Where these cattle now graze, the land was once earmarked for the heroes of World War One to come and live life after the battles had ended.

These pictures of Cleenish Island, taken in July, show the abandoned houses and historical relics which lie covered by overgrown vegetation. A reminder that this was supposed to be a place for ex-serviceman to come and make a life for themselves.

The idea for Cleenish Island was an idyllic one.

A new home for the soldiers of World War One as part of a British Government programme at the time called "Home Fit For Heroes" which later became the 1919 (Sailors and Soldiers) Land Act.

The purpose was to enable the returning soldiers, many of them with scars both mental and physical, to settle back into normal civilian life.

For many of those who relocated to the island the battles never ended. The physical and mental scars living with the soldiers for the rest of their lives. The experiences they had during the war etched in their memories or on their skin.

On this particular island in Bellanaleck, 11 war veterans were given up to 40 acres of land, a house and left to live off the land.

However, out this 11 only one soldier, Johnny Balfour, lived on the island for the rest of his life.

The island life must have suited Johnny for he lived until the age of 102. His son and daughter, Sammy and Bella, continued to live on the island after his death.

Before the bridge to the island was built in 1956, the occupants had to use a boat to get back and forth. Everything from everyday essentials to livestock were transported on the boat to the island.

There was no running water or electricity or gas connected to the island either.

Many of the men made an attempt of making a life on the island, however, over time all but one moved off the land.

The ex-servicemen did not have an easy life on the island, wet summers and an outbreak of cattle fluke made the early years difficult. Added to this, raising the money to repay the farm loans was also a constant worry.

Going back further in history, the island also boasts a monastic site which dates back to the sixth century.

The monastery was founded by St. Sinnell around 550AD and was where St. Columbanus was a scholar.

The Celtic Crosses (pictured) which lay strewn across the island are a reminder of the early religious history of the site.