Enniskillen Rangers 2 Greenisland 0

Enniskillen Rangers made it back to Irish Junior cup wins with a comfortable 2-0 win over Greenisland at the National Stadium at Windsor Park on Monday.

Goals from top marksman and man of the match Jay Keenan settled an encounter in which Rangers were the deserving winners.

Keenan converted a penalty in the 21st minute and his glancing header in the 55th minute settled the game after which Greenisland struggled to muster any real chances or trouble Enniskillen netminder Jerome Carleton.

In truth, Rangers coasted to the final whistle for a second win in as many years in the Blue Riband trophy of Junior football.

Enniskillen Rangers had the better of the first half after weathering an excellent opening 10 minutes from Greenisland.

The game commenced in good style, Willie Burleigh and Jason Keenan combining to set up Kerr who looked to repeat his semi-final heroics with a rasping left footed effort but this time it was well blocked at source.

At the other end, Greenisland came closest when Matthew Sinclair flicked the ball onto strike partner Darren Bell whose 20 yard cannoned off the bar.

Buoyed by this, Greenisland were on top but the cup holders weathered the storm and started to play some excellent football, spraying the ball wide to wingers Christopher Currie and Mark Cutler.

Richard Johnston found Currie who floated over a great ball to William Burleigh but he could not get enough contact on the ball.

Cutler then had a shot easily saved by Greenisland keeper Shane McCarron before Rangers made the breakthrough midway through the half.

Some fine football through the middle ended with Cutler flicking the ball into the path of Currie who broke into the box before he was brought down by Gary Bell.

Jason Keenan confidently tucked the ball into the right corner of the net for 1-0.

Thereafter Rangers were on top and forced a couple of corners and Cutler shot over from 14 yards as the ball broke to him.

Greenisland had a couple of frees late on but never troubled Jerome Carleton as the Enniskillen side led 1-0 at the break.

Greenisland again started the second half well but struggled to break down the formidable Rangers defence and when Rangers doubled their lead with their first real attack of the second half, it was pretty much game over.

Currie was again the provider as he cut in from the right and delivered an inch perfect pass for Keenan who flicked a superb effort into the net.

2-0 up Rangers were now in command and saw the rest of the game out with a degree of comfort.

Cutler, subs Andy Johnston and Jarno Glass had chances to wrap the game up but missed the target.

At the other end, Greenisland battled to the end but barely had a shot in anger as the 'Gers made it back to back wins.

Cue the celebrations.

Enniskillen Rangers

Jerome Carleton, David Crozier, Stuart Rainey, Neil Coulter, Richard Johnston, Michael Kerr, Mark Cutler (Robinson), William Burleigh, Jason Keenan (Johnston), Christopher Currie (Glass), Ciaran Smith


Shane McCarron, David Tumilty (Copeland), Gary Bell, Simon Moffett, Gary Dodds, Ryan Greer, Gareth McGuinness, Shaun Richards, Alan Blain, Darren Bell, Matthew Sinclair(McGeogh).