Support for sharing in education

Published: 13 Jul 2012 13:000 comments

Dear Sir - Your article on educatiom dated June 28 discussed the Area Planning Process for Rural Schools in Fermanagh with particular reference to Lack Primary School in the north of the county.

From various quarters there appears considerable support for collaboration and sharing of resources, indeed I understand that numerous schools in the county adopt this approach. In these austere times with enormous pressure on the public purse it does not make any semse for small schools such as Lack in semi rural locations just minutes away from other schools with capacity to continue to exist. There will be significantly greater educational benefits for children in a school such as Kesh Primary School or St. Joseph's Primary School, Ederney which do not have composite classes and have significantly greater resources and facilities. If we are to embrace the "big society" offering children a more diverse range of social and educational experiences and outlook then it is imperative that children are offered the opportunity to excel, this will be difficult to achieve in a declining small school in a semi rural location.

Yours faithfully,

Concerned for

Children's

Education

Comments

Get more stories from our Letters section

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Hospital problems lie with management

Dear Madam, - As someone who suffers from a congenital disability and has spent a lot of my younger years in hospital, it annoys me when I see or hear all the negative press directed at our health service.

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Cheerful care

DEAR MADAM - May I take advantage of your excellent “Letters” column to express my sincere thanks and gratitude for coming through major surgery in March of this year.

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

How long before Hollyhill car park closes at night?

Dear Madam, - Amongst other residents of Hollyhill, I was delighted to read reports a few weeks ago that the Council had decided to close Hollyhill car park in Enniskillen overnight.

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

We must keep our young people

Dear Madam, - I note in your paper recently a letter seeking to address the needs of the local economy in Co Fermanagh, many of the sentiments which I would agree with.

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

I want the same opportunity as my sisters

DEAR MADAM - I am a P7 pupil at Jones Memorial Primary School and I have heard many things about the amalgamation and I thought I would have my input as a child about to move on to secondary school.

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Why fix what’s not broken?

DEAR MADAM - Surely it’s the students who should have a say in this.....? It is now, when i am studying for the looming GCSE examinations that I realise how lucky I am to be part of the Collegiate Grammar School community, a community in threat from this newly proposed “amalgamation” with Portora Royal.

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Proposed amalgamation not a done deal

Dear Madam, - As reported in your paper last week (3rd April 2014),we, the members of Fermanagh Protestant Board of Education joined with members of the Board of Governors in making a presentation to parents regarding the proposals initiated by the Western Education and Library Board to open a new co-educational grammar school in Enniskillen which would be constituted as the result of closing both the Collegiate Grammar School and Portora Royal School.

10 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Consider people’s views before consigning school to closure

Dear Madam, - I write to express my concerns regarding the role of the Protestant Board of Education as highlighted by Anti-Amalgamation in your letters page last week.

3 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

If amalgamation proposals go ahead, pupils will have reduced access to grammar schooling

Dear Madam, - I read with interest Mr Morton’s letter of 27 March 2014 in which he attempts to reassure the public in County Fermanagh that the proposed amalgamation of the Collegiate Grammar School with Portora Royal School will not compromise grammar school provision in County Fermanagh.

3 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Don’t consign our successful schools to just pages of history

Dear Madam, - As many of your readers will be aware the WELB, supported by the current Board of Governors of Portora Royal School, are proposing to “discontinue” Portora Royal School, which has existed for almost 400 years, and to “discontinue” Enniskillen Collegiate Grammar School contrary to the express wishes of the Collegiate Board of Governors and many parents, pupils and members of the community in Fermanagh generally.

3 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

New school may never happen

Dear Madam, - Why is it that the Fermanagh Protestant Board of Education thinks that it has the right to propose the closure of the Collegiate Grammar School for which it has NO responsibility?

3 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Not convinced that amalgamation is way ahead

Dear Madam, - As a concerned reader of the Unionist community in Fermanagh, I too feel duty bound to reply to Mr. Morton, Headmaster of Portora Royal School in which he made reference to my letter in the previous week’s edition.

3 Apr 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

How Jews suffered across Europe

Dear Madam, - I suspect that some readers found the informative article in the Impartial Reporter, March 27, on Auschwitz both disturbing and difficult to comprehend; however, it is a good that what occurred should be not forgotten and the Impartial Reporter is to be commended.

27 Mar 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Investment will have to begin at home

Dear Madam, - The G8 summit is now long gone and the lick of paint around our towns and villages has began to fade.

27 Mar 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Fourth St Patrick’s festival bigger than before

Dear Madam, - Through the Impartial Reporter, the voluntary committee of Project St Patrick would like to extend our sincere and huge appreciation to all those who made our 4th festival bigger and better than before, in particular those organisations who put such hard work into entering a float and of course the 15,000 spectators who came out and showed their support.

27 Mar 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Horses losing lives while racing

Dear Madam, - Recently, four horses died at one of the most important events in the racing calendar, the Cheltenham Festival.

20 Mar 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

New meals on wheels service could be confusing for those receiving them

Dear Madam, - I was invited to a “Discussion Group” called by senior staff members of the Western Health and Social Care Trust. It took place in the South West Acute Hospital and its content surrounded “community meals and their distribution” throughout the county of Fermanagh.

20 Mar 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

No guarantee the amalgamated school will use academic selection

Dear Madam, - Recently I watched archive footage of the speech made by Sir Terence O’Neill in 1969 when he declared that ‘Ulster is at the crossroads’ and was struck again by how prophetic his words turned out to be.

20 Mar 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

Lack of grammar school places for unionist tradition

Dear Madam, - In Fermanagh, the education sector remains under immense strain to provide adequate educational facilities for members of our Unionist community.

13 Mar 2014 13:00 • Editorial Department

It was the people of Fermanagh who secured the hospital

DEAR MADAM, - It was with great interest that I read recent letters in your paper, some praising South West Acute Hospital (our local hospital), some ridiculing it.