house. With threats like this you never know if this is going to be the real one," she said.

The MP added: "This goes with the territory; other elected representatives have had bomb threats and homes attacked and you have to expect some of it. But to be honest, the person who has put my family through this is to be pitied; they need medial attention."

But several threats have been made in recent months, says Ms Gildernew, meaning Monday's bomb hoax was not an isolated incident.

"There have been a number of these threats directed at my parents about me, along with a number of bomb hoaxes at their home in the last six months. I worry about my parents and my children more than I worry about myself, but they won't put me off doing my job," she said.

In 2010, Ms Gildernew told this newspaper how she had received a spate of chilling death threats over a period of 12 months, with even her four-year-old son picking up the phone to a man claiming he had his mother and he was going to kill her.

"The first threat scared the life out of daddy and my mother. The man on the other end asked him if he was Michelle Gildernew's father. He said he was. The man said: 'We have Michelle and we have a Kalashnikov to her head and we're going to shoot her.' Daddy panicked. Then he couldn't get hold of me."

Last year, the politician spoke for the first time about her battle with depression and how being asked by her party to stand aside both as MLA in the assembly and as chairperson of the health committee had an impact on her mental health. She has revealed this week that she is now receiving treatment for her depression.

"I will try and not let what happened on Monday affect my mental health, you have to keep strong. I am getting counselling and it is doing me the world of good," she said.

Meanwhile, Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness has hit out at the person responsible for the hoax bomb alert against Ms Gildernew.

In a tweet to The Impartial Reporter, he said: "Michelle works hard for all. She is also brave unlike the cowardly person who sought to intimidate her and her family."

Comments

18 Apr 2014 19:00

'We have a big eight days ahead of us' - Anderson

By 5pm on Saturday April 26 all the decisions will be made in the Danske Bank Premiership and Championship One. The destination of the title will be decided and who is going down or which teams are facing a play off will be known.

18 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Enterprise Minister disagrees with keeping Aventas Group all locally owned

ENTERPRISE Minister Arlene Foster says she cannot support the view of local political representatives, including her DUP colleague Maurice Morrow, that the Aventas Group in Derrylin must remain exclusively locally owned.

18 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Tweets of the Week - did you make it?

Charlie Lawson @charlie_lawson1 I’m reliably informed that my alter ego and constant companion is to return, so he is. Must contact The Home Secretary to confirm.

18 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Foster vows to take school merger to the Assembly

“I am not powerless, I will fight this,” declares Stormont Minister Arlene Foster as she reflects on the fall-out over the proposal by the Western Education and Library Board to amalgamate Portora Royal School with Collegiate Grammar School.

18 Apr 2014 11:00 • Lily Dane

Those were the days: Miss Derryclavin Selected

This image “Miss Derryclavin” Selected was featured in The Impartial Reporter on April 16, 1964.

18 Apr 2014 08:30

Depression is an illness, mourners told at Kenny Andrews funeral

MOURNERS at the funeral of Brookeborough man Kenneth Andrews who died unexpectedly last week were told that the 47-year-old had been fighting a private battle with depression.

17 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

‘I’m not half well’

17 Apr 2014 18:06 • Rodney Edwards

Would-be Unionist politician admits Catholic Facebook question was 'badly worded'

A would-be politician seeking a seat in the new Fermanagh and Omagh Council for the Ulster Unionist Party has defended himself for a second time following comments he made on Facebook.

17 Apr 2014 17:01

Fermanagh's 'different breed' that sets the Orange Standard

Let me get the amateur sociology out of the way first: ‘Out-group homogeneity’. It describes a bias that any group of people are prone to have.

17 Apr 2014 16:30

Why are you 'punishing a good school'?

The proposed Development Proposal to close both Enniskillen Collegiate School and Portora Royal School and open a new school on a split site, will go before the members of the Western Education and Library Board on May 8 for approval.

17 Apr 2014 15:57

Meeting exposed WELB's 'weak process and weak argument' says Collegiate head

THE Collegiate Grammar School’s consultation meeting on its proposed amalgamation with Portora Royal exposed the Western Education Library Board’s (WELB) “weak process and weak argument”, according to principal, Elizabeth Armstrong.

17 Apr 2014 15:14

Collegiate parents walk out after rudeness of WELB official

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School have accused Western Education Library Board (WELB) officials of hiding their personal vested interest in a proposal that would see the school merge with Portora Royal next year.

17 Apr 2014 14:29 • Meadhbh Monahan

Angry homeowners duped by rogue driveway worker caled Roadstone

HOMEOWNERS in Enniskillen are “disgusted” with workmen who took hundreds of pounds for cleaning their driveways, but never finished the job.

17 Apr 2014 14:06

Enniskillen by-pass could start in four years says Minister

WORK on the long-awaited Southern by-pass of Enniskillen could start in four years’ time but only if the millions needed for the scheme can be found, Regional Development Minister Danny Kennedy has said.

17 Apr 2014 13:11

No referendum on fracking at Council elections

Fermanagh District Council is unlikely to hold a fracking referendum after legal advice has recommended against it.

17 Apr 2014 13:01

Woman who tried to give man love bite guilty of sexual assault

A 47-year-old woman has been convicted of sexually assaulting a young man after she allegedly “forced” herself on him, grabbing him by the bum and telling him she loved him.

17 Apr 2014 11:45

St. Patrick's Day crash led driver to court

A 42-year-old driver who failed to stop after crashing into a car on a bridge on St. Patrick’s Day was three times the legal alcohol limit.

17 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Clerics attend Queen’s banquet: Praise for their cross-community work

17 Apr 2014 09:48

Sharpe names Premier 18 for Milk Cup

Fermanagh Premier Milk Cup manager Derek Sharpe has named his 18 man squad for this summer's competition.

17 Apr 2014 09:15

Men arrested in connection with security alert charged with theft

THE two men arrested in connection with a security alert in Fintona on Tuesday this week have been charged with Theft and Going Equipped for Theft