St. Pat's survive late Derrylin goal flourish

Published: 19 Jul 2012 13:000 comments

St Patrick's 1-14; Derrylin 2-10

St Pat's dominated for much of this league encounter. Two goals late in the second half for Derrylin took the shine off the score line for the Donagh men. Nevertheless, they secured the points and their top of the table position with a one point victory over the O'Connell's.

St. Pat's forward Gary Maguire is sent flying by Derrylin's Gary McBrien.

St. Pat's forward Gary Maguire is sent flying by Derrylin's Gary McBrien.

St Pat's took an early lead through Pat Cadden (free). Barry Little and Jason Cadden extended their lead before Ciaran Maguire pointed to get Derrylin off the mark. St Pat's always kept their noses in front and dominated the first half proceedings as they outplayed their counterparts. Barry Little, Jamie Treacy, Martin Reilly and Pat Cadden all registered points as the league leaders showed why they are sitting two points clear at the top of the table.

With 15 minutes played the Donagh men were awarded a penalty by referee John Mohan. Pat Cadden took the kick, drilling it low and hard to the Derrylin net. The O'Connell's first half points came from Liam McGovern, Damien Cassidy and two from the boot of Eoin Maguire but they trailed 1-09 to 0-05 at the break.

In the second half, St Pat's continued to peg over points with Derrylin always chasing the game. Martin Reilly, Pat Cadden and Shane McDermott all pointed and it looked like the Donagh men were cruising to victory.

However, with only ten minutes remaining Derrylin's Eoin Maguire broke through for two goals in quick succession. This was followed by a point from Damien Cassidy to reduce the deficit further. St Pat's were guilty of a number of wides in this game and the visitors were closing in on their lead. However, St Pat's substitute Michael Montgomery made his introduction count as he sealed the victory with the clincher point late on.

Jump to first paragraph.


comments powered by Disqus