And so this is Christmas...

Published: 20 Dec 2012 09:300 comments

And the pope believes we should have neither an ox nor an ass in the crib.

Wonderful to see that he has the church so well sorted that he is down to these fine details.

I heard that they have cancelled the nativity play in the Daíl because

they couldn't find a virgin. Couldn't find a holy Joe. Found a lot of stripped cows and no God's amount of asses. Plenty of frankincense and myrrh, but not an ounce of gold. No one even bothered to look for a wise man!

As for a flag, there was none over the stable but there was a star and if we all craned our necks a little higher than the flagpole we would find that stars shine on us all and not one of us can lay claim to any of them.

This next piece I wrote on Christmas day last year. That is two weeks after I quit writing for this paper telling the editor that I had said all that I wanted and was retiring. He believed me….and so did I. On Christmas night I wrote this story. It had to be told as you couldn't make it up.

Christmas 2012.

I had been living away from the family home over six months and had not decided where I would be celebrating Christmas. Roisin called and asked if she came to Foxford could she have the car on Christmas evening to go visit her Dad. Jarlath being more direct and not wanting to leave his friends said, 'Mam why don't you come to Castlerea. It will probably be our last one there together. Roisin will be in New York for the next one and I hope to be in Australia.'

That settled it. I didn't really care where we were as long as we were together and I knew Mam and Dad would be delighted. They had been coming to me every Christmas since I separated but, had missed the last two when the weather was bad. The fact was my mother couldn't get her head around passing Castlerea. They had been visiting me there for nearly twenty five years and she didn't want to go another forty miles. I tried to explain that it was not that difficult to get to Foxford but she was having none of it. The truth was they loved going to Mass in Castlerea where all the neighbours would meet afterwards for Irish coffees, teas and cakes before going home to make the dinner.

This year the weather couldn't have been more different than last as I drove the forty miles in sunshine two days before Christmas. Isn't it funny how you cannot remember how bad the weather has been as soon as the sun shines?

Dad and Mam was arriving from Fermanagh the next morning and Roisin from Dublin. Jarlath was already down from Galway and was staying next door with his father. I had called him the day before and said,

'Go over to the house and open all the windows. Let in a bit of air and clean up any mess you left over the summer.'

He had stayed there when he was off college. I'm sure half the town did too. I didn't care as I was no longer the housekeeper. I had stayed a few nights with him but decided I no longer belonged there when the door bell rang a few different times; when I opened it they would look at me as if to say, 'Who the hell are you?'

When he headed back to college in September he had said, 'No, I am not moving in with Dad, I am staying in our house' but I knew when it got cold he would have no choice but to ask for a bed in the warm house next door. He had. There had been no heat in the house for over six months so I called the oil company and asked them to put in enough to see us through the Christmas. They had, so I was happy driving up to put on the heat and finish the cleaning.

I arrived at the house and could not believe what I walked into. I had never seen anything like it. There was water running off the walls, the floors were wet and, there was even water running down the doors. 'What the hell is going on', I thought. How in God's name will I get this sorted before Dad and Mam arrive in the morning?

It was not a leak. It was condensation! Believe it or not the hot air from outside on the 22nd December had hit the cold walls, floors and doors inside and caused the problem. I could have cried but there was not much point. I have always been great in a crisis, so I set to work on heating and drying out the house. I had tried to dry the walls with a towel but it was impossible.

The heat was blasting but this was just causing more condensation. I called a friend and asked if she had a dehumidifier to collect the moisture as it was being dried out. Thankfully she did as mine was forty miles away. Nothing more I could do but leave the heat on and hope that the dehumidifier would do the trick. I then headed out to visit a friend.

A few hours later I returned and realised that there was no way I could stay in the house that night so I threw my bag in the car and went back to my friend to stay the night. I never said a word to Mam when she called, thinking I could always bring them to Foxford if the worst came to the worst, and maybe that is where we were meant to be.

With the heat and dehumidifier on all night things looked a lot better in the morning. Thankfully Dad and Mam took their time and arrived in the afternoon when all was looking good. I picked Roisin up late Christmas eve and went to bed exhausted thinking you couldn't make this up, and, what worse could possibly happen? I was about to find out.

At nine on Christmas morning my mother was up and buzzing about giving orders for the turkey to go on. I tried to say there was no need to put it on so early but to no avail. With the turkey in the oven I noticed that as soon as I switched it on the lights in the kitchen flickered. I was worried. The house needed to be rewired but I hadn't the money to do it. I said nothing. We all got dressed and headed for mass but I could not settle. I did not feel comfortable; something kept telling me that something was wrong. Jarlath was asleep in bed and I was afraid of another fire.

