Carson's late point earns Newtown a draw

Published: 26 Jul 2012 13:000 comments

Newtownbutler 0-10; Devenish 0-10;

NEWTOWNBUTLER left it very late as Ryan Carson scored a free deep into injury time to earn the home side a share of the spoils in this bottom of the table clash.

Devenish defender Marty O'Brien takes a tumble under a challenge from a Newtown forward.

Devenish defender Marty O'Brien takes a tumble under a challenge from a Newtown forward.

Both sides are sinking very close to the relegation trapdoor at this stage of the season, and both will perhaps be happy to take a point apiece, although Devenish could, and should, have won the game.

It was the visitors who got off to the better start here, and they found themselves two points to the good after the first five minutes. Joe O' Brien got the first score of the game, before John O' Flanagan added a free.

Newtown had started rather sluggishly, but did manage to register their first score soon after, Ryan Carson with the point.

Devenish were on top at this stage though, and added two further points midway through the half, with Paul O'Brien and Ruairi Doherty both finding the target.

It was a very even contest at this stage as half time approached, and Newtown managed to draw themselves level with three quick-fire scores, Ryan Carson with two points, and conrer forward Frank Mulligan with the other.

Just before the interval both sides exchanged points before a Barry Mulrone free left Devenish one ahead at the break.

Newtown managed to draw level early in the second half with Niall Mohan on target, before Devenish began to dominate, hitting three scores without reply, Barry Mulrone scoring one from play and then a free, before John O'Flanagan slotted over a nice score.

The hosts needed a response, and two points in quick succession put them right back in it, Paul Johnson with a free and James Lewis following up with a point from play.

With injuries holding up play, there was a lot of time added on, and when John O' Flanagan put Devenish two ahead, time was running out for Newtown. However Ryan Carson fired over a point before steadying himself to land a last gasp free to earn his side a much needed draw.

Devenish assistant manager Bart O' Brien felt his side should have won the game. He said, "fair play to Newtown they battled hard to get the draw, but we had chances to see out the game and make sure of the win, and we let it slip. We were controlling the game, but Newtown stuck at it and a draw is perhaps a fair result."

Jump to first paragraph.


comments powered by Disqus