An inquisitive young lad finds bullets and a bomb

A timely discovery by a little boy in Enniskillen on Saturday afternoon averted the perpetration of what was evidently contemplated as an outrage, which might possibly have been attended with a considerable loss of loss.

Some members of the ‘A’ Special Constabulary who are stationed in a portion of the Workhouse premises proceeded to cut down the high hedges on the approach to their barracks, and heaped the cut branches in an adjoining field with the intention of burning them.

On Sunday afternoon, however, a boy named John Vaughan happened to stroll into the field, and when examining the pile of brushwood, saw something shining in the middle of it. He pulled this out, to find it was a live rifle bullet.

Pursuing his investigations, he then found four more rifle bullets, and five live revolver bullets, together with a large round metal object.

Seeing a police sergeant cycling along the road from the Workhouse barracks, the little chap stopped him and explained what he had found.

The sergeant then made a search himself and took all the articles to the Workhouse, where the round object was found to be a bomb of a deadly character.

The object of placing these bullets and the bomb in the centre of the pile was plainly to kill or injure the specials who might get it on fire.


Man remanded at a SPECIAL court sitting

At a Special Court in Irvinestown on Friday before Mr. Glass, R. M., was charged by Captain Moore, D. I., Kesh, with having been in possession of seditious documents relating to an illegal association. Mr. Herbert, LL.B., represented the accused.

A police witness produced a number of documents which he found in a box in a tree beside a house on the lands of the accused, and he said he admitted that the writing on certain of these documents was his.

The documents included monthly reports of the third local Battalion I.R.A., battalion financial accounts and more. The most recent date on any of the documents was February 13, 1922.

Evidence of arrest having been given, Capt. Moore applied to have the prisoner remanded for eight days, and Mr. Glass made the order accordingly.