Charles Broom hopes his run to the final of the LTA’s Rothesay Open is the start of a successful summer on grass.

The 26-year-old rose from qualifying to reach the final of the ATP Challenger Tour event, eventually losing to compatriot and fellow qualifier Jacob Fearnley 4-6 6-4 6-3.

Broom’s run to the final included victory over British No.3 and former Rothesay Open champion Dan Evans, and the St Albans player admitted he cannot be too disheartened despite falling at the final hurdle.

“It has been a great week,” he said. “Going into the first round of qualifying I didn’t expect to be here.

“I can’t be too disappointed with how I played. I have got Ilkley next week and hopefully some involvement in Wimbledon would be great.

“Hopefully this is just the start for me.

“It was a tough match. When I play Jake it’s always pretty close and it was. He did really well at the end there to serve it out, so a lot of credit goes to him and the way he played, especially saving those break points. I had a couple in the second, a couple in the third and didn’t take my chance.”

Broom took the first set against Fearnley but his Edinburgh-born opponent fought back, saving a number of break points in both the second and third sets to take victory in just under two hours for his first ATP Challenger Tour title.

With rain affecting much of the schedule during the week in Nottingham, Broom was forced to play his semi-final against Billy Harris earlier in the day before taking on Fearnley.

Broom beat Harris 6-4 6-4, while Fearnley also played his last four match early on Sunday, getting past Italy’s Mattia Bellucci 6-3 6-1.

And Broom was pleased with the way he came through the semi-final in straight sets while also reserving praise for the condition of the courts after a wet week.

He added: “I have played Billy numerous times and I know he is extremely talented. I think our games match up quite evenly, we both serve well and hit backhands pretty solidly.

“I knew it was going to be tough from the start. To get the first was great, to go down an early break in the second wasn’t great but I bounced back well and came through it in the end.

“To play on these amazing grass courts, the grounds staff have done an unbelievable job to keep them in this great shape with the weather.

“Thanks to all the referees and officials as well, we’ve had a lot of late nights so to stay focussed in these times is pretty tough."

For the latest action on the British summer grass court season, check out the LTA website