Police enquiries are ongoing following a crash on the Makenny Road, Ballinamallard where the driver of the vehicle “made off” from the scene.

Speaking to The Impartial Reporter, a spokesman for the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) said: “At 12.30am on Tuesday morning (February 4) a car was heading out of town and a police car was heading into town. The car heading out of town only had one headlight operating, so the police went along, found a spot to turn and turned to go and speak to this person.”

The PSNI spokesman explained that “the police were just driving along, that they weren’t pursuing the car because it was already out of sight. They obviously seen the police car and disappeared out that road, so the police car had turned and were driving along, came around a bend and there was the car, on its roof,” the PSNI spokesman told this newspaper.

He explained that the police officers went over to the car but there was nobody in it.

“They got the torches out, went round and looked, got the police dog out and had a look around with it. There was nobody there, so whoever was in the car had made off from the scene,” the PSNI spokesman said, adding: “They also called the fire service because they have thermal imaging devices so if somebody is in a hedge they’ll be able to pick them out.”

One appliance from Irvinestown Fire Station and one appliance from Enniskillen Fire Station attended the incident following a call at 1.28am.

A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS) stated: “Firefighters were called to a one vehicle road traffic collision on the Makenny Road. A car was on its roof in a field with no occupant. To ensure no causalities had been ejected from the vehicle, firefighters carried out a search of the area.”

“No casualties were discovered. The scene was handed over to the PSNI and the incident was dealt with by 2.57am,” the NIFRS spokesman said.

Currently the PSNI are attempting to determine who was driving the vehicle.

“Enquiries are ongoing in regards to it. There’s no reports of injuries in the hospital,” the PSNI spokesman concluded, in a statement.