A 71-YEAR-OLD man has launched an appeal against his conviction for allegedly threatening to kill his step-son.

David Dillon, of Main Street, Belleek, was charged with making threats to kill his step-son and threatening to damage a property at Tullychurry Road, Kesh, belonging to his now ex-partner, on February 5, 2018.

He strenuously denied the allegations against him, but was convicted after a contest heard before Fermanagh Magistrates Court.

At his sentencing on Monday, the prosecutor told the court that, on February 5, police were tasked to an incident at Tullychurry Road.

The injured party claimed that his step-father had made threats to kill him and approached him with a meat cleaver.

It was further alleged that the defendant had made threats to damage property.

During a subsequent police interview Dillon denied the offences, the court heard.

The prosecutor also told the court that she was making an application for a restraining order.

Outlining the background to the incident, defending solicitor, Gary Black, told the court that his client had been living in the property in question for a number of years with his partner, daughter and step-son.

The solicitor said that, on the morning in question, Dillon had been in the property having breakfast when his step-son returned home after spending the weekend with his girlfriend.

Mr. Black alleged that they then became involved in a “verbal exchange” over a number of heavy items that had been left by the step-son on furniture in the defendant’s shed.

The solicitor said it was during this confrontation that Dillon was alleged to have made a gun symbol with his hand and threatened to shoot his step-son.

Mr. Black admitted that, unfortunately, there were “unhappy differences” in the relationship.

The solicitor revealed that, following the incident, Dillon had to declare himself homeless to the Housing Executive and was given emergency accommodation, which had impacted on his contact with his daughter.

Mr. Black said that his client’s relationship had ended and he had made steps to move on.

In mitigation, the solicitor told the court that Dillon had a clear record.

District judge, Michael Ranaghan, observed that, while it had been a serious incident, he would not send the defendant in prison and would instead deal with the matter by way of a financial penalty.

The judge imposed fines totalling £300 and also ordered Dillon to pay a £15 offender levy.

Mr. Ranaghan also imposed a restraining order on the defendant for a period of three years.

Meanwhile, Dillon was later granted his own bail of £500 to appeal against his conviction.