Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

Published: 20 Feb 2014 09:300 comments

The classic “Pulp Fiction” is a pretty bloodthirsty film, as you might expect from Quentin Tarantino, and the violent characters include mobster’s hitman Jules Winnfield, played by Samuel L Jackson.

It’s just as well that in real life the black actor isn’t as trigger happy or ruthless as his on screen persona, or an American television interviewer would have been in trouble this week. Sam Rubin, on Californian television, began by asking Jackson about his commercial on the Super Bowl break.

Jackson paused, and then asked: “What Super Bowl commercial?”

As the interviewer stuttered an apology, the actor quickly realised that he had mistaken him for another black actor, Laurence Fishburne, who had done an advert. It’s not as if Jackson isn’t well-known and he made the interviewer squirm for a while.

Yes folks, even in Obama’s America, there are people who think all blacks look alike.

In this part of the world, we don’t even need a different colour of skin to make assumptions about people. Sadly, too many of us look at eastern Europeans who have settled here and make a great contribution in our county and come up with some stereotypical negative claptrap about them.

And still, even in peacetime Northern Ireland, there is a tendency to look at our own “other side” with a preconceived idea from the past about our own people.

So with elections coming up, survival instincts will kick in and the desire to make sure your own side wins, as much to keep the other side out as anything. The old joke about someone breaking into the Kremlin in Russia and stealing NEXT year’s election results isn’t that far away from the truth in Northern Ireland.

While Scotland’s independence referendum seems to be generating genuine, if sometimes facile, debate, what will be the issues on which our people vote in the forthcoming European and Council elections? And even after that when the next Assembly elections come around, is anybody really expecting it not to result in the DUP and Sinn Fein remaining the largest parties on their own side, the Ulster Unionists and the SDLP struggling to make up, Alliance still in there. Of course, there will be subtle differences around, and who knows how NI21 and the TUV will perform.

But don’t expect any massive change. All five of the main parties should get enough votes to get them back into “government” and there will be no opposition, unless there’s a change of heart. How many DUP voters will consider Edwin Poots performance as Health Minister, or will John O’Dowd’s role as Education Minister win him or lose him votes from Sinn Fein voters?

At least, though, these parties can claim to have a mandate. I’ve been wondering recently about the airtime given to some of the loyalists causing disruption. I’ll admit I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry when the ludicrous squeaky flag protester Jamie Bryson comes on, and I wonder who do people such as him and the not-very-articulate Winston “Winky” Irvine really represent. Surely this is a purely Belfast phenomenon, which the rest of us can only watch in wonder; wondering what are they loyal to and can they not see that they are causing more disruption to their own beloved city than their so-called opponents.

And how many people within the Order does George Chittick speak for when he advises people against learning Irish.

Should they be heard? Well, of course, they should. However small a body of opinion they represent, and they do, all people have the right to be heard. But, what about some perspective.

These are some of the people who the Deputy First Minister, Martin McGuinness refers to when he accuses mainstream Unionists of dancing to the tune of loyalist extremists.

Meanwhile, more and more liberal Unionists are abandoning the political process. One Protestant I spoke to a couple of weeks ago just shook his head and said: “Why would I be bothered with politics?”

Of course, this strategy won’t cost the main Unionist parties any seats; the disillusioned Protestants won’t be going anywhere else. So, the DUP members who still won’t even look at Sinn Fein in the corridor will be returned because it’s easy not to take risks.

But that is a risk in itself to the whole political and peace process.

The only people who can affect change and make political change are the voters.

I read a story recently about a huge barracuda fish in a massive tank at Sea World in the United States. Half way across the tank there is a reinforced glass barrier; the fish swims up and bangs into it a number of times and then realises he can only swim on one side. But after a time, the barrier is removed.

And yet, the barracuda swims up to where it once was and, every time, turns back and stays on his own side of the tank. There is no physical barrier; the barrier is in his mind.

Barriers still exist in our minds, don’t they?

