What of the future for the town I love so well

Published: 8 Nov 2012 09:300 comments

When you are writing a column like this, it can often be difficult to choose a subject; or even find a subject in the first place.

This week, though, I am drawn inexorably to one. Enniskillen, my home town.

I was born in Riverside, Cornagrade -- obviously at a time when the estate was relatively new! Apart from a couple of brief spells living elsewhere to study etc., I've lived here most of my years so far.

So I think I can safely say this really is the town I love so well.

I often quote the REM song, "Stand" which urges us to "Stand in the place where you live" and says:

"Think about the place where you live,

Wonder why you haven't before."

I often think about this place, and feel proud when I'm somewhere else and tell them where I'm from.

If you look at the magnificent aerial photographs on pages 44 and 45 of this week's newspaper, taken by Pat Lunny, you will see a beautiful town in a spectacularly scenic setting. Sometimes, you don't appreciate what is on our your own doorstep, but with the backdrop of the Erne, the Castle at one end, Forthill Park at the other, Portora, Castle Coole being other landmarks around the edge of town you cannot wish for a better looking town.

The centre itself, with its winding streets forming a continuous thoroughfare, dotted with vista stops and a rich mixture of local business and historic sites is a real joy.

We don't sing the praises of Enniskillen enough, and I have to say the series of articles written for this newspaper a couple of years ago by Catherine Scott brought much of our history to life.

As beautiful as Enniskillen looks, however, the real jewel for me as a "townie" is the people.

I've been reading through the third book in the series "Enniskillen In the Rare Ould Times" produced by The Millennium Babes. The people writing stories about the Enniskillen of the past certainly evoked memories of a town years ago for me.

But looking through the photos of great people that I knew and are no longer with us, was real nostalgia.

Great place, great people.

It seems, therefore, particularly incongruous that the events that took place on this day 25 years ago were visited on Enniskillen.

Nobody anywhere deserves to have such an evil act perpetrated on them. Wrecklessly planting a bomb which was designed to go off when ordinary decent townspeople were solemnly remembering and honouring their war dead can surely serve no cause.

Least of all a place such as Enniskillen, where even in the darkest days of the Troubles, people on both sides continued to have a friendly rapprochement.

But happen it did and many lives were taken and many more wrecked and changed forever.

This week has been a time of great reflection for many of us.

Of course, many young people of a new generation barely remember it, or indeed remember any of the Troubles in the rest of Northern Ireland.

Perhaps even for those of us from older generations, the passage and distance of time has softened the horror of what it was really like. Anniversaries such as this, and the stories of people still suffering should bring a sharp reminder, however.

Violence still continues, as we have seen even within the last week.

It is futile to try to appeal to the people still killing; but as a society, we don't have to look back too far to see that if people continue on the path of violence that it can get worse and worse and end up with terrible, horrible atrocities such as committed in Enniskillen on November 8,1987.

Our politicians are much-maligned. Of course they are because we're often unhappy with the way they perform. They could do more for places like Fermanagh, in terms of the economy, jobs and infrastructure. We need a by-pass for goodness sake!

But when it comes to making an accommodation which excludes the men of violence, our political parties stood up to be counted and are working together.

The peace isn't perfect. Neither is the political process. But it is an awful lot better than it was in 1987.

As regards Enniskillen itself, it has changed dramatically in appearance in the last 25 years.

It is a thriving town, fighting hard to overcome the harsh economic situation.

But our spirit has survived. We responded with dignity in 1987, and today is a reminder that a positive attitude and the indomitable human spirit can continue to take us forward to a better future for all our children.

Comments

Get more stories from our Blogs section

27 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

A luxury car, beer or bingo; it’s your choice

I’ve been flicking through the glossy car brochures and haven’t quite made up my mind yet. What do you think? Should I go for a Lamborghini or a Porsche?

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

In the internet era, does the Unionist computer still say no?

I must admit a couple of stories last week gave me more than a little scare. Firstly, we were reminded that it was the 25th anniversary of the internet. 25 years?

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Maybe it’s the politicians who should be on the run

My 16-year-old daughter is facing some choices at the moment; choices which will affect her long-term future. As she prepares to sit her GCSEs in the next few months, meetings are being held to decide which A levels she will study over the next couple of years.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What are you doing Sunday, baby?

The American singer Tony Orlando released a song in the early 70s called “What Are You Doing Sunday (Baby)”; it was a time, you might think, when activities on the Sabbath were a little different in Northern Ireland. Few shops open, no pubs and hardly anywhere to find something to eat.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

The classic “Pulp Fiction” is a pretty bloodthirsty film, as you might expect from Quentin Tarantino, and the violent characters include mobster’s hitman Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

13 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are the authorities talking when they should be listening?

How are you? Ach, sure there’s no point complaining. Nobody listens anyway!

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

If we can’t see the past clearly, what is our vision of the future?

Here are a couple of lines from a song: “I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.” Which song?

30 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Religion, what’s that all about?

According to the dictionary, to blaspheme means “to speak irreverently about God or sacred things”, coming from the Greek word meaning “evil speaking”. This, according to fundamental evangelical Protestants is what Catholics do to God when they attend Mass.

23 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Has the doc perished on the sword of his own ego?

Like many people, for years I thought that Ian Paisley wasn’t just the leader of the DUP. He WAS the DUP.

5 Dec 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Who are you trying to kid?

The late John Sullivan, who wrote “Only Fools and Horses” was a superb comedy writer. Often, his scripts weren’t just funny, but touched a chord with the realities of life.

28 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The easy way or the hard way; or the right way?

I read this tweet this week: “There are only two ways to do anything. Do the hard thing first and then life will be easy. Take the easy way first and life will be hard.”

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

I’m not going away, you know!

Apparently when men have a night out, they enjoy conversation by insulting each other. But they don’t really mean it.

14 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What type of people remember?

The latest series of Downton Abbey has been very disappointing and it fizzled out with a poor finale on Sunday night. Everything has its day, I suppose, and we move on to something else.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Can society face up to hard truth of a troubled past?

We’ve all got a past, haven’t we?

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Do you need to read such filth?

Presumably before you headed out this morning, you took a quick glance in the mirror.

24 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are you a waster?

It’s Halloween next week, when minds should be focused on school half-term, the clocks going back and plans to watch the wonderful fireworks display that the Council puts on every year.

10 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

How do we move forward while hurt is still raw?

If you are one of the few people who does not watch “Downton Abbey”, let me explain that it is a television series about how an aristocratic family lived in the early part of the last century.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The truth is out there; finding it is sometimes the problem

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Did you ever get that old advice? And no doubt you think it’s good advice.

26 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Is it not all right to sell land to the ‘other side’

I’m sure you’re familiar with John B Keane’s story “The Field” which was made into a marvellous film starring Richard Harris as “Bull” McCabe.