As the priest was giving out Holy Communion I got the keys off Dad and said, 'Stay here until I come back for you. I need to check something at home.' Coming down the street where we lived my heart was pounding. I knew if the Christmas tree lights were out then we had no electricity but as long as there wasn't a fire I didn't care. Christmas lights were out. I walked straight to the fuse box and turned all off. I removed the turkey and took it next door to cook and headed back to mass, happy, knowing that my son was ok and to hell with the electricity.

I picked up Mam and Dad. I then called Jarlath's friend, an electrician. He arrived half an hour later and told me that the main wire into the house was burnt out and there was nothing we could do. Luckily we had electricity in the basement as it was wired at a different time so I borrowed as many leads as possible from the neighbours. We then had heat, a kettle, a light and of course the TV. The toilet was set up with a candle, as were the bedrooms, ready for the early winter darkness. As I was doing this, Dad was peeling potatoes and Mam doing the veg. What does it matter about anything if you are with the people you love and all is well?' I thought as I blew out the candle to go to sleep. We'd had a great day.

This year all are coming to a beautiful new house in Foxford, that is--all that want their Christmas dinner. The Castlerea house has not been mentioned even though it has been rewired. Mam and Dad are coming by bus and time will tell if Jarlath will leave his friends to join us. That is before he heads to Australia in January.

I'd like to take this opportunity to wish you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas, and may God bless us all no matter which flag we adore.

Comments

Get more stories from our Blogs section

27 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

A luxury car, beer or bingo; it’s your choice

I’ve been flicking through the glossy car brochures and haven’t quite made up my mind yet. What do you think? Should I go for a Lamborghini or a Porsche?

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

In the internet era, does the Unionist computer still say no?

I must admit a couple of stories last week gave me more than a little scare. Firstly, we were reminded that it was the 25th anniversary of the internet. 25 years?

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Maybe it’s the politicians who should be on the run

My 16-year-old daughter is facing some choices at the moment; choices which will affect her long-term future. As she prepares to sit her GCSEs in the next few months, meetings are being held to decide which A levels she will study over the next couple of years.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What are you doing Sunday, baby?

The American singer Tony Orlando released a song in the early 70s called “What Are You Doing Sunday (Baby)”; it was a time, you might think, when activities on the Sabbath were a little different in Northern Ireland. Few shops open, no pubs and hardly anywhere to find something to eat.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

The classic “Pulp Fiction” is a pretty bloodthirsty film, as you might expect from Quentin Tarantino, and the violent characters include mobster’s hitman Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

13 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are the authorities talking when they should be listening?

How are you? Ach, sure there’s no point complaining. Nobody listens anyway!

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

If we can’t see the past clearly, what is our vision of the future?

Here are a couple of lines from a song: “I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.” Which song?

30 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Religion, what’s that all about?

According to the dictionary, to blaspheme means “to speak irreverently about God or sacred things”, coming from the Greek word meaning “evil speaking”. This, according to fundamental evangelical Protestants is what Catholics do to God when they attend Mass.

23 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Has the doc perished on the sword of his own ego?

Like many people, for years I thought that Ian Paisley wasn’t just the leader of the DUP. He WAS the DUP.

5 Dec 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Who are you trying to kid?

The late John Sullivan, who wrote “Only Fools and Horses” was a superb comedy writer. Often, his scripts weren’t just funny, but touched a chord with the realities of life.

28 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The easy way or the hard way; or the right way?

I read this tweet this week: “There are only two ways to do anything. Do the hard thing first and then life will be easy. Take the easy way first and life will be hard.”

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

I’m not going away, you know!

Apparently when men have a night out, they enjoy conversation by insulting each other. But they don’t really mean it.

14 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What type of people remember?

The latest series of Downton Abbey has been very disappointing and it fizzled out with a poor finale on Sunday night. Everything has its day, I suppose, and we move on to something else.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Can society face up to hard truth of a troubled past?

We’ve all got a past, haven’t we?

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Do you need to read such filth?

Presumably before you headed out this morning, you took a quick glance in the mirror.

24 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are you a waster?

It’s Halloween next week, when minds should be focused on school half-term, the clocks going back and plans to watch the wonderful fireworks display that the Council puts on every year.

10 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

How do we move forward while hurt is still raw?

If you are one of the few people who does not watch “Downton Abbey”, let me explain that it is a television series about how an aristocratic family lived in the early part of the last century.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The truth is out there; finding it is sometimes the problem

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Did you ever get that old advice? And no doubt you think it’s good advice.

26 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Is it not all right to sell land to the ‘other side’

I’m sure you’re familiar with John B Keane’s story “The Field” which was made into a marvellous film starring Richard Harris as “Bull” McCabe.