Testing time, but it's our politicians who fail

Published: 22 Nov 2012 09:300 comments

I always enjoy those "real life" quotations, for example some the things people write on insurance claim forms.

Or actual answers from exam papers, such as those below.

Q. What is a seizure?

A. A Roman Emperor.

Q. What does the word 'benign' mean?

A. Benign is what you will be after you be eight.

Q. What is a turbine?

A. Something an Arab or Shreik wears on his head.

Hopefully, all the hundreds of pupils in Fermanagh sitting the transfer tests this month will have a clearer idea of how to answer their questions.

It has been a tough time for them, very stressful. Not to mention their parents.

It's time, don't you think, that our politicians and educationalists got their act together and put the children and their families centre stage in the debate.

Ramming their ideologies and dogma down our throats, and everybody else's throat, has got us into another fine mess, as Laurel and Hardy would say.

With all the major issues we face in re-shaping our education system fit for a competitive 21st century, it does seem to me that we have got bogged down on the single issue: to select or not select in a test at age 11.

I watched an interesting discussion on BBC television at the week-end, with four people representing varying viewpoints. Education Minister, John O'Dowd stood firm on the decision of abolishing the 11-plus, Also taking part was Sir Ken Bloomfield, from the Association for Quality Education which is behind the selection process.

And two people with the inside track, Adeline Dinsmore, former principal of Ashfield Girls, a firm proponent of non-selection, as well as David Lambon, principal of St. Malachy's College in Belfast, whose school conducted selection tests last Saturday.

It was a lively discussion, and strangely I found myself agreeing with bits of what all of them said.

So, I finished thinking of the Johnny Nash song: "There are more questions than answers,

And the more I find out the less I know."

We heard John O'Dowd insist that there is no need for academic selection in a modern education system, and that we never consider the children NOT doing the test.

Sir Ken countered that if the mantra of parental choice meant anything, the polls showed that the majority in Northern Ireland want selection. And with 7,000 sitting the tests this year, (64 per cent of P7 pupils), parents were voting with their feet.

Adeline Dinsmore spoke of her experience of pupils not selected having their self-esteem in tatters, yet they later go on to achieve in life in all sorts of ways.

David Lambon said we should look at how schools are set up, rather than simply selection. His school, while operating within the framework of the common curriculum, focuses very much on the academic subjects in sixth form, for example.

Personally, I was convinced by the argument that our education system should be diverse with room for a range of schools, including Irish medium, integrated, non-selective and even a return to vocational education.

And, of course, grammar schools focusing on academic excellence.

For many years, aspects of the education system have let down too many of our children.

But we do not serve them well by cracking down on those that have done well, either.

Last Saturday, my youngest boy, aged 11 sat the test at Portora Royal School. HE has decided he wants to go there, and I believe it is a school that would suit him well, so it was our considered choice to put him through the test.

But I know, too, that if he doesn't get a place, there are other fine schools where he will flourish.

Even though I am uncomfortable with the idea of training towards exams instead of educating the child; and I do have reservations about a system which give a perception of failure to some at age 11.

The Minister, John O'Dowd, I find usually to be a good performer in debates on television. But in this one, I thought he got a bit rattled and starting talking people down.

His aim, he said, was to convince parents that there was no need for selection. But, I doubt he managed on this occasion to convince many of the 7,000 sets of parents who put their children through the test this year.

His starting point seems to be the abolition of testing and then sort out the system of education. But that seems to me a bit like having your pud first and main course afterwards.

Why not revolutionise the system of education and make the need for testing redundant?

Adeline Dinsmore got it right when she said this: "What we need is for our political leaders to take a lead and set out visionary policies and practices to take us somewhere different to where we are at the minute, which is not a good place."

Catriona Ruane's tenure of the Department of Education was, in my opinion, a disastrous one.

But even four years after the abolition of the 11-plus, we appear no closer to a way out of this mess.

The Johnny Nash song I referred to earlier, "More Questions than Answers" came from his album entitled: "I Can See Clearly Now."

Frankly, most of us can't.

Pardon the use of the terms, but when it comes to the test, all our politicians are failing our children.

Comments

Get more stories from our Blogs section

27 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

A luxury car, beer or bingo; it’s your choice

I’ve been flicking through the glossy car brochures and haven’t quite made up my mind yet. What do you think? Should I go for a Lamborghini or a Porsche?

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

In the internet era, does the Unionist computer still say no?

I must admit a couple of stories last week gave me more than a little scare. Firstly, we were reminded that it was the 25th anniversary of the internet. 25 years?

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Maybe it’s the politicians who should be on the run

My 16-year-old daughter is facing some choices at the moment; choices which will affect her long-term future. As she prepares to sit her GCSEs in the next few months, meetings are being held to decide which A levels she will study over the next couple of years.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What are you doing Sunday, baby?

The American singer Tony Orlando released a song in the early 70s called “What Are You Doing Sunday (Baby)”; it was a time, you might think, when activities on the Sabbath were a little different in Northern Ireland. Few shops open, no pubs and hardly anywhere to find something to eat.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

The classic “Pulp Fiction” is a pretty bloodthirsty film, as you might expect from Quentin Tarantino, and the violent characters include mobster’s hitman Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

13 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are the authorities talking when they should be listening?

How are you? Ach, sure there’s no point complaining. Nobody listens anyway!

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

If we can’t see the past clearly, what is our vision of the future?

Here are a couple of lines from a song: “I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.” Which song?

30 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Religion, what’s that all about?

According to the dictionary, to blaspheme means “to speak irreverently about God or sacred things”, coming from the Greek word meaning “evil speaking”. This, according to fundamental evangelical Protestants is what Catholics do to God when they attend Mass.

23 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Has the doc perished on the sword of his own ego?

Like many people, for years I thought that Ian Paisley wasn’t just the leader of the DUP. He WAS the DUP.

5 Dec 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Who are you trying to kid?

The late John Sullivan, who wrote “Only Fools and Horses” was a superb comedy writer. Often, his scripts weren’t just funny, but touched a chord with the realities of life.

28 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The easy way or the hard way; or the right way?

I read this tweet this week: “There are only two ways to do anything. Do the hard thing first and then life will be easy. Take the easy way first and life will be hard.”

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

I’m not going away, you know!

Apparently when men have a night out, they enjoy conversation by insulting each other. But they don’t really mean it.

14 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What type of people remember?

The latest series of Downton Abbey has been very disappointing and it fizzled out with a poor finale on Sunday night. Everything has its day, I suppose, and we move on to something else.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Can society face up to hard truth of a troubled past?

We’ve all got a past, haven’t we?

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Do you need to read such filth?

Presumably before you headed out this morning, you took a quick glance in the mirror.

24 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are you a waster?

It’s Halloween next week, when minds should be focused on school half-term, the clocks going back and plans to watch the wonderful fireworks display that the Council puts on every year.

10 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

How do we move forward while hurt is still raw?

If you are one of the few people who does not watch “Downton Abbey”, let me explain that it is a television series about how an aristocratic family lived in the early part of the last century.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The truth is out there; finding it is sometimes the problem

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Did you ever get that old advice? And no doubt you think it’s good advice.

26 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Is it not all right to sell land to the ‘other side’

I’m sure you’re familiar with John B Keane’s story “The Field” which was made into a marvellous film starring Richard Harris as “Bull” McCabe.