If we can’t see the past clearly, what is our vision of the future?

Published: 6 Feb 2014 09:300 comments

Here are a couple of lines from a song: “I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.” Which song?

It’s called “I can see clearly now” released by Johnny Nash in 1972; the year that ABBA was formed, Richard Nixon was re-elected United States president (unknown to everyone that during his election campaign officials broke into the Watergate), Apollo 17 landed on the moon and in Britain the whole fashion range was maxi dresses, mini-skirts and knee socks.

The film “The Godfather” was released.

Luca Brasi still sleeps with the fishes, but if Johnny Nash could see clearly then, I’m not sure if the ensuing events over four decades have allowed us in Northern Ireland to have any great clarity of vision.

I remember exactly where I was in 1972. Do you? OK, some of you weren’t even born, or were just toddlers with no recollection of the time. Some of you wouldn’t consider it a particularly notable time; for others it was an indelible bookmark in their life and they remember it vividly.

I’m in that last category. On St. Patrick’s Day 1972 my mum died, taken cruelly from us by cancer at the age of 40. I think of her often and still remember her voice and hearty laugh.

As devastated as I was, I’m not stuck in 1972, because much has happened to me and the rest of the world in the 42 years since.

The same can be said of every one of us; but naturally every person’s journey has been different and very personal.

I was reminded this week of other deaths in 1972. Do these names mean anything to you? Johnny Fletcher, Louis Leonard, Jean McConville and Geraldine O’Reilly.

Johnny Fletcher was a Protestant farmer on the Fermanagh Border near Garrison, and a part-time UDR man who was taken from his home and family by gunman and shot dead by the Provisional IRA. His death was recalled this week by a neighbour, John McClure speaking to journalist Steven McCaffery for the website www.thedetail.tv. In a superb project about legacy, John McClure returns to his former home, a house which he, his wife and five young children abandoned quickly carrying a few bits of furniture and clothing.

I was aware of the story of Johnny Fletcher, but seeing the story of the McClure family displaced from their home of several generations brings home how many people affected by our conflict remained under the radar.

Louis Leonard was killed in 1972. A young butcher from Derrylin, his body was found in the storage fridge of his own shop where it had been dumped by the loyalist gunmen who shot him.

Perhaps you’ve never heard of Geraldine O’Reilly, In December 1972, just across the Border in Belturbet; the teenage hairdresser was coming out of a chip shop when a UVF bomb exploded killing her and another youngster.

You will probably have heard of Jean McConville, a widow with 10 children and one of the “disappeared” who was kidnapped by Republicans from her Belfast home, killed and her body buried and hidden for decades.

For all these families, the “past” has never gone away. And that is why dealing with our history is so crucial to us moving forward as a society.

These are just a few “stories”, if it isn’t insensitive to call them that. But even in this snapshot, we get some idea of the range and depth of violent brutality visited upon many sections. The IRA killed Border Protestants and Belfast Nationalists. Loyalists, often aided by security force elements, bombed children across the Border (even more grievously two years later with multiple deaths in Dublin and Monaghan.) Loyalists also took it upon themselves to come down to Fermanagh at dead of night to be judge, jury and executioner of someone who it later emerged was in the IRA.

And so it went on for years. Death and destruction which saw more almost 4,000 lives taken, thousands more maimed, people driven out of their homes from Catholics fleeing in Belfast to the fearful abandoning of Protestant farms along the Border.

Are any of these lives any less value in the eyes of God than another? And do we look at these lives differently, and focus only on the wrongdoing of others?

That is what is making dealing with the past such a complicated issue. Even the two Governments are involved. The British Government’s role in the dirty war means, for example, that they won’t open the can of worms of the level of state involvement in the death of solicitor Pat Finucane. And will they ever admit to shoot-to-kill? Well, no.

The Irish Government is still in denial about the role they played in giving early succour to the Provisional IRA, which is examined by Steven McCaffery in his legacy report on the Arms Trial of 1970, or indeed there seems little chance of the Dublin administration examining allegations of the Republic’s policy on extradition making it a safe haven.

Will loyalists ever come clean about the involvement of security force personnel and collusion in their violence?

Will Republicans admit, or even address, claims of “ethnic cleansing” or “genocide” or the sectarian nature of their campaign?

Be honest. Read the last four paragraphs and ask yourself which one vexes you most? Or do you treat them all equally?

Everyone has questions to answer, surely. Yet when we approach the past, it would seem various groups want to either re-write versions of the above, deny them, or simply ask questions of someone else. Storytelling by a project such as the detail is very important.

