IT WAS a cold, still morning in Enniskillen when dignitaries from across these islands laid wreaths at the cenotaph in memory of those who died at war.

This year, the dignified ceremony, hosted by the Enniskillen branch of the Royal British Legion, saw the numbers of those in attendance limited due to the Covid-19 pandemic, with only selected representatives present.

However, the socially-distanced Act of Remembrance was live-streamed on the St. Macartin’s Cathedral website for the whole community to see.

A number of invited Government, civic, armed forces, ex-service and community representatives were in attendance for the solemn, respectful event.

Dignitaries who laid wreaths including First Minister Arlene Foster; Robin Walker MP, Minister of State at the Northern Ireland Office, representing the British Government, and the Republic's Taoiseach, Micheál Martin.

Mr. Martin was the third successive taoiseach to lay a wreath in Enniskillen in memory of Irish war dead, following on from the tradition started in 2013 by previous taoisigh, Enda Kenny and Leo Varadkar.

His attendance continued an increased recognition by the Irish government of Irishmen who had fought and died for the British Army in the First World War.

Those who laid wreaths included Viscount Brookeborough, Her Majesty’s Lord Lieutenant for Co. Fermanagh; Breda McGrenaghan, High Sheriff of Co. Fermanagh; Bryan Wockley, Deputy US Consul General; Jerome Mullen, Honorary Consul of the Republic of Poland; Cllr John Coyle, Vice-Chair, Fermanagh and Omagh District Council; Commander JD Patterson RN, Senior Naval Officer Northern Ireland; Brigadier CD Davies OBE, Commander, 38 (Irish) Brigade; Wing Commander Jacqueline Rankin, RAF, and John Jones, Chairman, Royal British Legion, Enniskillen Branch.

The Act of Remembrance in Enniskillen is usually attended by hundreds of people, with this year's service also marking 33 years to the day the Remembrance Day bombing in Enniskillen.

The atrocity saw 11 people killed and dozens more were injured moments before the 1987 Act of Remembrance was due to begin. A 12th victim of the bombing died 13 years later, having never woken from a coma.

Family members of those who died on November 8, 1987 gathered in the town centre at 10:30am on Remembrance Sunday to lay wreaths to remember their loved ones who died that fateful day.