DUP politician reiterates claims against Brimstone

Published: 11 Jul 2013 20:27

THE DUP politician at the centre of a major political row surrounding public service contracts and an alleged conversation between herself and Nelson McCausland's Fermanagh-born special advisor has come out fighting following last week's Spotlight programme.

Jenny Palmer claimed she was put under pressure by Stephen Brimstone, who is originally from Kesh, to change a board vote in relation to the Red Sky maintenance company, a contract that was terminated in 2011 following claims of financial irregularities and substandard work.

Speaking to The Impartial Reporter, Ms Palmer, a Housing Executive board member, said: "I stand by every word I said because I told the truth."

The Lisburn councillor claimed in last week's programme that prior to the termination of the contract the brother-in-law of Enniskillen DUP Councillor Alison Brimstone telephoned her asking her to change her vote to terminate Red Sky's contract.

On BBC Spotlight, Ms Palmer recalled the conversation she had with Mr Brimstone two years ago: "He told me that he needed me to go against the decision of the board... I said I do not think I can do that. I went into shock. He said 'the party comes first. You do what you're told'. Otherwise there is no point in [you] being on the board, if I wasn't prepared to do what they asked me to do."

Ms Palmer says she stands by her claims and is considering accepting party leader Peter Robinson's invite to meet and discuss the allegations.

"Things are in a difficult place at the moment but I stand by every single word I said. It is the truth and in relation to meeting with Mr Robinson I am considering it," she told The Impartial Reporter.

She says she has been receiving support from across Northern Ireland from her party colleagues and added: "Obviously there is a restriction on terms of who can say what in the party. The support that my MP and Edwin Poots [DUP Health Minister] is giving me is helping me to keep my head up. Have I been tearful? Yes. I have absolutely nothing to hide; I know I am right; I know I am 100 per cent."

The Impartial Reporter attempted to contact Mr Brimstone in relation to the claims by Ms Palmer but was unsuccessful.

However, he did write to Spotlight last week to say he did not accept the accuracy of the account of events given in the programme.

24 Apr 2014 10:15

3,000-year-old bogwood scultpures installed at SWAH garden

BOGWOOD sculptures over 3,000 years old have been installed at the South West Acute Hospital (SWAH) garden.

24 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Way of the Cross: Congregations walk together on Good Friday.

23 Apr 2014 22:30 • Editorial Department

In tomorrow's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.

23 Apr 2014 11:30

Radio DJ includes Fermanagh stop in marathon challenge for charity

A radio DJ will bring her fundraising marathon challenge to Fermanagh this June in aid of Cancer Research UK.

23 Apr 2014 09:30

Arsonists responsible for 15 gorse fires since beginning of April

Arsonists are being blamed for starting around 15 gorse fires in the Garrison and Belcoo area since the beginning of April.

22 Apr 2014 17:00

Mallards slip into bottom two

Ballinamallard United slipped into the bottom two in the Danske Bank Premiership on goal difference following today's 2-2 draw with Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

22 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Opinion - Kylie Noble - Why I’m excited to vote for the first time

The rites of passage of growing up vary from person to person but throughout my own life events such as turning 13, my first formal, my GCSE and A level results, my 18th birthday (and my first and to date only hangover that followed), getting into university and moving away from home are just a few which I imagine are pretty common landmarks among my generation.

22 Apr 2014 15:00

Rucksacks stolen in car break-in

A car was broken into at Navar Forest near Derrygonnelly last night (Monday).

22 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Farm Watch designed to prevent rural crime - O'Neill

FARMERS in Fermanagh are being encouraged by the College of Agriculture, Food and Rural Enterprise (CAFRE) in Enniskillen to take part in the Farm Watch Scheme, an initiative endorsed by Agriculture Minister Michelle O’Neill.

22 Apr 2014 12:00

Lisnaskea home attacked

A house in Lisnaskea has been attacked.

22 Apr 2014 11:00 • Rodney Edwards

Stormont Files: Litter droppers approach MLA to quash £75 fine

A NUMBER of people in Fermanagh have been fined £75 for “dropping a cigarette butt or a sweet paper” on the street, according to UUP MLA Tom Elliott.

22 Apr 2014 09:00

Motorist knew insurance shown to police had been cancelled

A 47-year-old factory worker has admitted fraudulently using a certificate of car insurance by showing it to the police, knowing it had been cancelled.

21 Apr 2014 22:30

Man(20) took father's car without consent

A 20-year-old man thought he was being “sensible” when he got behind the wheel of a crashed car to drive it home.

21 Apr 2014 19:00

Jail sentence for driver caught without insurance four times in two weeks

A 30-year-old car dealer caught driving without insurance four times in two weeks despite paying out £3,500 in premiums has been given a jail sentence.

21 Apr 2014 17:30

Number out of work in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent in March

Unemployment in Fermanagh fell by 2.4 per cent last month.

21 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Steering a safe path of expansion through the downturn

Liam Connolly Road Freight (LCRF) provides groupage services (i.e. from single pallet collections to full double-deck trailer collections) for over 300 customers throughout Ireland and the UK each day.

21 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

Irish President is latest to commend work of Enniskillen church leaders

THE work of Enniskillen’s two main church leaders, the Very Rev. Kenneth Hall and Monsignor Peter O’Reilly, has received a warm acknowledgement from yet another head of state.