In an interview with Steven McCaffery, First Minister Peter Robinson said if you are going to deal with the past, you’re going to have to deal with the whole of the past. I hope he really means that, because he’s right.

Painful as it is for everyone.

This week, Robin Eames and Denis Bradley were interviewed on UTV by Sharon O’Neill about the process they had engaged in a few years ago. Denis Bradley made a chilling point; his call for politicians to move on with these matters came with a health warning that if we don’t, a return to the violence of the past was a real possibility.

And remember, apart from the awful deaths I listed in this article earlier, 1972 was the year of Bloody Sunday in Derry when paratroopers killed 14 civilians and Bloody Friday in Belfast when more than 20 IRA bombs across Belfast killed nine people and injured more than 130. And I recall the funeral of Raymond Carroll, an RUC man shot dead in Belfast. He was from Enniskillen, and I remember him from school.

According to the book “Lost Lives” 1972 was the year when the Troubles claimed 497 lives, more than any other year: 280 as a result of Republican activity, loyalists were behind 121 while the army was responsible for 79 deaths and the RUC for six.

You may well think we can never sink to those depths again.

Are you sure?

In Ecclesiastes “A time for everything” it says there is “a time to tear, a time to mend. A time to be silent and a time to speak. A time for war and a time for peace.”

What times are we in, and have we got the community will and political leadership to take us to a better future? That really would be a legacy.

Comments

Get more stories from our Blogs section

27 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

A luxury car, beer or bingo; it’s your choice

I’ve been flicking through the glossy car brochures and haven’t quite made up my mind yet. What do you think? Should I go for a Lamborghini or a Porsche?

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

In the internet era, does the Unionist computer still say no?

I must admit a couple of stories last week gave me more than a little scare. Firstly, we were reminded that it was the 25th anniversary of the internet. 25 years?

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Maybe it’s the politicians who should be on the run

My 16-year-old daughter is facing some choices at the moment; choices which will affect her long-term future. As she prepares to sit her GCSEs in the next few months, meetings are being held to decide which A levels she will study over the next couple of years.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What are you doing Sunday, baby?

The American singer Tony Orlando released a song in the early 70s called “What Are You Doing Sunday (Baby)”; it was a time, you might think, when activities on the Sabbath were a little different in Northern Ireland. Few shops open, no pubs and hardly anywhere to find something to eat.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

The classic “Pulp Fiction” is a pretty bloodthirsty film, as you might expect from Quentin Tarantino, and the violent characters include mobster’s hitman Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

13 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are the authorities talking when they should be listening?

How are you? Ach, sure there’s no point complaining. Nobody listens anyway!

30 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Religion, what’s that all about?

According to the dictionary, to blaspheme means “to speak irreverently about God or sacred things”, coming from the Greek word meaning “evil speaking”. This, according to fundamental evangelical Protestants is what Catholics do to God when they attend Mass.

23 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Has the doc perished on the sword of his own ego?

Like many people, for years I thought that Ian Paisley wasn’t just the leader of the DUP. He WAS the DUP.

5 Dec 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Who are you trying to kid?

The late John Sullivan, who wrote “Only Fools and Horses” was a superb comedy writer. Often, his scripts weren’t just funny, but touched a chord with the realities of life.

28 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The easy way or the hard way; or the right way?

I read this tweet this week: “There are only two ways to do anything. Do the hard thing first and then life will be easy. Take the easy way first and life will be hard.”

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

I’m not going away, you know!

Apparently when men have a night out, they enjoy conversation by insulting each other. But they don’t really mean it.

14 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What type of people remember?

The latest series of Downton Abbey has been very disappointing and it fizzled out with a poor finale on Sunday night. Everything has its day, I suppose, and we move on to something else.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Can society face up to hard truth of a troubled past?

We’ve all got a past, haven’t we?

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Do you need to read such filth?

Presumably before you headed out this morning, you took a quick glance in the mirror.

24 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are you a waster?

It’s Halloween next week, when minds should be focused on school half-term, the clocks going back and plans to watch the wonderful fireworks display that the Council puts on every year.

10 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

How do we move forward while hurt is still raw?

If you are one of the few people who does not watch “Downton Abbey”, let me explain that it is a television series about how an aristocratic family lived in the early part of the last century.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The truth is out there; finding it is sometimes the problem

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Did you ever get that old advice? And no doubt you think it’s good advice.

26 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Is it not all right to sell land to the ‘other side’

I’m sure you’re familiar with John B Keane’s story “The Field” which was made into a marvellous film starring Richard Harris as “Bull” McCabe.

19 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Money makes the public sector world go around

I was once at a quiz when one of the questions was: “Who, it is said, knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing?”