AN ambulance worker tasked to a house in Lisnaskea was put in fear after being confronted by a drunk man with string around his neck and brandishing knives in both hands, Fermanagh Magistrates Court has heard.

Thomas Peter Anthony Mulligan (48), of Trasna Way, Lisnaskea, pleaded guilty to unlawfully assaulting the ambulance worker on July 4, 2017.

The court heard that, at 12.25am, police attended an address at Trasna Way in Lisnaskea.

Ambulance staff had earlier been tasked to the scene in response to a safety report. Upon arrival, they were confronted by a man standing outside the house and shouting.

He had string around his neck and a knife in each hand, the court heard.

Police entered the house and located the male in question in an upstairs bedroom. He told the officers that he would only talk to the sergeant at the scene.

After being informed of the allegations of the ambulance staff, two knives were located in his back pocket.

During interview, he admitted that he had the knives, but claimed that he “only wanted to hurt himself”.

Defending counsel, Steffan Rafferty, told the court that this had been a “very unfortunate” incident, adding that he would go so far as to describe it as “pitiful”.

The barrister said that the emergency services had been tasked following a safety report in connection with Mulligan, who was heavily intoxicated, depressed and displaying suicidal behaviour.

Mr. Rafferty said that the defendant did not mean any ill will towards anyone at the scene and his intention was “only to harm himself”.

However, he added that Mulligan appreciated that ambulance staff “may have been put in fear” by his actions.

In mitigation, the barrister said his client had pleaded guilty to a “technical” assault and while a member of the ambulance service had been put in fear, there was no actual injury.

Mr. Rafferty added that a pre-sentence report that had been prepared alluded to the defendant’s “complex mental health history”. District judge, Michael Ranaghan, observed that the offence was aggravated because the victim was an ambulance worker.

But taking into account that no injuries were caused, Mr. Ranaghan said he would impose a 12-month Probation Order.

He also directed the defendant to pay £150 compensation to his victim.