A man in his 70s, who was overcome by slurry fumes, was rescued by another man in a farm on Killylacky Road today. 

Three fire appliances attended the scene along with two Emergency ambulance crews, two Officers, two Hazard Response teams and one Rapid Response Paramedic.

A statement from the Northern Ireland Fire Service said:

“A man in his 70s was overcome by slurry fumes while mixing slurry in a shed. The man had collapsed and he was rescued by another man in his 40s from the shed prior to the arrival of Firefighters.  Both men were treated at the scene by paramedics. Two cows in the shed were overcome by the fumes and died as a result. The incident was dealt with at 1.27pm. 

“We would like to remind the farming community to ensure that the mixing of slurry is carried out in well ventilated spaces.  Stay out of the shed for 30 minutes after starting mixing or after moving or re-directing the pump; try to mix on a windy day.”

The Ambulance service confirmed that "following assessment and initial treatment at the scene, no one was transferred to Hospital".