Another story. In a book called Life of Pi, by Yann Martel, there is a character in a lifeboat whose only companion is a 450-pound Bengal tiger. He has to analyse his fears; should he stay in the boat, or jump out into the ocean.

We, in this country, could stay in the situation and be eaten by tiger-like fear, or we could step out of the boat.

The election results will surely tell us that we’re not ready to do that yet, even if the only barrier is in our own minds.

Comments

Get more stories from our Blogs section

27 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

A luxury car, beer or bingo; it’s your choice

I’ve been flicking through the glossy car brochures and haven’t quite made up my mind yet. What do you think? Should I go for a Lamborghini or a Porsche?

20 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

In the internet era, does the Unionist computer still say no?

I must admit a couple of stories last week gave me more than a little scare. Firstly, we were reminded that it was the 25th anniversary of the internet. 25 years?

6 Mar 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Maybe it’s the politicians who should be on the run

My 16-year-old daughter is facing some choices at the moment; choices which will affect her long-term future. As she prepares to sit her GCSEs in the next few months, meetings are being held to decide which A levels she will study over the next couple of years.

27 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What are you doing Sunday, baby?

The American singer Tony Orlando released a song in the early 70s called “What Are You Doing Sunday (Baby)”; it was a time, you might think, when activities on the Sabbath were a little different in Northern Ireland. Few shops open, no pubs and hardly anywhere to find something to eat.

20 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Race or politics, all real barriers are in the mind

13 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are the authorities talking when they should be listening?

How are you? Ach, sure there’s no point complaining. Nobody listens anyway!

6 Feb 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

If we can’t see the past clearly, what is our vision of the future?

Here are a couple of lines from a song: “I can see all obstacles in my way. Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind.” Which song?

30 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Religion, what’s that all about?

According to the dictionary, to blaspheme means “to speak irreverently about God or sacred things”, coming from the Greek word meaning “evil speaking”. This, according to fundamental evangelical Protestants is what Catholics do to God when they attend Mass.

23 Jan 2014 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Has the doc perished on the sword of his own ego?

Like many people, for years I thought that Ian Paisley wasn’t just the leader of the DUP. He WAS the DUP.

5 Dec 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Who are you trying to kid?

The late John Sullivan, who wrote “Only Fools and Horses” was a superb comedy writer. Often, his scripts weren’t just funny, but touched a chord with the realities of life.

28 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The easy way or the hard way; or the right way?

I read this tweet this week: “There are only two ways to do anything. Do the hard thing first and then life will be easy. Take the easy way first and life will be hard.”

21 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

I’m not going away, you know!

Apparently when men have a night out, they enjoy conversation by insulting each other. But they don’t really mean it.

14 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

What type of people remember?

The latest series of Downton Abbey has been very disappointing and it fizzled out with a poor finale on Sunday night. Everything has its day, I suppose, and we move on to something else.

7 Nov 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Can society face up to hard truth of a troubled past?

We’ve all got a past, haven’t we?

31 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Do you need to read such filth?

Presumably before you headed out this morning, you took a quick glance in the mirror.

24 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Are you a waster?

It’s Halloween next week, when minds should be focused on school half-term, the clocks going back and plans to watch the wonderful fireworks display that the Council puts on every year.

10 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

How do we move forward while hurt is still raw?

If you are one of the few people who does not watch “Downton Abbey”, let me explain that it is a television series about how an aristocratic family lived in the early part of the last century.

3 Oct 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

The truth is out there; finding it is sometimes the problem

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Did you ever get that old advice? And no doubt you think it’s good advice.

26 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Is it not all right to sell land to the ‘other side’

I’m sure you’re familiar with John B Keane’s story “The Field” which was made into a marvellous film starring Richard Harris as “Bull” McCabe.

19 Sep 2013 09:30 • How I See It with Denzil McDaniel

Money makes the public sector world go around

I was once at a quiz when one of the questions was: “Who, it is said, knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing?”