Don't forget to strike the right note this Christmas

Published: 20 Dec 2012 09:300 comments

What's your favourite Christmas song, then?

Now that we're only a few days away from the day, I think it's safe to discuss these things. October is barely out these days and you get the sound of "It's beginning to look a lot like...."

Er, no it wasn't.

But closer to the time, you don't mind; and the happy glow of this season makes me think that, really, "I wish it could be Christmas every day."

I don't really, of course. All that sudden goodwill all the year round! Don't think I could take it!

My favourite Christmas song is "Fairytale of New York." At least it was until I heard Ronan Keating butcher it in his version last week.

But then I heard The Pogues' Shane MacGowan and Kirsty MacColl's version again and all was well. It's hard to believe that it's now 25 years since the song was released, and it would seem I'm not alone in liking it because it consistently tops polls of favourite Christmas songs.

But did you know that your favourite festive song reveals a lot about your character.

Apparently, because I like "Fairytale of New York", it suggests I have a curious, open-minded nature. I like to challenge expectations - and in the same way that this is a beautiful, festive song about a low-life break-up - I hate to be judged on first appearances. In relationships I'm stimulating and lively, always up for a debate, but sometimes I can be controversial for its own sake.

That's me summed up by Smooth Christmas Radio.

I wish now I'd gone for Bing Crosby's "White Christmas" which would make me "steady, safe and sweet."

Or is that my favourite Americano coffee. None of that milky rubbish. Milk is for putting on cereal. There I go, you see, being controversial for its own sake.

It's a bit disconcerting to think that some amateur psychologist in an office somewhere is working out what sort of person I am simply by asking what my favourite Christmas song is.

That's the way we are now, isn't it? Look for a simple label.

If I put my Twitter profile as "Spurs fan. Christian. Journalist. Likes Fairytale of New York", well you'd have my persona and whole identity sussed.

Identity, eh? There's that word again.

I was interested to hear it crop up again on Sunday, in church of all places. Aha, bet you thought "flegs" and all came up in the sermon.

Actually, no. It was a thought-provoking one about our identity as Christians at this very important time of the year for our faith.

I wonder how many of you think that simply putting up a Christmas tree, giving presents and throwing a few bob to charity gets you off the hook as regards celebrating the true meaning of Christmas.

Should our symbols of Christian identity not be backed up by our works all the year round?

Sometimes the truth gets blurred at Christmas. Fairytale of New York is basically a conversation between two people, whose hopes and dreams have been damaged over the years by alcoholism and drug-taking.

Even the line "And the boys of the NYPD choir's still singing Galway Bay." isn't right. Apparently, the New York Police Department doesn't have a choir!

That's life, isn't it. Often we base our likes on some romantic notion or other, and our dreams are shattered by the pressure of life.

But, if we can't see hope through it all at Christmas when the Saviour was born, when can we?

Use this Christmas time to enjoy yourself if you can. You're allowed to. Take a break from the pressures of life, enjoy time with your family and recharge the batteries.

But don't forget those who are having it hard this Christmas and don't forget what the true meaning of this time of year is.

Happy Christmas.

Comments

Get more stories from our Blogs section

27 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

A luxury car, beer or bingo; it’s your choice

I’ve been flicking through the glossy car brochures and haven’t quite made up my mind yet. What do you think? Should I go for a Lamborghini or a Porsche?

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

In the internet era, does the Unionist computer still say no?

I must admit a couple of stories last week gave me more than a little scare. Firstly, we were reminded that it was the 25th anniversary of the internet. 25 years?

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Maybe it’s the politicians who should be on the run

My 16-year-old daughter is facing some choices at the moment; choices which will affect her long-term future. As she prepares to sit her GCSEs in the next few months, meetings are being held to decide which A levels she will study over the next couple of years.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What are you doing Sunday, baby?

The American singer Tony Orlando released a song in the early 70s called “What Are You Doing Sunday (Baby)”; it was a time, you might think, when activities on the Sabbath were a little different in Northern Ireland. Few shops open, no pubs and hardly anywhere to find something to eat.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

The classic “Pulp Fiction” is a pretty bloodthirsty film, as you might expect from Quentin Tarantino, and the violent characters include mobster’s hitman Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

13 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are the authorities talking when they should be listening?

How are you? Ach, sure there’s no point complaining. Nobody listens anyway!

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

If we can’t see the past clearly, what is our vision of the future?

Here are a couple of lines from a song: “I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.” Which song?

30 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Religion, what’s that all about?

According to the dictionary, to blaspheme means “to speak irreverently about God or sacred things”, coming from the Greek word meaning “evil speaking”. This, according to fundamental evangelical Protestants is what Catholics do to God when they attend Mass.

23 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Has the doc perished on the sword of his own ego?

Like many people, for years I thought that Ian Paisley wasn’t just the leader of the DUP. He WAS the DUP.

5 Dec 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Who are you trying to kid?

The late John Sullivan, who wrote “Only Fools and Horses” was a superb comedy writer. Often, his scripts weren’t just funny, but touched a chord with the realities of life.

28 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The easy way or the hard way; or the right way?

I read this tweet this week: “There are only two ways to do anything. Do the hard thing first and then life will be easy. Take the easy way first and life will be hard.”

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

I’m not going away, you know!

Apparently when men have a night out, they enjoy conversation by insulting each other. But they don’t really mean it.

14 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What type of people remember?

The latest series of Downton Abbey has been very disappointing and it fizzled out with a poor finale on Sunday night. Everything has its day, I suppose, and we move on to something else.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Can society face up to hard truth of a troubled past?

We’ve all got a past, haven’t we?

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Do you need to read such filth?

Presumably before you headed out this morning, you took a quick glance in the mirror.

24 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are you a waster?

It’s Halloween next week, when minds should be focused on school half-term, the clocks going back and plans to watch the wonderful fireworks display that the Council puts on every year.

10 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

How do we move forward while hurt is still raw?

If you are one of the few people who does not watch “Downton Abbey”, let me explain that it is a television series about how an aristocratic family lived in the early part of the last century.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The truth is out there; finding it is sometimes the problem

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Did you ever get that old advice? And no doubt you think it’s good advice.

26 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Is it not all right to sell land to the ‘other side’

I’m sure you’re familiar with John B Keane’s story “The Field” which was made into a marvellous film starring Richard Harris as “Bull” McCabe.