DUP politician reiterates claims against Brimstone

Published: 11 Jul 2013 20:27

THE DUP politician at the centre of a major political row surrounding public service contracts and an alleged conversation between herself and Nelson McCausland's Fermanagh-born special advisor has come out fighting following last week's Spotlight programme.

Jenny Palmer claimed she was put under pressure by Stephen Brimstone, who is originally from Kesh, to change a board vote in relation to the Red Sky maintenance company, a contract that was terminated in 2011 following claims of financial irregularities and substandard work.

Speaking to The Impartial Reporter, Ms Palmer, a Housing Executive board member, said: "I stand by every word I said because I told the truth."

The Lisburn councillor claimed in last week's programme that prior to the termination of the contract the brother-in-law of Enniskillen DUP Councillor Alison Brimstone telephoned her asking her to change her vote to terminate Red Sky's contract.

On BBC Spotlight, Ms Palmer recalled the conversation she had with Mr Brimstone two years ago: "He told me that he needed me to go against the decision of the board... I said I do not think I can do that. I went into shock. He said 'the party comes first. You do what you're told'. Otherwise there is no point in [you] being on the board, if I wasn't prepared to do what they asked me to do."

Ms Palmer says she stands by her claims and is considering accepting party leader Peter Robinson's invite to meet and discuss the allegations.

"Things are in a difficult place at the moment but I stand by every single word I said. It is the truth and in relation to meeting with Mr Robinson I am considering it," she told The Impartial Reporter.

She says she has been receiving support from across Northern Ireland from her party colleagues and added: "Obviously there is a restriction on terms of who can say what in the party. The support that my MP and Edwin Poots [DUP Health Minister] is giving me is helping me to keep my head up. Have I been tearful? Yes. I have absolutely nothing to hide; I know I am right; I know I am 100 per cent."

The Impartial Reporter attempted to contact Mr Brimstone in relation to the claims by Ms Palmer but was unsuccessful.

However, he did write to Spotlight last week to say he did not accept the accuracy of the account of events given in the programme.

25 Apr 2014 09:00 • Editorial Department

49-year-old pedestrian hospitalised after being knocked down

A 49-YEAR-OLD female pedestrian was taken to hospital on Wednesday suffering a suspected broken leg after she was knocked down by a car on the Cornagrade Road, Enniskillen.

24 Apr 2014 21:18

Beragh see off Lisbellaw to set up final date with Town

Stephen Browne proved to be the match winner for Beragh Swifts as they set up an Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup final meeting with Enniskillen Town United following a 2-0 win over Lisbellaw United at Ferney Park tonight Browne bagged both the second half goals that saw Beragh progress.

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Editorial Department

Churches come together to commemorate the sadness of Good Friday

The sadness and poignancy of Good Friday was commemorated by the congregations of The Graan and Rossorry Parish Church, who came together for “The Way of the Cross”.

24 Apr 2014 19:00 • Rodney Edwards

#fermanaghspake This Week is...

Led (as in ‘Lad’)

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Rodney Edwards

Villiers’ sums ‘don’t add up’

SINN Fein MLA Rosie McCorley used her Easter address in Fermanagh on Sunday to hit out at Secretary of State Theresa Villiers who last week said that any review into the past must have “proportionate focus on the wrongdoing of paramilitaries”.

24 Apr 2014 17:00 • Editorial Department

Tamboran expect to drill a well in Ireland in June or July, report says

FRACKING company Tamboran’s Chief Executive Officer Joel Riddle has said that it expects to drill a well in Ireland in June or July.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Mass rule is ‘destroying the Orange Order’

A FERMANAGH Orangeman has spoken of how he has been on the verge of quitting the organisation over its “stupid rule” about members attending Catholic church services.

24 Apr 2014 16:00 • Rodney Edwards

Criticism of those who wear ‘convict uniform to toast Queen’

THE deaths of prominent Republicans Jim Murphy and Patrick McManus have been remembered during commemorative events in Derrylin and Swanlinbar, organised by the 1916 Sean MacDiarmada society.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Editorial Department

Kilkenny man is new manager at Lough Erne

Kilkenny-man Andrew Phelan has been appointed as General Manager of the Lough Erne Resort.

24 Apr 2014 15:00 • Meadhbh Monahan

Shareholder claims that Glanbia made £10,000 offer at meeting

FIVEMILETOWN Co-operative Society shareholders have been offered £10,000 each from Glanbia, a shareholder has claimed.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Lily Dane

Quinton family dealt another blow with death of Christopher

The Quinton family has been dealt another tragic blow with the news this week of the unexpected death of Christopher Quinton whose passing is being met with shock and sadness in the community.

24 Apr 2014 14:00 • Rodney Edwards

Call for ban on GAA jerseys at universities debated

SINN Fein’s Phil Flanagan has discussed Jim Allister’s call for a ban on GAA jerseys from universities in Northern Ireland with the Employment and Learning Minister, Dr. Stephen Farry.

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Rodney Edwards

'Nanny, nanny... he's dead, dead'

The call no mother wants - read Ruby Brown's moving interview following the death of her son Richard in a motorbike accident

24 Apr 2014 13:00 • Julie Kenwell

Collegiate given chance of 11th hour appeal to WELB

PARENTS of Collegiate Grammar School are to make an 11th hour appeal to members of the Western Education Library Board (WELB) not to sign off on a development proposal which would see it merge with Portora Royal next year.

24 Apr 2014 10:15

3,000-year-old bogwood sculptures installed at SWAH garden

BOGWOOD sculptures over 3,000 years old have been installed at the South West Acute Hospital (SWAH) garden.

24 Apr 2014 10:00 • Editorial Department

Inside today's paper

Way of the Cross: Congregations walk together on Good Friday.

24 Apr 2014 09:30 • Editorial Department

In today's Impartial Reporter:

The phone call no mother wants as Ruby Brown tells of the moment she learned of the death of son Richard in a motorbike accident. Read her in-depth and moving interview.

23 Apr 2014 21:30

Late Breen strike sends Town into final

Enniskillen Town Utd came from a goal down to book their place in the final of the Impartial Reporter Mulhern Cup with a 2-1 win over Kesh at Ferney Park tonight.

23 Apr 2014 15:35

Car stolen in "creeper burglary"

A car was stolen during a so-called “creeper burglary” at Raceview Court near the Cornagrade Road in Enniskillen.

23 Apr 2014 13:15

Castle Archdale hosts Dawn Chorus event

LOCAL people are invited to meet at Castle Archdale at 5am on Saturday, May 3, to listen to the birds welcome the new day in fine voice.