Bomb threat MP feared for her four-year-old

Published: 7 Mar 2013 13:001 comment

FERMANAGH and South Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew has revealed that a number of bomb and death threats have been directed at her and her family during the last six months.

Fermanagh south Tyrone MP Michelle Gildernew.

The Sinn Fein politician says the most recent threats concerning her have been issued to her parents in Tyrone.

But on Monday she was the target of a hoax bomb alert when a caller to the party's office in Dungannon claimed a device had been left outside her home. "The caller said: 'I hope she is in it when it explodes, this is not a joke'," Ms Gildernew told The Impartial Reporter.

The PSNI were contacted but after searching her home they found nothing.

Ms Gildernew, a mother-of-three, was attending an event in Coalisland at the time the call was made and said the threat coincided with her four-year-old daughter's return from play school.

"My concern was with her. If there was something there, I had to make sure she didn't walk into it. I was fearful that this wasn't a prank, that it wasn't a hoax. I couldn't get my husband on the phone, I phoned other members of the family to go and intercept him so he wouldn't trigger off anything in the house. With threats like this you never know if this is going to be the real one," she said.

The MP added: "This goes with the territory; other elected representatives have had bomb threats and homes attacked and you have to expect some of it. But to be honest, the person who has put my family through this is to be pitied; they need medial attention."

But several threats have been made in recent months, says Ms Gildernew, meaning Monday's bomb hoax was not an isolated incident.

"There have been a number of these threats directed at my parents about me, along with a number of bomb hoaxes at their home in the last six months. I worry about my parents and my children more than I worry about myself, but they won't put me off doing my job," she said.

In 2010, Ms Gildernew told this newspaper how she had received a spate of chilling death threats over a period of 12 months, with even her four-year-old son picking up the phone to a man claiming he had his mother and he was going to kill her.

"The first threat scared the life out of daddy and my mother. The man on the other end asked him if he was Michelle Gildernew's father. He said he was. The man said: 'We have Michelle and we have a Kalashnikov to her head and we're going to shoot her.' Daddy panicked. Then he couldn't get hold of me."

Last year, the politician spoke for the first time about her battle with depression and how being asked by her party to stand aside both as MLA in the assembly and as chairperson of the health committee had an impact on her mental health. She has revealed this week that she is now receiving treatment for her depression.

"I will try and not let what happened on Monday affect my mental health, you have to keep strong. I am getting counselling and it is doing me the world of good," she said.

Meanwhile, Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness has hit out at the person responsible for the hoax bomb alert against Ms Gildernew.

In a tweet to The Impartial Reporter, he said: "Michelle works hard for all. She is also brave unlike the cowardly person who sought to intimidate her and her family."

Comments

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Lily Dane

Quinton family dealt another blow with death of Christopher

The Quinton family has been dealt another tragic blow with the news this week of the unexpected death of Christopher Quinton whose passing is being met with shock and sadness in the community.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Rodney Edwards

Call for ban on GAA jerseys at universities debated

SINN Fein’s Phil Flanagan has discussed Jim Allister’s call for a ban on GAA jerseys from universities in Northern Ireland with the Employment and Learning Minister, Dr. Stephen Farry.

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

'Nanny, nanny... he's dead, dead'

The call no mother wants - read Ruby Brown's moving interview following the death of her son Richard in a motorbike accident

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

Collegiate given chance of 11th hour appeal to WELB

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School are to make an 11th hour appeal to members of the Western Education Library Board (WELB) not to sign off on a development proposal which would see it merge with Portora Royal next year.

24 Apr 2014 10:15

3,000-year-old bogwood sculptures installed at SWAH garden

BOGWOOD sculptures over 3,000 years old have been installed at the South West Acute Hospital (SWAH) garden.

24 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Way of the Cross: Congregations walk together on Good Friday.

24 Apr 2014 09:30 • Editorial Department

In today's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.